“our holiday low point”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mitte
Description: The Brechts Steakhaus is located right of the theater district, close to the Berliner Ensemble and Friedrichstraße station. Those who visit the Brecht's steakhouse can look forward to a wonderful evening, in a modern and stylish environment as Brecht is one of the best steakhouse restaurants in Berlin. OUR PHILOSOPHY We love a good piece of meat. We highly work with meat quality, noticeable, visible and above all – tasty! The Brechts gourmet meat stands for the ultimate pleasure for gourmans and meat lovers. From the very beginning our premise was a very high quality of meat. Brecht's steakhouse serves the finest and the most flavorful steaks. Our meat comes from all around the world with proven quality, the strictest guidelines for cattle breeding in Australia (Jack's Creek Wagyu), Nebraska / USA and Ireland (Dry Aged Beef). The beef, especially steak, has rightly a world-class reputation. The Weideochsen (breeds Aberdeen Angus, Hereford, Shorthorn and crosses) grow under optimal climatic conditions, live on almost unlimited pastures with clean water and have rich variety of juicy grass and herbs. The preparation takes place on our high equipted kitchen where the meat gets a delicate crust and fine roasted aromas, while inside is still juicy and fresh.
Reviewed January 4, 2014

we were recommended this restaurant by our Hotel ,and upon arrival we were impressed with the location and the décor ,both of which were attractive. However what followed was inexcusable . Having sat at our window table as instructed we were then rudely informed it wasn't ours and were moved to another table . We then waited 15 minutes before we had to ask for a drink . At this stage we had received the menus but had not been offered any water , which we then requested another ten minutes later. After studying the menus for 5 minutes we had to request that one of the three staff engaged in conversation with each other came and took our order. Having placed our order we waited and waited and after 65 minutes from our arrival we eventually received our starters . The food was also disappointing and rather bland . In total we spent two hours in the restaurant over our two courses (we weren't going to stay for dessert) and close on 140 euro's including a bottle of wine and a pre dinner drink each. We found the staff exceptionally lazy and generally inattentive . In our opinion this is not a Berlin dining experience to be recommended.

1  Thank steve b
There are newer reviews for Brechts Steakhaus

Reviewed December 9, 2013

After passing up the Irish Bar we stumbled across this lovely restaurant. We were lucky to get a table without a booking but we did. As seems to be the way in Berlin the table was extremely close to the others but we were getting used to that.

The waiters were very helpful and seemed to enjoy explaining the food and menu. I went for Veal overload and loved it. All in goof time and beautifully cooked.

Just as we finished the main course the waitress asked if we would mind moving as she had a party of 15 and needed the space. Initial reaction was 'what' but when she said desert would be free we went for it happily. Then desert, a 3 by 3 plate of cold deserts for my partner and a cheese board for me. Wow, these were both so good.

The pianist was also very good.

Reviewed November 28, 2013

I was taken here on my first night in Berlin by my Austrian friend, who loves the city and loves this Austrian-German restaurant. We didn't wait long, as we had booked, and we admired both the fantastic location, right by the River Spree and adjoining the the Bertold-Brecht-Place, and the tasteful decor of the interior, with paintings and photographs on the walls and polished, wooden floor boards throughout. I chose traditionally, the Weiner Schnitzel, which was good. What was better for me, however, was the feeling of history I felt as I ate my meal, both of the great playwright and of Berlin. A good restaurant in a fantastic location!

Reviewed October 25, 2013

The general manager of the Melia recommended this restaurant and I thanked him afterwards for his recommendation.

We were lucky to receive a table without having to wait, five minutes later the restaurant was full.

You can choose between Menus (3 or 5 course) or A la Carte but I recommend going for one of the menus (costs about as much as 2 dishes à la Carte). The bread they serve along with the food is absolutely delicious.

There is a choice of wines with a strong emphasis on Austrian and German Wines.

We were very well served which is why I cannot understand the other reviews saying that the service was lacking. Even asking for some lemon for the fish immediately got us some Limes in netting so that no pips fell on the food. The fish was nicely spiced and well presented. Both my colleagues and I decided that we will return.

Should anyone be in Berlin November 11th-13th, there is a five course goose menu.

There is a piano player there in the evenings and her performance adds positively to the atmosphere.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

This was a recomendation from our receptionist at the Melia, it was her favourite and I can see why. We went without a reservation on saturday night and luckily they had one table for two avilable, having just been vacated by the prevoius diners. The restaurant is stylish and comfortable and had a live pianist playing the right style of music at just the correct volumn. despite having little German to speak of the service was smooth and pleasant and the food and wine very good. A top spot for a romantic dinner or meal with friends, highly recommended.