“Great Business Hotel in Mitte Berlin”
Review of Hotel AMANO

Hotel AMANO
Ranked #108 of 635 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I recently had business in the Mitte area of Berlin. My client recommended the Amano hotel. It turned out to be PERFECT for me.

The front desk was very courteous and helpful on several occasions, which was helpful for several of my requests. Always nice to have a warm and helpful person on the other side of the desk!

The Hotel is located very close to trams and the subway if needed (I did not) and is in a quiet corner of Rosenthalerstrasse. There were several cafes and eateries along this street as well as places to get quick (and good) coffee/bakery goods. Cabs were easily and quickly ordered when I needed one.

The room was comfortable for one person and ideal for the short-term business/vacation traveler. The shower is in the room with a glass door, so two people might find it uncomfortable (toilet is in a closed separate area). There is a work desk with a tea kettle and outlet, which worked great for me. The bed was a double, comfortable for two if needed (again I was alone). The closet space is limited, and their is an in-room safe (on a higher shelf, but not out-of-the-way).
Amenities were OK... didn't have shampoo, which was strange (I did get a bottle from the front desk, but I didn't inquire further as to why I had to request it). If you needed it, there was a blow dryer in the room. BTW- the shower was sealed in by that glass door so NO humid/steam escaped which is a nice thing.. hate having steam spill over into the rest of the room.

The décor is modern and very "square" style (pillows were square, which didn't bother me a bit). TV was a bit small, but OK.... only English channels were news (BBC, CNN, Bloombergs, and France 24), but that's to be expected, I gather... would have been nice to find one/two English speaking (subtitled?) entertainment stations. Having free WiFi that actually worked well was a great plus.

I was their for work, so I was up early and out all day. It was a comfortable room to return to in order to review and unwind. It was very quiet, which was a help (double glazed windows I believe).

When I arrived I wanted to see a slightly bigger apartment, which was available for a higher cost (I think 20 EUROS more a day... desk can quote that), which was tempting... had a living room area and a kitchenette, which might have been handy (I did bring some of my own food due to dietary issues)... I decided to stick to the budget and declined... but you should know it's available and quiet clean and attractive.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed September 8, 2013

the hotel is in a great location, very close to two subway stations, and walking distance from AlexanderPlatz. Rooms are quite small, but if you are planning having all day outside, It's enough.
Breakfast is very good. around the hotel you can find restaurants, fashion shops and young artists galleries.

Room Tip: in our room the shower was part of the room and its door was transparent so if it bothers you take i...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Give this place a miss - the prices are low.... for a reason!

The rooms are small - the toiletries are naff - just stuff you squeeze out from a thing on the wall. The air-con wasn't good - it was soooo hot the night I stayed there - I complained but to no avail - nothing changed!!! Needless to say I didn't sleep well!! Premier Inn would have refunded me my night's tariff!

The breakfast room is small - not a great variety of foods - the location is not ideal - too far away from the life of Berlin.

Here's my beef - they have tea making facilities and a Nespresso machine in each room - but guess what... you have to pay for tea bags and Nespresso pods!! No milk or sugar in the rooms.

So I complained and but they didn't give me any coffee pods - but they did give me a throw away camera!! - the film variety!! But I just left it in the room - too disgusted to make another plea!!

We had a conference there - I was one of the organisers - you'd think they would have brought me some Nespresso pods... no way!! Cheap scapes!! NEVER will I go back there again.

The conference facilities are terrible too - we needed the whole room - big pillar in the middle - seats were uncomfortable - sound system was just crap - excuse my french but it was. It was in another building - small lift for nearly 100 delegates. Just not well thought through.

In a hotel like this it is the little things that staff can fix that make the difference - but your just a number. Not impressed with this hotel - stay away!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Tom R
amanoberlin, Manager at Hotel AMANO, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Dear Tom R,
thank you for your feedback. I regret it much that you were not content with our service. We always try our best, so that our guests and even more content - especially if you tell us that you are not. AMANO is a 3 star hotel - and we try to offer more than a "normal" 3 star hotel and we want to offer a high quality of service for each guest. Unfortunately we do not have a mini bar in the room but everything you can find in our vending machines at the ground floor. My staff gave you the Nespresso then also free of charge...You also did not like our breakfast buffet and the conference floor - this is a shame but the tastes are different! In addition: AMANO has three lifts not only one - you probably have overlooked this.
Maybe we have a chance to show you how wonderful is AMANO, the next time that you are in berlin.
Kind regards from AMANO,
Corinna Schuster

Reviewed September 5, 2013

On first arrival I was thoroughly impressed. Nadine at reception was very helpful, and when we got to our room we found the iron and ironing board we had requested. The room was clean and looked exactly like the picture of a standard room. The next morning I noticed that the exterior windows really are sound-proof as I could see some construction work happening outside but the room was silent. The only noise we heard was from guests/cleaners moving furniture.

Problems with the room: shower cubicle is IN the room so only share a room with someone you're happy to see naked. The safety deposit box had to be reached by standing on a chair. And my bedside table was broken (which I'm sure they would have fixed if I had remembered to tell them about it). We weren't fans of the pillows either and after four nights I had a sore neck.

Breakfast was satisfactory but not worth £15. I definitely would not pay for it on a Sunday where they simply don't have enough room for everyone. The breakfast staff could have been more helpful too. (For instance I asked for a pot of coffee as the machine stuff is bad, but the lady at the podium just said it wasn't possible.)

But overall it is a beautiful hotel in a decent location (five minutes from a U8 station, and not far from Alexanderplatz which has many network connections). The main museums are walkable from the hotel and the bar downstairs was expensive but nice for an aperitif.

I would highly recommend this to friends, but unless breakfast is included I probably wouldn't bother with it. There is so much great food in Berlin it seems a shame to fill yourself up in the hotel.

Room Tip: Our standard room, 432, received no noise from the bars. It was in a different section from other ro...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Warm, friendly, very comfortable, easy transport links. Staff are helpful. Bar is great (elderflower liquer). Breakfast is good. Bike hire and ipod hire for a guided tour of the city is a great idea . This is rated a 3* but I would give it more would definitely recommend

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We spent 3 days at the Hotel Amano. It is neat and clean. Through my error, my suitcase was taken from the lobby--we assumed stolen. Customer service is NOT their middle name. They offered no help whatsoever in attempting to recover the bag. The area surrounding the hotel is a bit rough, but the hotel itself is very nice with a VERY good, but $$$, breakfast buffet.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We loved our large room with its view over the little park (actually an old cemetery). Big clean modern room, big shower, big bed. It is in the old East Berlin Mitte area and close to many tourist attractions and public transport including trams and train. Some good places to eat nearby, both inexpensive and expensive. The hotel has a good service culture - nothing was any trouble and people were keen to assist. Breakfast was the usual - not exceptional but good. The bar on the roof is well worth a visit but can get very crowded.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple