“Good food, terrible service.”
Review of Dudu

Dudu
Ranked #165 of 8,663 Restaurants in Berlin
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Mitte
Reviewed June 3, 2014

We went to this restaurant without making a reservation. We were happy to see the interior and garden looked great.
It was very busy so we had to wait a few minutes. No problem ofcourse. I ordered two white dry wine at the bar and the waiter then gave me a very sweet wine that almost tasted like a deserst wine. I asked the waiter if this was dry wine and he said it was. I knew better so I asked the guy behind te bar. He gave me two new glasses of dry white wine.
We sat outside in a corner that was hard to reach for the waiters. After being ignored for a long time the waiter took our order. After waiting for 45 minutes we asked another waiter if he could check our order. He came back and told us the waiter forgot our order.
We ordered again and then finally got our food. The waiter was in such a rush we did not even get the chance to ask for soy sauce and chopsticks. I have to say: the food was delicious.

We wanted to order a new plate of sushi and specifically asked for one glass of white dry wine.
Again the waiter gave us sweet wine. I asked him if he could bring me dry wine and so again he replied 'this is dry wine'. He came back with a new glas of wine.. and again: another sweet wine. According to him this was the dryest wine they had.
I told him to leave the wine because by that time we had already finished our food and were so annoyed by the poor service. We got the check and were surprised to see the two glasses of wine cost us €7,50 per glass.

Good sushi, terrible waiters that don't know the difference between dry and white wine and don't know how to treat a customer.

There are newer reviews for Dudu

Reviewed May 22, 2014

we went there with 8 people (made a reservation before).
Got a table outside (to the street) - as requested, but we found Space was much to tidy for 8 people!
The food was average to good, but very expensive for what you got (94,- EUR for a sushi plate for 4, but i would say it was just enough 2; maybe 3).
After having ordered more food and more drinks, we were suddenly asked to pay, because this table was reserved for the next group.
So be aware, your reservations are made by 'slots' of about 1.5hrs!
Overall, not worth the experience.

Reviewed May 14, 2014

I have been to Dudu a few times over the years, and never had a complaint -- but the treatment my friend and I received last Sunday (May 11) was really quite shocking.

Since I am familiar with the restaurant, I know it gets busy, so I made a reservation for three people at 6:30pm on a sunday. I made the reservation about an hour before we arrived, speaking to a man on the phone, who I believe was the host we then encountered at the door.

This host told us we only had a reservation for two. I explained, that in fact that wasn't the case, we had a reservation for three, and he seemed quite suspicious and irritated -- clearly implying that I was lying. He then told us that we could sit squeezed at the far end of one table, two of us on bench seating, with one of us awkwardly thrust in an uncomfortable armchair thrown on the end.

This was immediately irritating, as when you are a walk-in, perhaps you can feel grateful for this type of arrangement, but when you make a reservation, you do actually expect to receive proper seating.

The Asian female server was very nice and we ordered drinks, appetizers, entrees, and desert. There was a mix-up when we ordered an additional papaya salad with the person who served our food -- it never came -- but that was quickly corrected. Meanwhile, one of our party had to leave, so we became a party of two about half way through the meal.

Then it got ugly: The host came over while we were still eating our dessert and said someone was waiting for our table, and could we please move to a seating area by the door?

Calling this a seating area is a stretch -- it is a few tall stools crammed in a corner adjacent to the door, in the same place where people crowd, elbow-to-elbow, to try and get a table. I said politely that we were nearly finished and would be leaving soon. We then finished our dessert, asked for the check and received the check.

Our bill for three was 78 euros, and we included 15 percent tip -- very generous for Germany. This whole process took a few minutes. Suddenly the host came over and said in a very loud and sarcastic voice, in English, "I think now is a good time for you to move as I asked you to, don't you think?"

My friend and I were really quite shocked by both his tone and language. In fact, so was the rest of the table -- complete strangers who looked as us and said, "wow."

Considering at this point we were just two, had far corners of bench seating, and had just dropped 90 EUROS for less than two hours of eating, this was really shocking treatment. I also believe, the switch to English was a message to us.

We were speaking English together. (I speak German fluently after 8 years in German and all of my conversation to the host until this point was done in German). He assumed, incorrectly, that we were tourists and that he could treat us badly as we did not live locally.

He also seemed to be showing an irrational hatred for English speakers that could be quickly solved by finding a job deep in Charlottenburg and not on Torstrasse.

I will never ever go back here again. I will also tell all of my friends this story (That would be Berlin's movers and shakers in the film, art, and media world), and have them boycott it as well.

There are plenty of great asian restaurants in Berlin without the terrible rudeness - my advice, go there.

Reviewed May 13, 2014

I dislike that you a lot of times need to share your table with other groups of guests here.
I can cope with it at places where it is cheap to eat, but when I splash out 50 euros plus for the full meal I do expect some table privacy for me and my friends.

Also half of the staff here is quite uninterested in their work. Stereo type hipsters that see themselves as holier than thou artists, dj´s, musicians, whatever - but still need to work as waiters to get by.

The food itself is good, but you can get a MUCH better asian meal at District Mot nearby for half the price.

Reviewed May 9, 2014

Eating there was a very bad experience.

We were treated very harshly by the asian chef-service guy (the one with the bad tattoos), because I joined my colleagues, who ordered a table for four. In every other restaurant, you have at least enough space that it's no problem for five people to sit and eat on a table for four, but here the tables are placed so tightly that you get bounced by people (and service) all the time. What followed was a very stupid discussion with the service who got really aggressiv (he even accused us for "sitting there for over an hour").

Food was ok, but not that good to justify such a behavior. The whole place looks like a tourist trap.

2  Thank Wolfgang L