“Cool or tepid?”

Ranked #119 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Cool or tepid?”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed here on business and didn't pay the bill so have no idea how much my room actually cost but it was extremely small. I had grand visions of a treehouse like mezzanine sleeping level having looked at some pictures but I guess my hosts plumped for the lower end of the room selection.

The communal areas of the hotel are warm and vibey - the bar and lounge are laid out nicely and it's a pleasant place to hang out. It seemed a little "sceney" to me - lots of people on Mac laptops browsing Facebook and Twitter but no so fervently that they didn't have time to check out any new arrivals arriving through the front door.

So yes my room was small - probably a total footprint of 3 double beds including the shower room. I like the hanging lamp shades and ropes for towels etc but it just felt like an extension of a teenagers bedroom. There was no wardrobe, telephone, safe or mini bar. Just too cramped for me. I'd investigate spending a little more on a bigger room if I were to stay there again.

Re security - I'd read the reports of room theft mentioned on here so was wary. My door didn't shut properly without a helping hand, so that could well have been the reason for some intrusions. There were guys on the front door in the evening checking who was coming and going so I think there's no need to worry as long as you check your room door is properly closed and always leave the do not disturb sign outside.

Overall a nice place to stay, just check which size room you are getting if you intend to be swinging cats :)

Room Tip: check room size as the smallest are extremely small
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I spent a weekend in February at The Michelberger Hotel with my three friends. Many of our friends had recommended the hotel as a great place to stay. Initially we were very impressed with the decor, room, bar and cool atmosphere.

However, by the end of our weekend I left shocked and disappointed after one of my friends woke up in our hotel room on her own in the afternoon (while we had gone to see some museums) to find a man in our room while she slept, going through my personal bags. When he saw that she had woke up, he pretended like he had got the wrong room and left quickly. She realised that he had stolen her phone, which was right next to her pillow on charge while she was sleeping. After being called back, we found the staff rather uncooperative. One of the female staff on duty was amazing, but the manager lack tact and compassion.

The police were called and a report was made by all of us and a promise of a follow up was given, we have not received any police report or key card logs, as promised. We spent the next night unable to sleep as our friend was still very shaken. I left the next morning upset and confused as to HOW this could have happened as I made sure twice that the door was locked before we left.

Even more shocking is the follow up post-departure. I believe that the Michelberger lacks basic hotel safety and does not seem to have proper customer service procedures in place for extreme experiences like this. My personal experience of the hotel is that it is unsafe.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
10 Thank keepexploring22
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I stayed here on a recent business trip to Berlin. The rooms are basic with just a bed, sink and bathroom. It's minimal but hip, clean and comfy. For the room rate it seems like good value for money. My room on the "O2 side" of the building had some industrial area next to it and I was woken at 06:45 by a bulldozer scraping it shovel along the ground which wasn't ideal.

The bar area downstairs had a great young atmosphere in the evening and breakfast the next morning was really good.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank webmonkeyuk
Tampere, Finland
Reviewed March 27, 2013

We fancied this hotel totally. We had a room for three, which meant we had a handy mezzanine. Very safe for a child as well: stairs easy to follow. It was like staying in friend's home: interiors tasteful, beautiful little details. Huge tall windows, lots of light. breakfast amazing, premium dark roast coffee with warm milk, salmon wraps, lots of choice, perfect old time music on the background. Personnel very welcoming, professional and still young & free spirited. One really gets a feeling of being on a holiday in this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Violet_blossom
Reviewed March 25, 2013

This hotel is disappointed. The rooms are a kind of IKEA style in worst. They pretend to have a king size, in fact it's juste two mattress together completely uncomfortable. The stairs to go up in your bed are very dangerous. The breakfast is awfull and expensive. The ask your credit card, to book on internet, at the reception, and again at the check out. At the end, you have given your information at three different persons and you are not sure for the safety. The manager is rude and the staff is bored. Avoid this hotel! It's too expensive for what it is !

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank Santiago S
Reviewed March 24, 2013

DO NOT STAY HERE! I can not express how much I would advise against staying in this hotel.
I was unwell so went to sleep in my room while my friends went to a museum in the middle of the day, I was naked in my bed and awoke to a man IN MY ROOM. I asked him what he was doing and he pretended he had the wrong room and walked out, as I had no clothes on I did not jump up until he left the room. Once he had gone I got dressed and noticed my phone (That was next to my pillow on the bed I was asleep on) and some money from the side was gone. I ran out the room but he was nowhere to be seen. Went to tell reception, they did not care at all. One woman who worked there was amazing and actually showed some concern and was very kind but the manager was rude, reluctant to let me use their phone/computer to contact my friends. I got them to call the police and we made a report. Our door was 100% LOCKED. After following it up and going back and forth with some emails asking them to compensate us and give an explaination as to how someone was able to access our room we got a very rude email from the manager basically saying it was our own fault and we must have left the door open. Our door was definitely locked as it was checked when my friends left and I checked it was locked before I went to sleep. Eventually even though my phone and money was stolen and we were left very shaken from the incident, they reimbursed us one nights fee for our stay in the hotel BUT still would not give any explaination as to how this happened and wouldnt answer any of my questions and still have not. I told them it wasnt about the money and we wanted them to check security cameras and the logs of room key usage but they wouldnt respond.

Room Tip: Do NOT stay here!!! Not safe!
Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
21 Thank M_Alki1502
tmichelberger, Inhaber at Michelberger Hotel, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
Dear Guest,

we are very sorry to hear about the theft in your room. A situation like this is extraordinary and requires professional handling. Giving information based on assumptions is not the right way to go. That is why we work closely with the police to support their inquiries to the fullest. The report concludes that your door was not shut properly. This report has been made available to you.

We reimbursed the night's stay and we did share with you all information that were available to us.

The past 2 month most all Berlin hotels struggle with small organized thiefs, that check hotel hallways for left open doors or not properly shut doors. Being a public place it is very hard to control everyone entering the property. We just have installed a camera security system throughout our hotel as well as increasing our security personal, patrolling the hallways and controlling access.

Guest security is highly important to us, as well as keeping an inviting open atmosphere. To achieve this our staff as well as our guests have to follow basic security measures, these include making sure the room doors are shut properly.
Berlin is a big city, with mostly great people, but a few black sheeps. This will not keep us from trying to give the best possible Berlin experience. Every day.

We are a hotel that treats all guests with the fullest respect and care. But if we experience, that guests cross certain borders of character, language and behavior, we protect our family.

We are very sorry about what happened, and we do feel responsible, since it happened in our place. But we believe that even in the best possible circumstances, we might not be the right hotel for you.

Best, Nadine & Tom
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Michelberger Hotel should be way higher up the rankings on Trip Advisor. Fantastic place with fantastic staff, they can't do enough for you and they're real genuine folks too....very friendly and interesting people. The bar and lobby are fabulous hang out spots with free wi-fi everywhere, just ask the staff for log in passwords. One of the most innovative, creative places we have ever stayed in. Re-cycled, up-cycled, designed from scratch, created...these guys are genius. Right down to their own designed labels on the shower gel and bottled water in your room. Their attention to detail is excellent as is their wit and good on them for doing something different. Large rooms, we stayed in the 'gold room' 238 which has to be seen to be believed. Gold wooden four poster bed, gold tiled bathroom; separate loo and shower and a sunken bath in the room. Fake log fire, big TV hidden behind a gold mirror, DVD player with some DVDs in the room for free. Loads of storage space and hanging wardrobe space. A dressing table and stool area which can be closed up in to a cupboard when not in use. There's no mini-bar but there's the best bar in town right downstairs in the hotel...you meet some great people in there. No safe in the room but reception will lock any valuables up for you in the hotel office so it wasn't an issue at all, in fact much easier than having a safe in the room which are usually too small to take a laptop anyway. Hairdryer in the room, loads of power sockets. More towels supplied than in usual hotels. Room cleaned daily. Late check out at 12 noon. Breakfast can be taken in the hotel's own breakfast restaurant area at an extra cost to the room. Sandwiches and cakes available at the bar/lounge area as well as a great range of beers, cocktails, wine etc. My husband has stayed here twice now, once on business and loved it so much that he took me there for a few days last week on holiday. Who couldn't love a hotel that has the movie The Big Lebowski playing on a constant loop (silently) on TVs on each floor level...and who's wi-fi log in password starts with 'Dude'. They just need to set up another one for 'Abides'! Can't recommend this place enough. We want them to make tons of money so they can roll the idea out worldwide and make it a far more interesting place to stay on trips abroad. An excellent place for media folks travelling on business, or on any business to be honest, fantastic for single travellers because it's so friendly and an easy place to get chatting to like minded people in the lounge in the main lobby area or in the bar/cafe. Great for couples of all ages, friends and also for clubbers. Our room was quiet too. Also a really good graffiti tour that picks up from the main lobby area daily around 12 noon. A 5 minute walk from the Berlin wall which is now a gallery. Absolutely loved it and will go back; in fact I bet they get loads of regulars as the overall experience is just so good.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple