“Probably everything has already been said about this hotel - but....”
Review of The Circus Hotel

The Circus Hotel
Ranked #12 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Dublin, Ireland
“Probably everything has already been said about this hotel - but....”
Reviewed April 22, 2011

We are not the kind of people who look for luxury. Rather we look for quality represented in good service atmosphere and the special touches. Thats what you will find at the Circus Hotel. Despite the modern and sometimes unusual design, This hotel has a lovely warm and friendly atmosphere, Staff are extremely helpful and they try and think of everything that a traveller might want. Need the use of a laptop, they'll bring one to your room, need a reservation,,, they'll do it. Nothing is too much trouble.
Attached to the lobby is a nice cafe/restaurant that doubles at breakfast, they also have a corner with a library and the use of ipods with head sets. I think there is room service at no extra charge
In their brochure they mention their environmental/social awareness. Also impressed by their tribute to the family who owned the building but had been murdered in second world war. Here's the quirky part, as the hotel tries to be environmentally aware so take bottles of shampoo and shower gel as you need it from a shelf near reception.

Each bedroom is individually designed. Our room was not that big and our room was on first floor facing a busy junction. We heard the traffic outside but not bad enough to disturb our sleep. Next time, I would ask for inner room or perhaps higher up. Only criticism was lack of cupboard space. Large shower - great!!
Walking distance to Museum Island, underground station close by.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RuthEleanor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (501)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Walnut Creek, CA
Reviewed April 21, 2011

I spent eight days in Berlin in April 2011, and chose the Circus based on the great reviews here on Trip Advisor. The Circus lived up to its billing, and I’m not sure how much more I can add that hasn’t been said already.

As others have noted, this is not a luxury hotel. However, it does not feel like a “budget” hotel, although you will be paying a “budget” price. It was refreshing for me to stay in a non –chain hotel that did not cater to the business traveler and did not nickel and dime you for every little thing like the big chains typically do.

The first thing to note about the Circus is that the location is great. The Rosenthaler Strasse location is in a vibrant neighborhood, with lots of interesting shops and restaurants everywhere you look. It also borders the very trendy Prenzlauer Berg neighborhood where there are lots more interesting shops and restaurants. The Circus has a U-Bahn stop right in front of it, and it is only about a 10 minute walk to the Hackescher Markt S-Bahn stop which is really handy for getting around town quickly and for making a day-trip to Potsdam. I felt that by staying at the Circus you really got to experience Berlin’s more unique neighborhoods and not just seeing the major attractions as most tourists do, without really getting to know the city in depth.

The staff at the Circus were very friendly and helpful. Rooms were very comfortable but as others have noted, are on the small side (but with great showers). I had a standard double room. I was by myself; but if my husband had been with me I would have paid the extra 10 euro and gotten the junior suite just to have more room. While a standard double was fine for me, I was happy I did not get a single or Double Economy room.

I did not eat in the hotel restaurant; as there were so many places in the neighborhood. I particularly recommend Monsieur Vong, Chen Che (right down the street on Rosenthaler) and Babel about five blocks up on Kastanienallee in Prenzlauer Berg. For breakfast, there is the Back Bakery chain, located across the street. Good selection of pastries, rolls, sandwiches and very reasonably priced.

Another advantage of the Circus is the free Wi-Fi and a place to do laundry almost right across the street. The only negative thing I can say about the Circus is there is very poor lighting for reading at night, but I have found this to be true at many other hotels as well.

To summarize, a great hotel in a great city! I hope to return to Berlin sooner rather than later and will stay at the Circus again! I only wish this hotel had other locations elsewhere in Europe!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Aurora100
Thundridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2011

My wife and I spend four nights at the Circus hotel and were extremely impressed. I won't go into all the individual strong points which are written far more articulately by other reviewers but what stood out was how small details made for an enhanced experience. Little things like free apples on reception and getting a travel pass cheaper through the rent system made this a totally stress free stay. The only complaint would be the rooms can be quite stuffy as windows must be closed at night due to noise but that is a small price to pay for a fantastic location.

1 Thank TomPattison
London
Reviewed April 19, 2011

As all reviews have said, The Circus deserves its ratings. From arrival to departure the service in this small but very modern hotel can't be faulted. The front of house staff are at least bilingual but also trained to perfection (they should start up a training school cos I can think of a few hotels that need to send their staff there!). We had a junior suite which was really good (especially the shower!). The area is perfect for vsiting Berlin as it is near all public transport-again, excellent. Also in the area there are enough bars and restaurants to visit plus it has a very arty feel to it. We picked up two of the Brewer Tours (look for separate reviews) which are well worth it! We didn't go with the buffet breakfast-lots of other places around to find cheap eats and my only small moan is that the towels were very small and thin! (and I'm not!!) But this is nothing in comparison to the big picture-The Circus Hotel is top!

Room Tip: Get a travel pass from front desk
New Bern, North Carolina
Reviewed April 19, 2011

After reading all of the reviews from other guests I had to book with this hotel. The staff, food, atmosphere the whole experience was wonderful! My husband lived in Germany for many years and said this was the best hotel he has ever stayed at in Berlin. The only complaint I have is that they did not have us in the system. I was sitting in our room when I got the email that they were sorry we didn't make it??? It was a minor thing of course. We loved our room! The staff spoke beautiful English, recommended us to great places to eat and have drinks. Everything is in walking distance. In their elevator it has updated information going on in the hotel and surrounding areas regarding tours. We took one of the tours and it was GREAT! The breakfast is a must also!!! Book this hotel for your stay in Berlin!!! It's awesome!!!

Room Tip: Junior Suite was just right for 2 people.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank klbterp
uk
Reviewed April 16, 2011

Brilliant hotel, fantastic staff, great location and lovely room! Best hotel I have ever stayed in!

1 Thank thewanderer2107
Ipswich, England
Reviewed April 7, 2011

Just got back from Berlin, and we had booked The Circus based on the reviews on Tripadvisor. From the very first moment we walked in the door, till the moment we left, we were treated to the very best service. The staff were great, the room (101) was fantastic. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

3 Thank cmgrhs