“An unconventional hotel near the convention center...that bespeaks Berlin ubercool”
Review of Michelberger Hotel

Michelberger Hotel
Ranked #132 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 24, 2010

The Michelberger is a truly unique, very special experience - but it is not for everyone. The hotel's theme is "under construction" - and they play this out with spackle on the walls above a certain height. One does gets the feeling they might have just been too cheap to finish painting, but they manage to pull it off. The lobby and cafe are really confortable, and have the vibe of a chill cafe. Hipsters hung out all hours of the day and night, and the decor is created by rotating displays of bold art and piles and piles of random books.

We stayed in three different rooms over three nights - we had booked a room for 3 people, but when we arrived they didn't have that room available. To their credit, they gave us two doubles for the price of one - but this still was not adequate as we wanted 3 individual beds, and 2 of us guys had to bunk together. The double-bed rooms are really small and only adequate for a close couple or single. The last two nights were better, as we had the "loft" room we originally reserved, which are a fantastic deal in this city. The hotel itself is clearly an old factory, and the rooms do have a very loft feel - I wish they did better with the appointments and toiletries, as these are a little on the cheap side. The hotel is really great for young people who don't need lots of service or luxuries - when we asked for bedding for the sofa/bed in the room, it was dumped off by the night watchman. We had to make the bed ourselves. I'm not looking for Ritz-Carlton service, but having to make my own bed in a hotel was a bit annoying.

I grew to really like the location, but first impressions were that it was strange. It is located out on what feels like an overpass by a major convention center. The U-bahn line terminates across the street, but it is not the most useful line if you are trying to get to the center of Berlin. The S-bahn station is a bit of a walk through inhospitable industrial surroundings, but nothing unsafe or really far. It doesn't really feel urban - surrounded by rail yards and vacant lots, but somehow works with the place. The location is, however, very close to the hippest nabe in Berlin - Freidrichstein. Great restaurants, shops and cafes are really a 10-15 minute walk away. The location is kinda perfect for what must be the interests of their clientele.

If you don't go expecting top service or a "normal" hotel, the Michelberger is truly a hipster find - this is not your typical boutique hotel or design hotel experience, but one that has rougher, edgier vibe that bespeaks uber cool Berlin.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Judd S
Write a ReviewReviews (1,046)

Reviewed January 19, 2010

This hotel has everything you need for a great trip to Berlin, and represents a tremendous value. The location is ideal for exploring the hip neighborhood of Friedrichshain (and the East Side Gallery) on foot. To get to other parts of the city, the U-bhan and S-bahn are directly across the street -- this will end up saving you loads of money on cab fare. Even in the dead of winter, we used cabs only to/from the airport. For all other trips, the U-bahn, S-bahn and buses are the way to go.

The public areas of the hotel are decorated well, especially the breakfast room. Speaking of which, the buffet breakfast could not have been more perfect -- and for only 9 Euros, it is a steal (especially if you eat as much as I do.) The rooms are very basic, but very comfortable. You have everything you need as a tourist in these rooms. The beds could not be more comfortable, and if you stay in a loft room as we did, you will not want to get out of bed because of the "cocoon" effect you experience on top of the loft. Also, our room was on the second floor and looked out onto the street facing the U-bahn but there was zero noise from the outside.

Note: if you are a business traveler, this hotel might not be ideal for you. There are no fax machines (or telephones) in the room and there is no business center or fitness center. These are things I usually look for when traveling on business. Also, I do not think the location is ideal for business travelers who probably want to be closer to other areas of the city. I also do not think there are conference rooms available at the hotel for business meetings.

The price cannot be beat. When staying in Berlin, I normally pay more than double what I paid to stay here. Yet I found myself wanting for nothing, and, in fact, enjoying my experience much more.

Lastly, I want to comment on the service. On the morning of our checkout, we waited outside the breakfast room just before 7 a.m. when it opens. Because an employee was ill, there was only one staff member responsible for preparing the breakfast and setting it up on the buffet. She saw us waiting and opened the breakfast room a little early for us. She could not have been more friendly and apologetic for the fact that she needed a little extra time to get things completely ready due to being short-staffed. She put out items as they were ready and told us repeatedly (in perfect English) that if we needed anything we should ask her for it. Her apologies were totally unecessary as we understood that we were very early (we had to get to the airport to catch our flight) and despite being short-staffed she had the place under control. But her friendliness and concern were truly exceptional and is part of the reason why I would want to stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 4, 2010

How happy I am that I chose this hotel while hesitating with a cheaper solution !!! This is simply the hotel where you have to stay in Berlin. I spent 5 nights at MichelBerger around Xmas with a friend. The hotel was created by a group of friends and opened last July and is therefore spotless. The large chill out area is perfect to have a beer and exchange with other fellow travellers. Without talking about the super stylish deco and great music! It is very much a backpacker atmosphere with the comfort of a strong 3* hotel for a ridiculous price (€65 p.n. excl. breakfast). Took the breakfast twice (€9 p.p.) and didnt regret it (fresh fruits, cheese, croissants, eggs, etc.)

The hotel is ideally located at Warschauer Strasse with the U-Bahn, S-Bahn and Tram all nearby. Points of interests like the East Side Gallery is only a 5min walk. Simon Dach Strasse with its tons of bars only 10min walk, and you basically reach any part of the city in less than 20min.

Most important is the fantastic/fab staff ! Berlin was almost dead on Xmas eve and we were unable to find a restaurant open. They offered us to sit at their table with friends and family... never spent such a nice Xmas while abroad! So so welcoming!

If you're looking for smtg outside of the box and/or 100% Berliner, that's the place where you want to stay!

You definitely see me there next time I'll go to Berlin :)

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank benzbb
Reviewed December 28, 2009

We had an amazing stay here,. it's quite Hoxton/New Yorky. Simple clean kooky rooms,. great music compilations in the bar, brilliant value for money, fab breakfast,. very beautiful and ridiculously helpful staff,. gorgeous dog! and very comfy chill out area. Also, it was situated in a great area, I would definitely go again, and would indeed highly recommend it.
Its a perfect place to stay for a city break. They've got it SO right!
Get a room at the back if you can,. the only downside to this place is it can be noisy at the front as its situated on a main road. I switched room to the court yard area which was very quiet. Also, there's no baths ,. only showers (apart from in the delux suite)

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 24, 2009

We are totally enthusiastic about this Hotel. If you do look for something a bit outside the box, something a bit different, something a bit ...maybe "Berlinish": Go there. It reflects the great vibe of the city better than any other Hotel. And i think i can say that, since i ve lived in Berlin 2 years ago for a while. Didn't feel like crashing on the couch and got this place recommended by an old Berliner, who knows the owner Tom.
Great atmosphere, cool staff, AWESOME breakfast, live music, our room was super nice, etc...as said. Enjoyed it big time.
Thumbs up from Norway!

Check the little details in the rooms, eg. on the soap...and if you have the chance: talk to Tom or Nicolas. They know what to do best & when in Berlin.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 17, 2009

The hotel was simply perfect.
I had my reservations as when we booked there wasnt much to go on given how new it was. But as soon as we arrived it just felt comfortable and welcoming. From "the shining" inspired hallways to the quirky decorations, the spacious rooms and the friendly staff we couldnt fault the place. The bed was set above the rest of the room meaning we had so much space, plenty of quiet half hours lounging on the daybed.
The location is really good, near the trendy locations in the East and lots of transport links. We had no problem getting all round town and back again.
Only made breakfast once, but there was plenty to it and the large breakfast room had lots of charm. The lounge / bar was great. It felt so homely that you cant help but kick of your shoes and curl up on the couch whilst sipping your cocktail....until you suddnely realise its 3am and you should really go back to bed.
We'll definitely be going back and I'm already recommending this hotel to everyone!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 15, 2009

...it's that simple, I've just got back to England from my three night stay in Berlin and the hotel proved a significant feature of my completely positive experience.

My girlfriend had booked so I was aware that it was going to be a 'hip' budget hotel but could not have envisaged the ambience, the relaxed aesthetic that infuses everything about the place without ever comprimising on quality or value for money.

The ground floor is welcoming, warm and stylish. There is a large lounge bar area that guests and non-guests lazily mingle throughout the day and night. The bar is well stocked - it has good quality and tasty food - and was tended by a quirky range of staff ranging from pretty young things to men in their fifties in strangely apt bow ties. I really liked it that the one quality that united the staff was friendliness and not age, looks or background.

The room was an impressive design feat with a mezzanine floor holding the bed that faced a huge window overlooking the grafitti-strewn train line. It might not sound a huge aesthetic hit but then it depends what you like; I liked the quality of the room, the view showed me an undeniable aspect of the city I was in and it felt honest but stylish.

The breakfast is fantastic value and was a real pleasure. For 9 euros they serve fresh breads, fruit, meats, cheeses, wonderful scrambled eggs, tasty coffee and the nicest jams I've had in a while. It makes a mockery of the breakfasts too often found in large corporate chain hotels.

Finally, I guess I would say the staff were a significant aspect of our experience. They were friendly, clearly loving their jobs and part of something more than simply a business. The place has an ethos of relaxed but unwavering style, and it is delivered at a bargain basement price. If more hotels go this way then all the better for us.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends