“Great place”

Brilliant Apartments
Ranked #11 of 358 Specialty Lodging in Berlin
Reviewed October 5, 2012

The apartment (Diamant 22) can was excellent, one bedroom and enough space for a double bed in the living room without it getting crowded, we were a family of two adults and three children. Oderberger Strasse is close to public transport to the rest of Berlin and the surrounding area of Prenzlauer Berg has a lot to offer in restaurants, shops etc

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed October 2, 2012

We had a lovely weekend with 5 friends in Berlin. This neighborhood is great. I think the best spot to discover Berlin. We were lucky with the weather, biked and have enjoyed the terraces for breakfast. The staff, the food and the breakfast of Cafe Krone is wonderful and well priced.
Apartments are fresh and lovely decorated. all what you would expect. The beds are good quality. Free wifi. and the staff is very friendly.
I would love to see the other apartments as well. Will come back and book brilliant apartments again! Would recommend this to my friends and family. Prenzlauerberg is the best place we think after this weekend, we can say that.

Room Tip: There is no elevator, so we were at the 4th floor so keep that in mind:)
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Hi,

to make it short, very nice people, stylish appartment, excellent value, great cafes and bars around the corner, kids friendly, on Sundays cool flea-market around the corner....subway station easy to walk.....much more style than all these hotel chains!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We had a wonderfu time in the Berstein Unit at the Brilliant Apartments. It is a great location. Wonderful neighborhood. Lots of great places to eat and a market close by. It is just a quick Sbahn ride to get to the city center. The Krone cafe was wonderful. Everyone was extremely helpful. When we return to Berlin, we will stay at the Brilliant Apartments!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I just moved to Berlin and Brilliant Apartments was a perfect place to stay and to get a soft landing in Germany. I stayed about a month and with the very friendly owners and great help it felt like home. The apartment I stayed in was a 1 bedroom'er with a fully equiped kitchenette and with access to a washmachine in the building. The location is excellent with lots of restaurants and cafes around as well as supermarkets for shopping close by.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Rune H
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Upon planning a second trip to Berlin, we decided to stay at Brilliant Apartments because we wanted to have a neighborhood experience this time. Last visit, we stayed in a big hotel. Brilliant Apartments was the perfect choice, and we highly recommend it. We stayed in a fourth floor one bedroom that overlooked the garden. The apartment was comfortably appointed and clean. The neighborhood and street did provide the perfect neighborhood experience. The street is lined with cafes, restaurants, small businesses, and a playground (if you have small ones) where you overlap with local people. There are two grocery stores nearby and public transportation is close by. The owners and staff at cafe Krone are gracious and very helpful. They go out of there way to accommodate you. We found the paper hanging on bulletin board in the room titled "Hot spots, nice places to be" was very helpful and took guess work out of our vacation time. From it, we knew where to get bikes, groceries, tours, and recommended restaurants!

Room Tip: We are not so it was not a detracting point for us, but if bothered by climbing stairs, choose a roo...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I just returned from a three-week stay in Berlin. Pure luck landed me in one of the Brilliant Apartments in Prenzlauer Berg (a studio on Rykestrasse). I absolutely loved the area, the apartment and the Brilliant Apartments staff.

Prenzlauer Berg is a neighborhood as if it had awaken from a long deep sleep through the war and and the DDR. After the wall came down this tree-lined gem was brought back to life and the neighborhood streets are lined with cozy restaurants and boutique shops. (Which leads some to seethe at what they believe to be yuppie gentrification).

The three weeks were special for me because I felt for just a brief period of time to be a member of this great neighborhood. While I do not have children, the neighborhood is filled with them and parks are available where they play. (My studio apartment would have been too small for anything other than two adults).

My apartment was a short walk from the U-Bahn (subway/tube) and in three stops I could find myself in Alexander Platz.

Even for a brief visit to Berlin these apartments would be a great improvement over a hotel. Many of the hotels are in areas that are great for business or the government but have a more sterile feeling that makes you feel as though you could be in any large city.

Finally, Simon with Brilliant Apartments was a great guy. He helped me as things would come up (for example, locating a guide who could get me through the city but also help me with my German conversation).

Two cautions: first, arriving off hours or on the weekend can be complicated and I would recommend sorting through the details in advance. Second (and this is true of all of Berlin) despite the fact that the Wall fell more than twenty years ago, Berlin is still undergoing major transformations. Road work/sidewalk work is common.

Finally (and I wish someone had told me this before I left for Germany because I waited to do so until week two) rent a bike! It is a great way to see the city. I liked the guys at Berlin on Bike (near the apartment). They had great small group bike tours throughout the city (my favorite was a six hour bike ride through East Germany focusing on day-to-day life in the DDR. The downside is that they offer limited English tours (they put up with my bad German as I went on the German-language tours).

About bikes in Berlin, they are everywhere (at least when the weather is good). Be Careful! When walking through the streets don't stop or stand in the bike path (which is usually a different color from the sidewalk but easy to miss). The people on bikes are total NAZI's about this (I probably shouldn't use this phrase in a review concerning Berlin).

What was interesting to me is that in California the bikers are the same way (becoming morally indignant about anyone or thing who does not think the world revolves around their open path to blast through crowded streets. [Full Disclosure: I too fell victim to this mindset once I switched from pedestrian to bike rider.]

I am rambling because this turned out to be a special trip in a special place at a special time in the lifetime of Berlin. I passionately recommend these apartments.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo