“Local atmosphere, average food”
Review of Zum Schusterjungen

Zum Schusterjungen
Ranked #147 of 8,440 Restaurants in Berlin
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Prenzlauer Berg
Portugal
“Local atmosphere, average food”
Reviewed March 13, 2012

Great location in area with a lot of nightlife, very good atmosphere, good beer, friendly staff. Average food, don't go for the Schnitzel, the best are the daily or monthly offers.

Visited March 2012
1 Thank Abetarda

• Korean first
Barcelona, Spain
“Disappointing, in our case meal average and service unfriendly”
Reviewed January 19, 2012

Went to this restaurant based on a lonely plant review and were clearly disappointed.

The restaurant has a certain "charme" to it but both food and service disappointed us.

We ordered two meals (Gruenkohl and Kassler), the Gruenkohl was in my opinion burnt (or reheated for too long) and the Kassler meat was dry. I'm German, so I guess I can tell some degree at least. We didn't complain though so I can't tell whether this was all by mistake / an exception or whether they actually think the food should be like this....admittedley we came in for a late dinner (for Germans at least, at around 22) but if they still serve food, it should be good quality in my opinion.

Concerning the service, I felt they were quite unfriendly and not very service oriented. Waiting at the bar for a table I had to call the waiter to take our drink orders....and that even though the bar is not very large. We then asked whether they had put us on the waitlist and got shouted at for it.....as they had OBVIOUSLY done so.... The meals were served without issues but speaking / being German myself (without them knowing as I spoke Spanish with my fellow guests) I overheard some discussions amongst the staff that really made me think they do not treat their clients with sufficient respect.

Summary: much preferred Schwarzwaldstuben - in all aspects - for typical German food at a good value price.

• Visited January 2012
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Authentic German food with authentic Berlin attitude”
Reviewed January 5, 2012

So maybe we were foolish not to book - but it was Monday evening... we came to the small bar/pub/restaurant at 8pm and the queue was almost out the door. Our friends were inside and had asked to be put on the waiting list - it was a 30 minute wait for a table. (there really are not many tables!) We could observe the food - big plates of hearty fare, served with local beers (and international). It is listed in the Lonely Planet and so most of the customers were tourists - they have an English menu. We eventually got a corner of a shared table in the pub area (there is another room out the back). There was only one waitress and 2 bar staff, at first glance it seemed chaotic but it was highly organised. The waitress was very sharp tongued and had a very traditional attitude, but that's part of the charm (don't ask for ketchup!).
The food came quickly, was very satisfying and very plentiful. The desserts were very limited and they had run out of the streudel - however the main course was so filling it wasn't really required.
Despite it being busy we were not rushed to finish our food and we were able to enjoy ourselves.

• Visited January 2012