“Ambiance, Meh...Sushi, fantastic”

Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese, Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mitte
Description: Das Sushi-Restaurant Izumi in Berlin-Mitte serviert beste Qualitaet und wurde dafuer schon von Gastro-Gold praemiert und mit einem Gastro-Award ausgezeichnet. Hier wird ausnahmslos auf hochwertige Produkte Wert gelegt und so kommt nur die frischeste Fischqualitaet auf den Tisch. Exklusive Produkte wie den einzigartigen Sushi-Reis oder die glutamatfreie Sojasosse bezieht das Izumi nur von ausgesuchten Herstellern. Atmosphaere und Angebot im Izumi zeugen von der Authentizitaet des Restaurants und so geniesst man in japanischem Ambiente neben den vielfaeltigen Sushi-Variationen auch eine grosse Teeauswahl. Das Izumi ist zentral an der Friedrichstrasse gelegen und beliefert auch seine Gaeste in ganz Berlin. Auch Catering bietet das Restaurant an und Veranstaltungen werden individuell geplant.
Reviewed June 17, 2013

When I went into the place I was disappointed that it had been in the top 5 sushi restaurants in Berlin. There is no sushi-bar, it's been purposely stacked with magazines business cards, etc. so no one uses it. The menu is a textbook "sushi-for-beginners" menu with a limited selection and full of pictures.

However when we sat and someone came to the table, everything changed. The Menu is really just a guideline and they have a lot more to offer, you just need to ask. When the food came I was even more surprised at how much effort was put into ensuring quality, flavor and presentation.

I will definitely go here again.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

I visited this restaurant with my husband around christmas 2012. The sushi was fresh and beautiful (I send in a picture), service was quick and friendly and we loved the minimalistic modern oriëntal interior. We had tea with fresh mint leaves, honey and fresh squeezed ginger, which was absolutely lovely. (check out the picture I send in) I was not familiar with this recepy, but I've made it at home for ourselves several times since then. I would recommend this place to anyone who likes a good sushi for a reasonable price in a nice atmosphere.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I had their specialty (I don't remember the name, something like chicken teriyaki) and it was excellent. Sushi was very good, tuna could be better, but salmon was perfect. All together for less than 20€ was cheap and very good. The rice was excellent which is very important to me.

Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

The worst sushi ever ! Not firmly rolled, totally out of balance (too sweet). Glad I live in a place where they have better sushi.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

OMG, if this is supposed to be Berlin's number 1 Sushi restaurant, then do yourself a favor and do not eat sushi whilst in Berlin. This place does not even look like a Japanese restaurant. Let us start with the staff, who truly make you feel like you are not welcome the minute you walk in, actually they are rude, and definitely not Japanese. The service was so slow from the beginning, I had time to take a nap before the waitress showed up. When the waitress finally showed up, she was so annoyed that we actually had questions that we hurried so that we would not bother her any longer. Then a second waitress shows up that was even more annoyed that we were there. Getting a bottle of wine took forever, and I do mean forever, which arrived just before the food. The food itself was "just" ok. They are trying far too hard to be a modern creative Japanese restaurant as opposed to providing quality. The sushi itself looked like (and tasted) like it was put together in a Bavarian restaurant, it just did not have the look that the sushi should have when there is actual care taken to present food the way it should be. To be honest there were issues with this place from the very beginning to the end, even getting the bill done properly was an issue. Do yourself a favor, avoid this place.