“Wow.”

Ranked #11 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Haifa, Israel
“Wow.”
Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

Our friends recommended the Circus to us. yet, despite of our high expectations we still had a good surprise. We reserved the suit which was very reasonably priced. The room was spacious and very nicely decorated. The bed was very comfortable and as we asked for the inner rooms we never heard any noise from the nearby street.

The concierge service was the best!! All of them were very helpful and the restaurants they recommended were all a success.
Location was very comfortable, with tram, metro bus and train service were all just near the hotel.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (499)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 30, 2014

We spent four nights at the Circus Hotel from 5th to 9th January 2014. We had booked two rooms – a standard twin for our son and nephew and a junior suite with double bed for my husband and myself. There was very little difference in the size of the rooms, both were larger than what we expected for Europe, but fairly basic décor wise.

While we loved staying at the Circus, and found it a very good location, I am surprised that this is the no. 1 hotel on Tripadvisor. There was a single staff member on reception at any one time and the quality of assistance depended very much upon who was on duty. While most of the staff were very helpful, some extremely helpful, a few of them seemed to use their work hours chatting to friends and asking a question felt like an intrusion. As there was only ever one person on duty, there would often be a wait if other people had questions or accounts to settle.

The beds were very comfortable and the windows were able to be opened – which was great as the rooms were very hot, as are all hotels in Europe it seems. While we could turn the heating down, it didn’t seem possible to turn it off totally. The shower was excellent, as was the supplied hairdryer. My husband was very unhappy with the towels, he felt that they were far too small and thin to do their job.

As previously mentioned, toiletries needed to be collected from reception, but that wasn’t a problem. The toiletries we used were of good quality. Tea making facilities were included but no coffee! We got a plunger from reception and some fairly good quality coffee. Milk had to be sourced from the restaurant and unfortunately there was no fridge to keep it cool. They suggested putting it on our window ledge overnight, which worked well. Obviously in summer though, there would be no way of keeping milk cool. We often purchased good quality espresso from the restaurant and took it up to our room. Over our four nights, our plunger was cleaned only once by the room staff, the other times it was simply left dirty for us to clean. This seemed very odd, as the other cleaning was quite good.

We dined in Fabisch, the hotel restaurant for dinner on our first night and for breakfast each morning. Dinner was quite good, but a fairly limited menu, with vegetables non-existent. Again though, this seemed the norm all through our winter trip to Europe. Salad aplenty, but who wants salad with a hearty meal on a cold night?

The famed buffet breakfast was quite good, but not really any better than any continental buffet at the other hotels we stayed at, and I thought it was fairly expensive at Euro 9 each. You are also able to order scrambled eggs for an extra Euro 2.50, which made it a far more substantial breakfast than just the continental version.

Overall it was a fairly good hotel, but I have certainly stayed in better. It is not particularly expensive so it seems you get what you pay for. I would probably try something else if we ever visit Berlin again.

Room Tip: I would think rooms on the street side would be extremely noisy, particularly with window open, whic...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
london
Reviewed January 30, 2014

I was slightly suspicious after all the tripadvisor hype about this place- always reeks a bit. Turns out this is a great place to stay in when in Berlin for a few days. good location between the landmarks and the more off-piste Prenzlauer Berg area which has great bars/ restaurants & galleries.
brilliant beds, best night sleep in a long time. Excellent breakfast and a cosy bar to hang out for a night cap. Live music even!
spotlessly clean & well looked after. Saw the room service taking the beds apart in the morning to hover underneath the slats!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank travellingvictor
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 28, 2014

The Circus Hotel was absolutely brilliant, perfectly situated in the heart of creative Berlin. The style and atmosphere of the hotel reflected this. The room was fairly compact, but it's space was maximised and decorated to be uber stylish and cool. We had a very peaceful room at the rear of the hotel, it was the perfect retreat after a long day of exploring. The hotel is surrounded by all transport links, u-bahn, trams, buses, making it easy to reach your chosen destination. More importantly, it's within walking distance of some of Berlin's best sights, attractions, shopping strips, bars and restaurants. The staff were friendly and welcoming. I can not wait to stay here again in the summer.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
UK
Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

Great hotel, seems like the hoxton but better value, clean, good location, food is really good. All round pretty nice place! Room 402 was the room that me and my Fräulein made our magic in ;-)

What room will your fuehrer be tied up in? Also the cake!! Eat lots of their cake! It's amazing.

Much love

• Stayed January 2014
Vancouver
Reviewed January 26, 2014

I chose The Circus in Berlin after reading all the wonderful reviews and because it was very affordable. I wasn't disappointed. Although the single room was small, I had everything I needed and the bed was very comfortable. The washroom was modern and updated. Swipe cards allowed access to the elevator and your room - very safe! I couldn't help but think this hotel epitomizes German efficiency and practicality. I loved it! The attached restaurant/bar was very convenient and I found myself sipping a glass of red wine and listening to a live jazz band on the night I arrived. Perfect! The location was just right for me, in the Mitte district, right on a U line and an easy walk to most attractions. I highly recommend this hotel for the discerning traveller and hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Sanspen
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Stayed one night in Junior Suite, which was on the back side (no street noise) and the end of a corridor (virtually no hallway noise).

Modern, spacious room, very comfortable. The bed was probably one of the best I have ever slept on. Nice bathroom too, luxury feel although none of the rooms have baths (but the shower is very good).

Problem with one of the keycards was resolved easily by reception

I felt that the extra price for the "junior suite" was probably not really worth it. If you want a bit more space and a larger bed, the "double room" is probably enough. I can imagine the "economy rooms" are really small, but will do if you only need a decent place to sleep.

Free wifi worked very well - this should be free in all hotels instead of the regular ripoff policy.

Although you can request ground coffee and milk for free downstairs, I think having this in the room is an absolute basic service.

Spotlessly clean.

Location is good, and perfect connection to U-bahn entrance 10 meters from the door.

Small reception - I can imagine this can be a bit hectic at peak times.

Overall very recommendable.