“space and quiet - and U bahns near by”
Review of Q Damm Apartments

Q Damm Apartments
Ranked #156 of 359 Specialty Lodging in Berlin
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Having read reviews from the apartment we had found, focusing on noise from the street and the elevator (!) I was a bit concerned. But these worries are needless, just enjoy and relax in a nice place, clean and easy. The pictures don't lie, colours are white, black, red, etc. and may not be for those who fancy wooden furniture, but we really liked it. We had a really good stay in a two room flat, plus a kitchenette, lots of room and absolutely an alternative to the one room hotel kind of place. Well priced too.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed September 11, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights. We arrived after 6pm and were told that we should get the key by entering part of our reservation number - that went all perfect, got the key and found the way to our apartment easily.
The location is quite good, only a short walk from the Underground Station, Kurfuerstendamm Shopping, Restaurants, Cafes, Bars etc. It's also easy to get to from the airport with a city bus.

Once we got to our department we were a disappointed as the "official" pictures looked quite nice but the room in fact was run down...

- The kitchen was falling apart
- there was a small hole in the front door, which was fixed with tissue paper
- the curtains came off as loops were missing
- a thick layer of dust was all over the curtains
- the shelf was falling off the wall
- a tile in the shower was broken
- and for me the worst was the shower ceiling and walls were full of mould!

As the windows were not closing properly and did not seem to be double glased or anything, the noise coming from the street was terrible and it would have been impossible to sleep there without using earplugs! Also the lift in the building makes a loud humming noise, which goes on all night, every time the door opens, closes and it moves.

On the plus side, the bed was fresh and clean and actually quite comfortable and the size of the room was good.

We could no longer reach anyone to talk to about the dirty room as the reception closes at 6pm, so we decided to go out and deal with it the next day.

The next day I went up to reception to ask for the wifi password and to complain about the mouldy shower (for me the worst of all things...) The guy at reception was very friendly and gave me the password and wrote down our room number to get the shower checked.

We left for the day and were in good hope that when we came back in the evening we could have a shower in a clean shower.

When we came back to the room, nothing had happened. I am not even complaining about the fact that we didn't get new towels, beds weren't made or bins changed (after all this is an apartment and not a hotel)...but the fact that I asked for someone to clean a disgustingly dirty shower and they didn't even bother looking at it is absolutely unacceptable!

Value for money...I don't think so! Yes - we were there during IFA and the city was busy, but for 20 EUR more I could have stayed at a proper hotel...which I will do next time for sure!

Room Tip: I read from other reviews that they actually had renovated rooms, if you already have made a booking...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Q Damm Apartments were fantastic, we arrived very late at night during the reception closing hours but clear instructions had been sent to me prior travel as to how to obtain the keys. I was surprised at how fantastic the apartments were considering the great price, they were spotless and had tv, hi-fi, fridge, fully equipped kitchen and hangers in the wardrobe. If the man on reception hadn't drawn all over our map and shown us the best places to go I have no doubt that our trip would not have been as successful as it was! The location was fantastic and very close to Kurfurstendamm (the main shopping street on the Western side) and lots of U bahn links. Would certainly go again.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We stayed at Q Damm for 4 nights. The apartments are centrally located in Berlin with clean rooms, lots of space and a well equipped kitchen. The staff at Q Damm are really friendly and were able to help with all of our requests and questions regarding things to see in Berlin. Only downfall was the poor internet connection in the room.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better internet connectivity.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 3, 2013

For already three years I´ve been using Q Damm Apartments for my every stay in Berlin. Very good location, clean rooms, private parking. Kitchenette equipped with everything I need - a tea pot. Very good value and very helpful guys. I will come again for sure.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 27, 2013

The apartments are centrally located just a 10 min walk from Berlin's zoological garden, 5 min to the closest metro stop (U1). Clean Room and bathroom, nice kitchenette, Wi-Fi, almost perfect...

It could have been a "very good" to "excellent" accommodation if it wasn't for the excessively noisy lift. It sounded like there was a U-bahn train running in the corridor every 5 to 10 min from early morning until late night.

It was very hard to sleep before all guests were back and even when we did, we had been woken up by the lift a few times per night, each of the 4 nights we spent there.

So overall, it was a poor experience. Even if the noisy lift was the only drawback I found, It was in our opinion a huge one.

Hopefully they'll fix this issue soon, until then, I suggest to book elsewhere.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Manuel S
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Pros

1. The appartments are located in a very central location. Very close to Q-damm, and 12 minutes walk from the zoological garden - a central station from which you get to anywhere in Berlin.
2. Very clean room
3. The kitchenette is fully equipped with everything you need to cook your own meals, so that was very comfortable.
3. The people at the reception were very nice and helpful

Cons

1. Reception is only available from 10:00 to 18:00 every day. What if you need them before or after?
2. I booked a large double bed and got a bed that is basically 2 twin beds connected by a wooden frame, which means there is a frame between the 2 beds and as such, is not a large double bed...
When I asked about it they said that because the hotel is fully booked, they give this type of beds to solo travelers, and there wasn't any other room to move me to. Since there's wood between the bed, it's not 2 twin beds I could have connected. So I had to sleep in a twin bed although this is not what I have paid for.
3. The water temperature keeps changing. Imagine standing in the shower under hot water when suddenly the water's temperature changes to super cold. This is very unpleasant, especially in the winter. When I asked reception about this, they asked if I played with the regulator. Why would I play with a regulator, I didn't even know there is one... So they told me they'd look into it, but nothing changed. The shower kept surprising me every day with cold water.
4. The drapes they use all over the hotel don't match the window size... There are two drapes that together don't cover all the window. Which means that in the morning the sun wakes you up pretty early. Why not replace all drapes with drapes that actually fit the window?

To summarize my experience, although the room was clean and central, it wasn't as comfortable as published, and if I come to Berlin again I will look for another hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room in the highest possible floor and if you need internet in your room, make sure to ask for...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends