“Easter at the Axel”

Ranked #200 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
HASTINGS
“Easter at the Axel”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

This was our second stay at the Axel hotel in recent years due to the excellent location just a few mins away from the U-Bahn services from Wittenbergplatz Station (one stop from Berlin Zoo Mainline DB station) which is also 24 hours at weekends and the night before bank holidays. The gym, sauna and outdoor jacuzzi command a great view and are spotless. The rooms are functional although if you like your space I would recommend the Junior Suites. The breakfast is excellent and operates through to 1200 on Sundays and Bank Holidays (1100 other days) You can also ask for a late check out until 1300 subject to availability. Iron and boards can be requested from reception. However opportunity for improvement would be to offer a much later chargeable checkout to say 1600 like some other hotels are now offering and also a few more routers to make the wi fi more stable and offer the opportunity to issue more log ons so that more than one device can be logged on at once.

3 Thank RayChapmanHastings
AxelhotelBerlin, Leiter Front Office at Axel Hotel Berlin, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear RayChapmanHastings,
thank you so much for your great review here on TripAdvisor. I am happy to read you enjoyed your stay at Axel Hotel Berlin and I would be even happier if I will see you again on your next stay in Berlin. In case you like to visit warmer place you might be also interested in our other hotels in Barcelona, Buenos Aires and from 1st of May on in Maspalomas / Gran Canaria. Best regards from Berlin, Christoph Michel, Front Office Manager, Axel Hotel Berlin.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We had a great weekend in Berlin and enjoy our time in the Axel Hotel Berlin. Service was great and everybody was really friendly. We didn`t found the time for the breakfast but enjoy the SPA with the Sauna and Jacuzzi everyday. Rooms are small but clean and cosy. It was just to cold during our weekend so that we like to come back in summer.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
AxelhotelBerlin, Leiter Front Office at Axel Hotel Berlin, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear Peter J,
thank you so much for this great review here on TripAdvisor. I am very happy you had a good time at Axel Hotel Berlin. Please feel free to visit us again anytime, also of course our other hotels in Barcelona, Buenos Aires and from 1st of March on in Maspalomas / Gran Canaria! Best regards from Berlin, Christoph Michel, Front Office Manager, Axel Hotel Berlin.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I'm a frequent traveler to Berlin (about every two months). My travel companion wanted very badly to try the Axel Hotel, just for the change. We were in for a surprise.

Upon arrival, we were instructed that the free Wifi is for one simultaneous device, and that it would be possible to logoff of one device, and then log onto another. We went up to the room to unpack. The first impression of the room is fantastic, until reality sets in.

The room is small, even for European standards. The bed however is big (180cm), and very comfortable There is no other furniture, as there is no room for it. There is no closet, and only two small draws. There is a rod to hang clothes from, but this is located near the ceiling. We are both 170cm tall, and could not reach it. I seem to have missed on the website that you needed to be at least 180cm tall to hang up your clothes. The bathroom is located in the room, with no partition of any kind. Therefore, if you wish to brush your teeth or take a shower when your friend is sleeping, you'll wake him up. The toilet is separated by a flimsy hollow-wooden sliding door.

After settling in, we logged into the internet. When finished with one device we logged out, and tried to log in with the other. It failed. We called reception who told us to come down with both devices. As he already knew it wouldn't work, he simply gave us another set of login codes - which was very nice of him.

When we went back up to the room, we started to clean up, only to discover the bathroom sink had no hot water. The receptionist (the only person on-staff) came up, and determined a plumber was required. He explained that this could only be arranged the next morning. We were then in a rush, and just agreed.

The next day, we heard nothing from the plumber, and left the hotel in the early afternoon. We asked reception when the plumber would arrive, and they said they had no record from the previous evening that one would be required. We explained what happened the previous evening, and with total indifference, the receptionist said "I'm not sure we can do anything about it!" We told him to try, and also to send up housekeeping.

When we returned, we were happy to see that they cleaned the room, and also fixed the hot water in the bathroom sink. That evening however, we discovered why the hot water had been shut off. By turning it on, this created "air" in the pipes, and now, when we turned on the shower, there was a load banging which I'm sure could be heard throughout the hotel.

With regard to the shower, it must be noted that the plumbing was done so poorly, that if you use the toilet, or the sink (or any adjoining room), the water goes extremely hot, or extremely cold. This is very irritating. We ended up taking a bath.

The climate control also seemed to be worthless. We had it set on 15 degrees, but the room kept heating up terribly, and needed to open up the windows to get the temperature down. It was extremely cold weather during this period.

On the third day, one of the internet codes stopped working. I went down to reception with the device, and the receptionist instructed me to go back up to my room, and call him, so he could connect me with the service department caring for the Wifi. I explained that my partner was sleeping and that wasn't an option. He was totally indifferent, and handed me a new login code. When I returned to my room, my key no longer worked. I went back down to reception, and needed to wait, as the receptionist was busy helping other people. I explained my key no longer worked, and he check it, and said the key had no information on it, so I must have held it too close to my computer. When I returned to my room, the key still didn't work. Went back down to reception, and they checked the key again, only to find out they programmed it with the wrong room number. This entire exercise took 45 minutes.

When we left the hotel (early afternoon) we let the receptionist know we had vacated the room, and asked him specifically to ensure room service would clean the room (the room service person wasn't on the floor when we left). He confirmed he would do it.

When we arrived back at the hotel, later in the evening, we discovered room service hadn't come, and the guy at reception was the same person we asked to arrange it. He also witnessed many of the other issues we were having. When he came up that evening with fresh towels, soap, etc. he presented us with a voucher for two free drinks (which turned out to be for beer, wine or softdrinks) and said to us "You guyz have every reason to be very irritated with us, and we thank you for not loosing your cool. Please except this voucher as an apology, and please leave a comment card for our management team before you leave." I indicated that I would use Trip Advisor as the comment card.

One futher note about the spa. It is very small, but very cute. Unfortunately, it's only cleaned once a day, and by the end of the day, the place is a total mess.

Room Tip: If you book this hotel, only do it when you can get a deal (like €60 / night including breakfast). O...
2 Thank Barry M
AxelhotelBerlin, Leiter Front Office at Axel Hotel Berlin, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear Barry M,
first of all I would like to thank you for staying with us and leaving this detailed comment here on TripAdvisor. Comments like yours are very important to us. They help us improving and give us a good impression about the guests opinion. I am very sorry we did not meet your expectations during your stay. Please let me assure you that this definitely is not the standard we are trying to give to our guests. I already talked to all of my colleagues and we all like to apologize for those inconveniences. I would be very happy if you would visit us again on your next stay in Berlin so we can show you your words make a difference. Also all of our other hotels would be very happy to welcome you in Barcelona, Buenos Aires and from 1st of May on in Maspalomas / Gran Canaria! Best regards from Berlin, Christoph Michel, Front Office Manager, Axel Hotel Berlin.
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed March 24, 2013

This has been my 3rd or 4th stay at the Axel Hotel and I must say housekeeping used to be better. The hallways are dirty (dust, broken glass, waste) and the room was not very clean either (grease spots on the walls and on the floor, dust all over). Spa was nice and clean, water provided but no cups (haven't been refilled during my stay). 2 Shower water taps broken. Room smelled moldy when I checked in, couldn't find out where this came from. Didn't change during my stay. Have booked another stay for an extended weekend in May but am not sure if I would have done it again in case I would have known that it changed so much compared to my previous stays.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear schaeferrolf,
thanks a lot for your comment on your stay here on TripAdvisor. I am glad you chose us again on your stay in Berlin. Please let me apologize for the impression you got on the housekeeping. I would like to assure you we are working on this and will improve very soon. I would be very happy if you could show you, your words are very important for us,on your next stay. Also feel free to check out our other hotels in Barcelona, Buenos Aires and from 1st of May on in Maspalomas / Gran Canaria! Best regards from Berlin, Christoph Michel, Front Office Manager, Axel Hotel Berlin.
Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I've been to the Axel for events and had a lot of friends stay here over the years but this was my first time staying at the hotel. I was in Berlin for eight FULL days for work.

--Love that the hotel was just a block from the metro line, as well as shopping and lots of restaurants.
--Rooms are smaller than us Americans are accustomed to but totally equipped and functional. I thought they were perfectly sized, actually.
--Best part of the room is definitely the shower. Strong, hot, and large. Now I'm wanting to update my home shower. Great!
--The morning breakfast was surprising really great, too. I hear they're putting in a full restaurant in the next couple of weeks; very excited to go back and see how it turns out.

Highly recommend for anyone staying in Berlin. I am definitely going to be a repeat guest.

Room Tip: City Rooms have great showers!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear hkdeven,
thank you very much for your nice comment here on TripAdvisor. I am very happy to read you enjoyed your stay with us. You will always be welcome here on your next stays in Berlin. Also feel free to check out our other hotels in Barcelona, Buenos Aires and from 1st of May on in Maspalomas / Gran Canaria! Best regards from Berlin, Christoph Michel, Front Office Manager, Axel Hotel Berlin.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 20, 2013

An excellent hotel, clean, friendly,room was perfect ,modern chic,had hair dryer loads of towels good bed,free in room safe,Internet wifi free in room,staff friendly,minutes from Wittenberg U Bahn station.Perfect for both gays and straight people,very quiet hotel.gym was basic but enough there to keep up to date on fitness,sauna/steam room and jacuzzi good.very close to kurfurstindamm for shopping .u bahn minutes away.would recommend this hotel for anyone anytime .safe neighbourhood

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear BRITOK,
thank you so much for this great comment on your stay. I am very happy we were able to give you a good time here and Berlin and would be very glad to see you again at Axel Hotel Berlin on your next trip to the city. Also feel free to check out our other hotels in Barcelona, Buenos Aires and from 1st of May on in Maspalomas / Gran Canaria! Best regards from Berlin, Christoph Michel, Front Office Manager, Axel Hotel Berlin.
St Helens, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stayed at the Axel for 3 nights in Feb for my husbands Birthday. The hotel is very clean, smart and perfect for seeing all of the sights of the city. Its not too far away from the main gay area, however across the road there is a bar that is fab, we went there each night and had an absolute ball.

Breakfast was OK, just glad ours was in the rate as Id not be too happy if id had to pay full price for that, but Im fussy - My husband loved the salmon and eggs.

The steam room etc on the top floor is really nice, but just be careful not to have one too many wines and slip down the steps as I did and really hurt myself. My own fault though

All in all - Great hotel, Nice staff and fabulous rooms :-)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
AxelhotelBerlin, Leiter Front Office at Axel Hotel Berlin, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Mikeyd1976,
thank you very much for your great review here on TripAdvisor. I am very happy you had a good stay at Axel Hotel Berlin. Please feel free to visit us again anytime. We will be glad to see you here. Also feel welcome at our other hotels in Barcelona, Buenos Aires and from 1st of May on in Maspalomas / Gran Canaria. Best regards from Berlin. Christoph Michel, Front Office Manager, Axel Hotel Berlin.