“Great stay but some security concerns...”
Review of Axel Hotel Berlin

Axel Hotel Berlin
Ranked #184 of 635 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I stayed for a weekend in January, my seeond visit to the Axel and I think it is generally a good hotel which offers value for money and a good location. The outside temperature was -16°C, which meant the rooms were a bit cold, but maybe that is to be expected in such a climate. The breakfast was great and the staff really helpful and friendly - with lots of local knowledge on where to visit and how to get to places. My only concern was that there appeared to be several rent boys in the gym/spa area of the hotel, which can be accessed without any type of key/people being checked. Their presence was obvious and several other guests commented on how it gave the place a rather seedy atmosphere and because many of the lockers had no keys to lock possessions away, meant you could not secure your personal effects.

I mentioned this to the reception, and despite their positive attitude and friendliness to all other aspects of my stay, they didn't seem to be bothered about the presence of non-guests in the otel's facilities...I was a bit saddened by this reaction.

All in all, however, a great place to stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
AxelhotelBerlin, Leiter Front Office at Axel Hotel Berlin, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Dear Christoferismo,
thank you very much for your kind review here on TripAdvisor. I am happy you enjooyed your stay at Axel Hotel Berlin. Also let me assure you that of course we bother if somebody enters the hotel who is not a guest. We are currently working on a few mor security facilities, like equipping our elevators and the Spa with card readers. If you come back to Berlin, please feel free to visit us anytime!You might also want to check out our other hotels in Barcelona, Buenos Aires and our newest one in Maspalomas / Gran Canaria. Best regards from Berlin, Christoph Michel, Front Office Manager, Axel Hotel Berlin.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

I spent 3 nights at the Axel hotel in Berlin, booking a single room. This was my first visit to Berlin, and to Germany in fact.

On arrival the very pleasant and helpful receptionist offered me the choice of a twin room, which I was delighted to accept. It was a very good sized room, with two single beds pushed together, very comfortable. The shower is amazing - large enough for 3 people and has a huge overhead shower, with about 3 other shower outlets at different levels down the wall - so you are sprayed in all directions! The only genuine English channel on the TV is BBC World, which is ok but not very exciting. I have no criticisms regarding my room except for the lack of tea and coffee making facilities, which is odd in a 4 star hotel ... even Travelodge have these. There was also possibly a lack of hooks to hang clothes etc on. The black decor in my room and across the hotel is striking and uniform, the general style being minimalist and very smart. It does have the atmosphere of a "dark room".

Whilst primarily an hotel for the LGBT community, there were some heterosexual guests, including a mother, father and baby daughter - and all seemed very comfortable in the relaxed atmosphere. I did find myself wondering what the young mother thought of door signs like "Please do disturb" but she may have just found it amusing. On the top floor is a spa complex, including 2 saunas, a gym and an outside jacuzzi. All-male nudity was fairly open here, so not sure what would have happened if female guests had arrived on the scene.

The location of the hotel is around the corner from the fabulous KaDeWe departmental store, the square of cafes and underground station in front of it. Immediately behind the hotel is one of the main streets of gay venues. I decided to walk to the Brandenburg gate from the hotel instead of catching the tube, and this took me about 45 minutes - in a route taking me through the central park and past the Victory column. The enormous vistas opening up along this route were impressive. Generally I found that in central Berlin i kept coming across sights on foot whether I planned to see them or not ... the Holocaust memorial, the remains of the wall, checkpoint charlie, even though i only had Brandenburg gate and the Jewish museum on my itinery! After long days of sight seeing and much walking, it was lovely to return to the hotel and relax in the sauna and jacuzzi, or take a luscious shower in my room.

With no station staff to assist, using the underground is a bit daunting at first. However, the machines you use to purchase tickets (2.40 euros) do have an English translation option which I found essential. The trains are narrower than the London tube, but seemed more efficient and less crowded. Berlin generally seemed less crowded than London, and there was certainly less traffic due to the wide streets with plenty of room for cycle lanes.

Breakfast was, to my mind, a bit disappointing - cold meats, salad, fruit, rolls rather than full English. So the only downsides - the lack of tea & coffee facilities, and the breakfast - are very easily rectifiable should the hotel decide to do so.

Overall, I really enjoyed my stay at the Axel, and would certainly recommend it, and be happy to stay at the Axel hotels in Barcelona and Gran Canaria should I visit. The Berlin Axel is an efficiently run and welcoming place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Dear LondRobert,
thank you so much for your kind review here on TripAdvisor. I am very glad you had a good time staying with us. If you come back to Berlin, please feel free to visit us anytime! You might also want to check out our other hotels in Barcelona, Buenos Aires and our newest one in Maspalomas / Gran Canaria. Best regards from Berlin, Christoph Michel, Front Office Manager, Axel Hotel Berlin.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

We prepaid five nights at the Axel Berlin in April 2013. After checking in, we were given a room that was ridiculously small -- about the size of a college dorm room. It was painted in a depressing flat black paint and had an all glass shower with a permanent red light bulb in the center of the room. There was no furniture or closet for clothes, just a narrow ledge behind the bed and a foot-long rod beyond my reach high above the bed. There was barely enough room on the floor for luggage, assuming you stepped over it. A dingy wooden sliding door separated the toilet. The hallway smelled of sweat. This place seemed more like a bathhouse than a hotel.
We decided to get a room at another hotel in order to have a pleasant stay in Berlin. Since we had made the mistake of prepaying the Axel for five nights for a discount, we decided to keep the room as a secondary room for resting, changing, showering or using the bathroom when we went out to the nearby restaurants and bars. We informed the front desk that only one of us would be staying in the room.
When we returned a few days later to use our prepaid room, the room key no longer worked and there was a privacy sign on the door. I went down to the front desk and explained that my key no longer worked. When I told him the room number, the clerk removed a torn document from his waste basket, claimed we were a "no show" since there was no luggage in the room and said they re-rented our room to someone else. The "no show" excuse was particularly outrageous since this was the same clerk who had checked us in a few days earlier and I presented him with one of the room keys we had received at check-in. (Fortunately I retained the other key and check-in envelope to challenge their "no show" excuse).
The clerk refused to refund our money or give us a replacement room. He showed no concern about the unethical practice of receiving double rent for the same room or the fact that the room was prepaid and belonged to us for those five days to use as little or as much as we wanted. He just repeatedly claimed we were a "no show." Gay travelers should consider the many other good hotel options in Schoneburg rather than this very disappointing hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank RSD2013
AxelhotelBerlin, Geschäftsführer at Axel Hotel Berlin, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Dear RSD2013, i m really sorry that you have the feeling that we Rip Off the Gay Community. This is totally not in our mind. I spoke with the receptionist and he confirm that you don`t give us any information at all that you will come back. The room was empty and without luggage for completly two nights and nobody was using that room, not even the shower or toilette. Because it was already the last night and we had a high demand on that day we sell that room again.For us was clear that nobody is coming back after these 48 hours. Due to your room rate was a non refundable reservation was a cancellation anyway not possible. With any single information about your planning to keep this room it will be not a problem to keep it for the whole stay.
Dear RSD2013, our main goal is to offer the perfect and individual guest service to our guest. I m really sorry to hear that you didn’t found that service during your stay. I hope that you will give us again the chance in the future to convince you with our service. We have also suites available with more space. You have my contacts right now, so whenever you like please feel free and contact me anytime. I will see what I can do for you. Best regards, Oliver Boehme, General Manager, Axel Hotel Berlin

Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

Well situated hôtel located near kadewe. Full breakfast buffet. Mostly gay. Close to gay scene. Small but pleasant spa. Clean room. Put the 'do not disturb' card if you don't want to be wake up by service at 9am.

• Stayed: May 2013
AxelhotelBerlin, Leiter Front Office at Axel Hotel Berlin, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2013

Dear rogerbee,
thank you so much for this nice review here on TripAdvisor. I am happy you had a good stay in Axel Hotel Berlin. We are looking forward welcoming you again soon. Please feel free to visit our other hotels in Barcelona, Buenos Aires and Maspalomas / Gran Canaria as well! Best regards from Berlin, Christoph Michel, Front Office Manager, Axel Hotel Berlin.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed here as a birthday / anniversary present from my better half - we much prefer the small friendly hotels and we weren't disappointed - we had a junior suite which was just as advertised, I have to say we did see the standard rooms and they were a tad on the small side.
Service was great, the lads on reception helped us out with restaurant recommendations etc and we just went off exploring.

Perfectly placed for shopping, the Helmut Newton Foundation and of course the gay friendliness of the area. It was refreshing to be able to be so relaxed together - there was none of the odd undercurrent you can get in straight places!!

Girls - don't be put off that its primarily men staying here (sorry guys we found your secret!) its a great place. Our only disappointment was that the sky bar is a summer only thing - its outdoors and not an enclosed space - this wasn't obvious when booking and was one of the things we were looking at using.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a junior suite :)
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
AxelhotelBerlin, Geschäftsführer at Axel Hotel Berlin, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Dear Michele77, thank you so much for your great review here on Tripadvisor. It is always important to get a feedback from our guest and for sure it is much better to read a positive one like yours. We are happy that you enjoy the time with us and we are all looking forward to welcoming you in the near future. Best regards from Berlin, Oliver Boehme, General Manager, Axel Hotel Berlin

Reviewed May 7, 2013

My best friend, Owen, and I stayed in Berlin May 1 - May 5 for the second time and had an excellent stay.
The staff are excellent and friendly. Chris on the front desk was esp good at finding some not so easy to find information about rowing clubs in Berlin.
Keep it up!!

Room Tip: Be sure to have a Burger in the Mary Burger Bar - excellent.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Dear 22Greg, first of all i like to thank you for your recent stay in the Axel Hotel Berlin. We are so happy that you had a good time with us and we are really appreciate your great review you wrote here on Tripadvisor. We are all looking forward to welcoming you in the near future. For the moment i wish you all the best and send my regards from Berlin, Oliver Boehme, General Manager, Axel Hotel Berlin

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Just came back from 3 nights at the Axel Hotel and would definately recommend it!
Having read all the reviews saying that the rooms are small I don't know what they were talking about, the room were of a good size, definitely enough for our stay anyway!
Hotel staff were friendly and helpful, and they had a secure luggage storage area for before we checked in to keep out luggage.
Location is perfect literally 2 mins walk from the nearest U-Bahn stop, and about 5 mins from the main gay bars and clubs!
Would come back here again defiantly!

• Stayed: May 2013

Dear BenDCh, thank you so much for your great review here on Tripadvisor. It is always important to get a feedback from our guest, so that we have the chance to improve our service as well. We are all looking forward to welcoming you in the near future. I wish you all the best and send regards from Berlin, Oliver Boehme, General Manager, Axel Hotel Berlin