“Lovely rooms but why charge for wifi!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Adina Apartment Hotel Berlin Mitte

Adina Apartment Hotel Berlin Mitte
Ranked #15 of 633 Hotels in Berlin
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely rooms but why charge for wifi!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here when visiting with friends in Berlin. The hotel is about 5-10 minute walk from the train station. Easy to find as you just follow the roadworks which are all along the road as they lay down track. This noise didn't effect my stay. The staff were very friendly at the hotel and helped me out with all my questions. The rooms are spacious and a very comfortable bed which I slept well in. The only problem was that they are a hotel they still decides to charge for wifi in the room. I really think its best to factor it into the room cost. Also when you buy a voucher it is for one device only so if you have multiple devices you need to buy a couple.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank PlayboyPK

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

We traveled as two couples and originally tried to book a two bedroom apartment but they were booked out, so settled for two one bedroom apartments next door, which was perfect for us all. Yes, the walk from the Hauptbahnhof was made a little more difficult with all the roadworks, but talking it slowly, once someone had pointed us in the right direction, we made it ok. The return journey was better as part of the path had been improved, so it is only a matter of time before it will be easier the whole way. The location is excellent and as we like to walk when visiting new places, we were able to do most of our sightseeing with minimal use of public transport. We elected to do the Hop On, Hop Off bus to orientate but be warned. One (at least) company, finishes very early and will drive by stranded passengers at a stop, even when still theoretically inside the operating hours. We saw this happen at least twice from the same company (one of the yellow bus lines). We were lucky because an opposition driver saw it happen to us and offered us a lift free of charge back to wherever we wanted to get off. It was the red line, so give them a go. We tipped him with money for a beer. Thanks, mate.
Back to the hotel- it was fantastic. Well appointed, free wifi in the lounge area, spacious, comfortable beds, safe area, shops and restaurants nearly etc. We had dinner together in our apartment on two nights from room service which was delicious, as we were too footsore to go out again. Finding a Lidl supermarket just down the street, we were able to wash the meal down with a more than adequate €2 bottle(s) of wine. The Italian restaurant just outside the front door was also very good. Unfortunately we never had time to use the pool
We all highly recommend the Adina Apartments for your next stay in Berlin.

Room Tip: Apartments overlooking the side street and a car park are lovely and quiet
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nagatron
ABHBSchmid, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Berlin Mitte, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Dear Nagatron,

Thank you very much for your stay at the Adina Apartment Hotel Berlin Hauptbahnhof and your time to post your experiences on Trip Advisor.
It’s great to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciated the Hotel with its facilities.
We are thankful for your kind explanations and recommendations as other guests will be reading your comments.
We are sorry to read that you made some bad experience with the Bus Company.

We are delighted to welcoming you back at the Adina Apartment Hotel Berlin Hauptbahnhof.

Best wishes
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

Top class 4 star hotel, less than 1 km away from the Main Train Station with international standard clerk and a very good breakfast, not included on my room rate which was less than 100 Euros per night, with breakfast at 19 euros per person per day. Good pool and sauna facilities and good tips by the people working there. Only small issue is that the shower box does not have a full window, just a half one, which makes sure the bath floor will get at least wettish every time you take a shower. It costs less than 20 euros by taxi from Berlin Tegel. Will come back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear rodlamas,

Thank you very much for your time to leave us your positive comment on Trip Advisor. The whole team is happy to read that you are describing the Hotel as "Top class 4 star Hotel" .
We are looking forward to welcome you back at the Adina Apartment Hotel Berlin Hauptbahnhof.

Kind regards
Wiltshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

For our first trip to Berlin, my sister and I chose to stay at the Adina Hauptbahnhof as we didn't want to be right in the centre, but needed easy access to the transport network. We found the area perfect for our needs, as it was quiet and felt safe. As others have noted, the main station was about a 10 minute walk, along the roadworks, but when we were there, there was always a sectioned off pedestrian walkway, so access was not an issue. There is also a bus stop directly opposite the hotel. At least one of the buses from this stop terminates at the Hauptbahnhof, so it is possible to reach the station without walking and to return to the hotel via the bus service if you prefer. I would strongly recommend the Berlin Welcome card for anyone staying 48 hours or more, as it covers all public transport as well as offering discounts on many activities. I certainly saved a substantial amount and enjoyed the fact that I could use any form of public transport without having to fish for change. I bought my card at the airport, but the hotel does sell them.

The hotel was excellent value - we managed to get a great deal and were dubious about the quality of accommodation we would get for our money. We shouldn't have worried. We were allocated to a spotless, spacious and modern studio apartment, at the back of the hotel, looking out to an office building, but no traffic noise. the room was comfortable and contained everything we needed, including bath, over bath shower, fridge, kettle, toaster, microwave and even an iron and ironing board. There was a long desk, an eating area and a sofa. Everything was in excellent condition and worked well; we did not have the issue with our air conditioning that a previous reviewer noted. The electronic safe was included with the room and there was ample storage space.

Staff were all very friendly, polite and helpful, all spoke good English and the reception staff were always happy to give directions or any other assistance. The free Internet terminal in the restaurant was ideal for confirming our return transfer and checking flight details and when this was busy on one occasion, one of the members of the restaurant staff kindly brought out an i -phone for us to use so that we didn't have to wait, which was an excellent touch. The customer service throughout was brilliant.

Our package included breakfast, which was always fresh, varied and plentiful, with some hot options as well as continental, fresh juices and fruit that was regularly topped up.

We only used the pool once, as it always seemed to be busy, but it was nice to have the option of a cool dip. There are lockers, bathrobes and towels provided free of charge. The pool area is only accessible with your room key, so is secure. ( you also need your key to operate the lift, so the hotel feels very safe).

Overall, we had a lovely stay in Berlin and would not hesitate to return to the Adina hotel in the future.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank M98025
Dear M98025,

Thank you so much for your time to leave your detailled feedback on Trip Advisor.
It is good to hear that you and your sister enjoyed your stay with us and that you appreciated the value of the hotels facilities and its location as well.
We are happy to read that your choice for your next Berlin stay would be an Adina Hotel.

Best wishes
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

I have just completed an eleven day stay at this hotel. It was my second visit to Berlin, the first having taken place in 1988. There was, of course, no comparison between the then divided city and the now reunited city.

I chose this hotel upon the basis of TripAdvisor comments. In general terms, I agree with the commendatory things said by many of the recent commentators. I need not repeat that material. (It might be useful for an intending reader to refer to my report on the Hotel Hayk in Cologne for some relevant personal information).

BUT ... ... ...

1. This hotel is NOT especially convenient to the Hauptbahnhof. It would be in any circumstances quite a hike with luggage from the station to the hotel, but that situation is made much more burdensome by reason of the fact that very major roadworks are currently taking place along the entire length of that part of the Invalidenstrasse which has to be negotiated in order to reach the hotel. I have no idea how long it will take to complete these roadworks, but from the look of things I would expect that it must take another twelve months or so. The Platz vor dem Neuen Tor is a construction wasteland: it is easy to walk past it without realizing what it is. Do not be misled by comments to the effect that the hotel is across from the Hauptbahnhof, as though it were just a stone's throw to get from the one to the other. It isn't!

2. Breakfast is an additional charge. The cost is 19 Euros. Taking as representative an exchange rate of 70 eurocents to the $A, that works out at about $A 27, which seems to me to be very steep as an add-on charge for a good, but not in any way outstanding, breakfast buffet.

3. Wi-fi is available in all rooms. I had a room on the third floor and the reception was excellent. BUT, there is an additional charge. It ranges from 3.5 euros for three hours, up to 14.5 euros for 24 hours. I travel with an iPad mini and I use it constantly: for e-mail, of course; but also in order to read each morning an Australian newspaper; in order to keep abreast of several magazines to which I subscribe; and in order to get travel and the like general information as I move from place to place.

I accept that opinions can reasonably differ upon this point, but my own view is that reliable wi-fi access is as much a basic requirement for a modern day traveller as, for example, clean sheets and towels, and I think that it is a very unfair imposition to make a charge, let alone a fairly substantial charge for it.

4. I have found this year that food and alcohol are very expensive in Germany. To eat in a half-decent restaurant will cost upwards of 20 euros for a main plate. Table wine is hugely expensive: a glass of reasonable but by no means exceptional wine can be expected to cost upwards of 7 euros. One does not have to indulge in a grand three course meal with, say, two glasses of wine to reach a bill of something like 40+ euros, or going on for $A 60.

Because I was travelling alone and because it was, therefore, convenient to do so, I dined on most evenings at the Adina itself. The food was very good. The service was excellent. It was, even so, a fairly pricey expedient.

5. And a final and personal gripe that is not by any means peculiar to the Adina.

When I checked in I was asked for a credit card. I have never operated a credit card. I was charged, therefore, a cash deposit of 100 euros for "extras". I point out that the WHOLE of my accommodation cost had been paid through my Travel Agent and paid, what is more, quite some time before my arrival.

Perhaps other travellers do not have this problem because almost everyone has a credit card these days. I encounter the problem from time to time and I resent it bitterly. I resent most of all the plain implication that, unless I give virtually open-ended access to a credit card and so am constrained to behave myself, there is reason to suspect that I will run away from the hotel without paying my bill, or trash the room, or abuse the mini-bar, or in some other way misbehave to the detriment of the hotel. Surely experienced hotel reception staff are capable of making a prudential judgment, customer by customer, about the need for exacting a cash deposit "in case there are any extras". There are few things that rile me more in the course of my travels than this odious practice.

• Stayed July 2013
Brighton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

LOCATION:
In reality Adina is 10 minutes walk from the Hauptbahnhof, and located in a very quiet if safe area on the edge of the university/hospital area with few shops, cafes or restaurants nearby.
It is 5 minutes from the Naturkundemuseum U-bahn.

ROOMS:
The property itself is as good as its sister property in Hackescher Markt where I have stayed several times before (and would highly recommend).
My room was large with a separate if small lounge area including the kitchenette.
Nicely decorated.
The only fault was that the air conditioning didn't seem to work which was a problem as it was stiflingly hot and humid in Berlin during my stay.
I only stayed one night and so there seemed little point in complaining to the staff in the middle of the night.

SERVICE
The service is warm and welcoming, although I had little need to talk to them as I did not use the restaurant.

FACILITIES
Free wifi in the lobby only.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo