“Very Good and Very Inexpensive”

IZUMI Restaurant - Sushi Bar
Ranked #2,378 of 9,181 Restaurants in Berlin
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mitte
Description: Das Sushi-Restaurant Izumi in Berlin-Mitte serviert beste Qualitaet und wurde dafuer schon von Gastro-Gold praemiert und mit einem Gastro-Award ausgezeichnet. Hier wird ausnahmslos auf hochwertige Produkte Wert gelegt und so kommt nur die frischeste Fischqualitaet auf den Tisch. Exklusive Produkte wie den einzigartigen Sushi-Reis oder die glutamatfreie Sojasosse bezieht das Izumi nur von ausgesuchten Herstellern. Atmosphaere und Angebot im Izumi zeugen von der Authentizitaet des Restaurants und so geniesst man in japanischem Ambiente neben den vielfaeltigen Sushi-Variationen auch eine grosse Teeauswahl. Das Izumi ist zentral an der Friedrichstrasse gelegen und beliefert auch seine Gaeste in ganz Berlin. Auch Catering bietet das Restaurant an und Veranstaltungen werden individuell geplant.
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I had dinner there tonight (October 2). I had been traveling all day, was tired and it was getting late. The restaurant had been mentioned in Frommer's, and because it was only a few blocks from my hotel, I decided to give it a try. It is just off of Friedrichstrasse, not far from what had been Checkpoint Charlie. The restaurant (Tuesday night) was not at all crowded, the service was prompt (and I enjoyed talking to the young Ukranian waitress who wanted to practice her English a little). I frequently have sushi back home in New York City, and the sushi here was definitely above average. Best of all, I ordered one of the "menu items," in which I got eight pieces of sushi and six pieces of roll, and was amazed at how reasonable it was. A cup of miso soup, the platter just described, and two glasses of beer came to $30.98. A comparable meal in a sushi restaurant in NYC would have been at least $75, and probably closer to $100. If atmosphere is not important to you, but you just want a really good sushi dinner at a very good price, give it a try if you are near the Checkpoint Charlie area in what was once East Berlin.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

I'm a sushi addicted and I can say that here it's a good choice.
Very nice scallop and also the raw shrimps, very sweet..
It's an elegant place only a little too much crowded

Reviewed September 2, 2012

Reading other reviews, I didn't expect anything special. And that was the case. The place was ok, a bit stuffy air inside. Sushi were average. It seemed to me that the meat in some of the sashimi options was not really fresh. Overall: I don't understand why this place got such reviews.

Reviewed February 4, 2012

This place dishes out the best of the best. Fresh, super quick and with a relaxing atmosphere.

Reviewed January 20, 2012

After reading some great comments about Izumi on Tripadvisor, we were pretty excited to go there for lunch, since we all know that japanese restaurants and Sushi in Berlin and Germany are not exactly awesome. We got there, the restaurant was pretty empty. However, the interior was simple, nothing which could really disturb you from eating. We ordered both Tea, which were okay, but tasted a little pale. On the food side, we had Sake Sashimi, Dragon Roll and Spicy Tuna Roll. My wife did also have a Miso Soup, which was okay, though it had rarely any seaweed in it and tasted not precise freshly made to me. Dragon Roll was good, while the Spicy Tuna wasn't even spicy and nor the Tuna seemed being of a good quality. But the biggest diappointment was the Sake sashimi, which came to the table completely diffrent plated as shown on the menu (By the way, if I see pictures on menues, I have one rule: RUN). However, if you put pictures on, then the food should look like it. But that wasn't the problem here, as it was more the quality of the fish. Which was first, way to cold served, I could swear I felt ice crystal while chewing the first bites. Second, it must have been frozen, as it tasted like nothing and was just watery. And third, sliced way to thin, so it didn't have any texture.
So all in all, it wasn't extraordinary, but tasteless and not better as any other sushibar in Berlin. We left the restaurant just we ate better in a japanese franchise restaurant in Hamburg the month before.
Tho I have to say, I'm a chef and have eaten in japenese restaurants all over the world, maybe we were just to excited and also the prices seemed a little to much for what it was!

3  Thank Enrico K