“Mediocre Sunday Brunch” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Casalot Restaurant

Casalot Restaurant
Ranked #948 of 8,231 Restaurants in Berlin
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Mitte
London, United Kingdom
“Mediocre Sunday Brunch”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

We were looking forward to this 10 Euro open brunch offer after hearing good reviews. Sadly, we were disappointed by the absence of standard Levantine dishes such as tabbouleh, hommos, stuffed vine leaves, fattoush, etc.
Moreover, the plates were often empty and not refilled quickly, the dessert was well below par.

The service was ok, but in general, we were not impressed.

Please note that currently, they do not accept cards!

• Visited June 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Kerava, Finland
“Good food, very food service, low prices!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2011

Great place to have a spesial moment, fantastic tasty food and prices are ok too.

• Visited December 2011
Logan,UT
“Very tasty!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2011

This restaurant is one of the best ME restaurants we've ever visited (and that includes lots of restaurants IN the ME). Also a serviceable wine list. Service is great, decor attractive and low key, quiet ambiance. Only drawback is they don't take credit cards.

Visited February 2011
Neukirchen, Germany
“"To write home about", as they say”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2010

I cannot totally second the oppinion of my german TripAdvisor fellow who posted before me. The circumstances were also different, so I'll leave the benefit of doubt, but we left with really good impressions.

We reserved one week in advance a table for two for the Sunday brunch (10 EUR). When we arrived, we were placed at the only table "for two", close to the window. It was, however, an unfortunate position, as we had to squeeze between a pillar and another patron at a larger table. We asked about a different seating (it's brunch, so buffet-style and it would have became irritating for everybody) and we were offered, after a bit of checking in the booking register (which was, indeed, full), a different table, for 4, way better positioned.

The restaurant is rather modern, but, due to the apparent stone finishing, it is not contrasting too much with the large arabesque behind the bar, nor with the superb pendant light of arabic influence at the entrance.

Maybe there are more varied brunches (this one has emphasis on mezze --cold apetizers--). There were however plenty of choices and also 4 food heaters with various cooked meals. Plus plenty of sweets and fruits. I am a rather voracious meat-eater but I felt like bursting from stuffing myself with so many vegetarian dishes. Our favourites were the stuffed baby aubergines (about the size of a strawberry), tabbouleh (based on parsley, onion and tomatos finely chopped) and a mildly hot tomato paste.

The final coffee was also extremely good (even if, to my taste, they were overly zealous with the cardamom). I specifically ordered arabic coffee, so I got what expected. It happened to me in a lebanese restaurant in Munich to order "coffee" and I got the italian expresso, much like the review before me. It's probably because some other patrons (german or not) ordered coffee, got the arabic version and were expecting the expresso :)

The staff was quick and did not talk much unsolicited. But once asked one or two questions, they suddenly melted became friendly and talkative. This way, for example, we found out that the restaurant bears the (latin, almost forgotten) name of the village the owner stems from.

• 4 of 5 bubbles