“wonderful”

Ranked #4 of 8,713 Restaurants in Berlin
Cuisines: German
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Bieberbau at Durlacher Str. 15 in Berlin-Wilmersdorf is part of a former studio and dwelling house. Built 1893/94 by Wilhelm Walther for the sculptuor Richard Bieber, it was nearly completely destroyed by a firebomb during World War II. Only the rooms and decoration of what is now the restaurant survived. The stucco ornamentation you can admire here have been created by the most advanced students and trainedcraftsmen of the principal and owner. He maintained a plasterer's and sculptuor's studio. The decorations depict different motives from mythology and rural life. They show advanced technical skills. The premises in their organic design provide an insight into the stuccateurs' craftmenship unique for Berlin around the turn of the twentieth century. They offer a unique spatial experience the qualitiy and complexitiy of which were out of the ordinary. In the backyard of the house there were several studios, amongst others those of the expressionist work group ,,Die Brücke" (,,The Bridge"). Between 1910 and 1913 Max Pechstein and Ernst Ludwig Kirchner worked here.
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Thank you tripaddvisor for this restaurant much better than at my hotel. it is very the good best food i took in berlin, and wine and beer delicious, probably real german berlin beer. we had to reserrve but on the same day it was ok

3  Thank Mehdi A

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We had reserved a table at Bieberbau to celebrate a special occasion and I have to say that the restaurant made the occasion even more special. The food was just awesome and very inventive with things like olive ice-cream for pre-dessert. We had the five course menu and ended up eating nine courses with all the little extras they served. Although the food was on this very high fine dining level, the staff was friendly and we felt comfortable.

I recommend Bieberbau with all my heart. Our dinner there was one of the best meals I've ever eaten.

3  Thank annahuu
Reviewed March 15, 2013

A great little restaurant in Berlin. Good value and great flavours with spot on wine matching make this place a little gem. The service was attentive and the flawless English of the host makes this a good choice for those with little or rusty German. I would happily eat here over and over again.

3  Thank Jeff B
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Located in a somewhat strange (suburbia) neighborhood a bit outside of centrum Berlin (25 min by subway from Unter den Linden and then a 7 min walk). Try to combine dining here with visiting the nice park.

The menu consists of two five course menus from which you can get a 3 or 4 course subset if you are less hungry. I was hungry so I had the 5 course menu with wine, bubbles and coffee. The food was absolutely delightful. Style is modern german inspired food from a chef that obviously is aware of contemporary trends in the trade and uses then where appropriate. The bread was homemade and of good quality. And al the dishes had a near wow effect to them. I dare to say that the experience was all in all better than some of the 1 michelin star restaurants I have eaten at around the world and is comparable with similar price places in my hometown (reference is a usual Belgium/Brussels).

A small hint to the place from my side is that it might be nice to offer an menu with selected wines. although there were enough 1 glass options to choose from.

Oh yes, the price for all this: 5 course menu + aperitif + wine with each course + desert wine + coffee (with nice homemade biscuits) = 105 euro (a total bargain)

4  Thank Stigin
Reviewed April 19, 2012

Recently went to Bieberbau with our two sons at the recommendation of our hotel (we asked for good, modern German food, in an authentic spot). Although a bit out of the way, Bieberbau is definitely worth the trip. The restaurant is run by a husband and wife team and the menu is a very creative, modern take on German cuisine. There are 3-, 4- and 5- course menus -- all extremely reasonably priced given the quality. We opted for the 3 course and, taking into account the amuse-bouches, suprise offerings and cookies from the kitchen, was more than enough for us. An excellent, German/Austria focused wine list. The restaurant is in a stucco showroom from circa 1900, which is worth the visit alone.

4  Thank FrusaChicago