“Quality of food :(”

Zum Schusterjungen
Ranked #177 of 8,382 Restaurants in Berlin
Cuisines: German, European, Central European
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Drinks, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Prenzlauer Berg
Samara, Russia
“Quality of food :(”
Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

The place is very popular by locals and tourists. Many tables were reserved.

But I wasn't impressed of the quality of food at all!
The service was ok.

• Korean first
Cancun, Mexico
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Restaurant in Berlin”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This Restaurant exists for almost 100 years. The food is all homemade. You can taste it. I had the Roulade with Potato Dumplings and red cabbage and my friend had The schnizel. It was AWSOME. The service was very friendly "German Humor". It is a must to go and if you are in Germany. Authentic and Excellent. I will come back on Wednesday again.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank andrew166
Lighthouse Point, Florida
“Classic Good German food and atmosphere”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Our travel group wanted classic German food & didn't want to spend too much money. We found this restaurant that satisfied everyone. Classic food, plenty of it, and reasonable cost.

• Visited July 2012
Melbourne, Australia
“Great traditional German food at a decent price”
Reviewed May 17, 2012

My partner and I were recommended to try Schusterjungen for proper German food close to where we were staying.

Arriving around 9pm on a Wednesday evening, we didn't have to wait for a table but despite me asking for both a German and an English menu, somehow we ended up with a German and an Italian one.... ?

Either way, I had studied German for years so was able to decipher much of what it said and when I saw hausgemacht rindsroulade as one of their specials of the evening I couldn't resist! My partner chose the bratwurst mit sauerkraut und kartoffeln.

Before dinner we had a couple of drinks - a cube libre (which my partner was impressed with - Havana Club with coke and slice of lemon) whilst I had a stein of Berliner Pilsner. The food didn't take too long to come either, so that was good. My rindsroulade was lovely and the gravy just devine, perfect with the glutenous potato dumplings (klösse) accompanying it but my partner wasn't enamoured with his bratwurst (nor his sauerkraut, but I'd expected that).

It took a while for them to bring the bill after asking but when we received it the total was only 24 Euro - so cheap!!

You may not know a lot about German food but it's worth giving a go and with the atmosphere of this place (and value) - why not?

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank spbeef
Corinth, Greece
“German cuisine for good value!”
Reviewed March 29, 2012

My partner and I went for dinner to Schusterjungen restaurant since it was recommended by our guidebook. The food was ok to very good. We had a plate of sausages as a starter and I had a pork schnitzel and my partner a knuckle (pork I think). My schnitzel was very well cooked and the portion was very big. I really enjoyed it. My partner did not enjoy the knuckle at all. It had a very pinky colour that didn't really appeal to you! Other than that, the food was not expensive and the service was good and the menu was available in many languages. If you are craving for a good schnitzel, I would recommend it. Not for the knuckle though. I can't say anything about the rest of the dishes on offer. A tip: it's better to make a reservation or turn up early.

• Visited March 2012