“Shame I can't eat that well in my homecity when it comes to Italian food!”

Ristorante Peperoncino
Ranked #22 of 9,046 Restaurants in Berlin
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Kreuzberg
Description: 2009 erfüllte ich mir in Berlin mit Peperoncino meinen großen Traum. Gemeinsam mit meiner Frau Ewelina verwöhne ich nun jeden Tag aufs Neue die Gaumen meiner Gäste mit allem, was die mediterrane Küche zu bieten hat: Hausgemachte Pasta, frischer Fisch, Wurst, Fleisch, Antipasti und saisonales Gemüse kommen bei uns auf den Tisch. So wie ich es von meiner mamma gelernt habe. Die Familie, der Fußball und auch das Essen sind uns Italienern heilig. Denn Essen ist ein Genuss, es geht nicht einfach nur darum, satt zu werden. Eine gelungene Mahlzeit braucht Zeit, gute Gesellschaft und Frische. All das finden Sie in der Trattoria Peperoncino. Lassen Sie sich von mir und meiner Frau in den Süden Italiens entführen und von unseren hausgemachten Köstlichkeiten verführen.
Reviewed August 17, 2014

The Peperoncino is located off the tourist tracks and I am very happy about it as we managed to get the table without the reservation on a Saturday evening but only because we arrived just when it opened :) The inside of the venue is nothing special, the typical small restaurant/bistro, italian style but it is not all about that. It is all about the food. The food is fantastic. They have the traditional menu (very accurate) plus the day's menu displayed on the billboard. I went for the tomato cream/soup with ricotta and parmesan from the billboard which was exceptional.It was made from the start, I imagine as I ordered it and if I would stay in the main hall I would surely had the possibility to watch it.. The fresh rucola leaves made it top. The carpaccio di manzo was perfect, the meat, the rucola and the parmesan was first class. The main was the spaghetti with prawns, also from the billboard. I was asked if I am aware that it will be hot and it was :) It was same hot as delicious. The prawns were perfectly cooked (and grilled/baked ?). The whole dish made me feel tremendous but fortunately the comapnion did not ate the whole of its different dish portion so I could try it to kill the hot taste :) Lets call it the desert :)
The service was very good, the family like as the whole venue.
I wish I could stay one night longer in Berlin so I could come back once again as soon as possible. Highly recommended.

2  Thank Traveller_WAW

Reviewed August 12, 2014

First about the food: My partner and I ordered the surprise menu for 30€ per person. Great idea with the surprise menu!
We started off with a tomatosauce with chunks of aubergine on a plate. It was decent, though I would have added some acidic/sour taste to it to freshen it up, as the taste was very dominated by the sweet tomatosauce. Our second course was a salad with buffalo mozarella, some type of salami (I am unsure which sausage it was), parmesan cheese and rucola. The salad was very good, the only criticism one could have was that there was perhaps a bit too much rucola, however, that's a matter of taste.
Third and fourth were Gnocchi and Ravioli. I honestly can't say what was in them, as the sauce (identical sauce for both) with heavy amounts of parmesan was so overpowering in taste, that I couldn't taste it. The parmesan was good, but it was almost like eating liquid parmesan, which was a bit too much.
5th course were prawns, I skipped this, as I can't eat them, but my partner said they were good.
6th was a steak with rosemary and garlic. It had no sides or sauce of any kind (which could be ok for very good meat), however, it was unfortunately a pretty dry experience.
The final course was a dessert of Profiteroles (which I guess technically aren't really italian) - this was really good!
So overall the food was fairly unimpressive.

However, the staff were amazingly friendly and wonderful people. They were very kind and helpful, and happy to talk with us.

Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

We were there for dinner. The place is lovely and romantic. The steak was one of the best I have had for a long time. The pasta was fresh, perfectly made. Felt like real Italian chef is running this place. The owners were charming. Worth every euro!

1  Thank YarivBarel
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Very friendly and personal service, great food although no Pizza, mindblowingly good beetroot Gnocchi, cheap and honest italian food, kids loved their fresh Pasta, you notice the chef loves cooking. Mille grazie, arrividerci.

2  Thank IrelandMerlin
Reviewed July 22, 2014

I was very happy with our visit to Peperoncino. This is classic italian with a slight touch of germany. The place is homey and the service is personal. A restaurant with a genuine welcoming feel.

We had the surprise menu, which I would recommend. You decide what price-range you want and the chef puts together a menu. We went for 35€ which resulted in us being very (over the top) full before our main course.

We had 3 different starters followed by 1 pasta and 2 variants of gnocchi. Our main course was pork medallions. Unfortunately we didn't have room for cheese or dessert.

I would recommend scaling it down a bit. We are not the kind of people who says no to cheese or dessert, but the amount of food for 35€ were too much for us. Go for around 20-30€ instead.

We will definitely return on our next visit, although for a slightly smaller menu.

2  Thank CasperH