“The best hostel I've ever stayed in”
Review of Pfefferbett Hostel

Pfefferbett Hostel
Ranked #26 of 347 Specialty Lodging in Berlin
Ulverston
“The best hostel I've ever stayed in”
Reviewed March 18, 2009

Stumbled upon this gem of a community in Berlin when in need of a bed. The staff were amazingly helpful, the place was clean and well arranged, the wine in the bar excellent and overall I was enchanted!

Location great too and a good start for a day walking around Berlin. Near a great little flea market called Mauer Platz.

Overall I will not only be going here again but also taking everyone I know with me!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed December 8, 2008

I stayed 3 nights in a private single ensuite at the Pfefferbett Hostel. The price was the best I could find in Berlin Mitte and the hostel is brand spanking new and clean. Oscar at the front desk was so friendly and excited to check me in and make me feel comfortable. On my last day I used a locker to store my bag until I had to leave for the airport. Being so close to the Senefelderplatz metro station made sight-seeing in Berlin easy and convenient. If you're not afraid of the cold weather in winter you can easily walk to the tourist area as well.

I never bought the breakfast available, so cannot comment on it. The bar is open all the time and there are 3 computers in the lobby/lounge available on top of a wireless connection if you bring your own computer. The lobby has a pool table and foosball table if you want to pay to play. The hostel was a bit difficult to find in the dark, so I've attached a picture of the gate to look for if you exit from the Senefelderplatz metro station. Pfefferbett is tucked in the corner of a raised courtyard off Schönhauser Allee.

The private single ensuite was clean and very comfortable. The shower is on a short timer and the hall lights work on a motion detector. The room had a hot water radiator for heat and a window for ventilation in warmer weather. During off-season the hostel was very quiet, though I did hear some noises (i.e. a couple moaning...) travelling from another room one morning.

I would definately stay at Pfefferbett again and recommend it to my friends. Great value, awesome staff, and good clean facilities.

• Liked — Awesome value and friendly staff.
  • Disliked — Not much except the room could use a colorful picture.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 24, 2008

The Pfefferbett in Berlin was my first hostel experience. While backpacking through Europe, I chose some hotels but also wanted to get that true "backpacker" feel in some cities. It was WAY more than I expected.

The front desk was very accommodating, letting me check in early and lending me an adapter (I lost mine on the plane!). I was in a single, to kind of ease my way into hostel life, and it was tiny but cute and so clean! The bed was comfy. There was a flat screen TV (which I didn't watch, but still...pretty swanky for a hostel). I had a private bathroom, which was really nice and actually, bigger than my bathroom at home. The weird thing was that the shower turned off about every 20 seconds so I had to keep pressing the nozzle in order to get a full shower in...I don't know if that's a method to save water or if it was broken, but it was the only annoying thing.

Breakfast was good, and their orange juice is amazing! They also have free wireless internet in the lobby, as well as free computer terminals, which was great because I had schoolwork to get done. Free lockers as well if you get there early before check-in. I'm not sure how the larger multi-guest rooms are, but the single suited me just fine, and was inexpensive as well. The Pfefferbett is across the street from the Senefelderplatz stop on the U2 line, which is just two or three stops from all of the touristy stuff, and the subway system is very easy to navigate...but if you'd rather take cabs, I always saw one or two waiting right outside the gate of the hostel.

• Liked — Free wifi, close to subway
  • Disliked — Weird shower timer
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed October 26, 2008

I stayed in a 6 bed female dorm with ensuite bathroom for two nights. Girls were already there when I arrived. The room and bathroom were not cleaned once. The first day, they did not even empty the rubbish bin. I complained after the first night at reception, they just shrugged shoulders and said it would be cleaned that day then they suppose. Nope. The next day, I spoke to the cleaning supervisor. He explained that they only clean the rooms when everybody has moved out. This is outrageous and means it's bad luck if you arrive while other people are already in the room. He said they are in the process of changing their policy. Well, that's highly recommendable. The second morning, I took my shower on another floor where rooms have no ensuite. This bathroom was clean and much more comfortable. The ensuite does not make much sense in a 6 bed dorm either. Imagine 6 girls having a shower one after another and going to the toilet (even though it's separate), the noise, the time it takes and the bathroom and toilet have no window and the ventilation is pretty bad.

Good things about the place: comfortable beds, lockers in the room, wooden floor, 3 computers you can use for free in the lounge.

Breakfast for 3 Euros is ok but nothing special, cereal, bread and cold cuts, tea or coffee or water.

• Liked — Lockers in dorm for security
  • Disliked — No cleaning, too pricey for what it is 25 Euros in 6 bed dorm if you are in your 30ties - calculate the money they make per night!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank Rainbow22
Reviewed October 8, 2008

We have visited Berlin beg of Oct'08 and stayed in this hostel. We were very happly about the choice we madeIt is actually all you need for a short term stay, clean beds and linen, basic but nicely arranged interiors, good breakfast, buffet open 24/7. The hostel is located just 2 stops from Alexandersquare which is a capital centre. Additonaly if you want to go out clubbing there are plenty places around, without necessity of using public transport.
For 1 night we paid for 6 persons room about 40 EURO each which was ok, but I checked just now if you book well in advance you will get even better rates. If your are above 26 years they add charge you tax, if I'm not mistaken it was abt 16% (?)
Overall good value for your money.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 29, 2008

We booked to stay here just as the hostel was opening for business at the beginning of May this year, which was always a risky choice! It was definitely still a work in progress which at first worried us (ie., no floor or ceiling in reception, heavy plant machinery outside, painting going on everywhere...) but decided to give it a go after seeing the room (which was still being finished when we arrived!) The bed was comfy, room clean & modern/minimalist, wet room had shower/sink/toilet so basically everything you'd need for a crash pad in Berlin. Whilst we were there (3 days) the reception area was nearly finished and looked good, with a small bar area/patio garden out the back. We thought we'd definitely give it a second go if we were back in Berlin, even if we hadn't been given the room at half price on this occasion.

We found the breakfast buffet to be excellent (breads, pastries, ham, cheese, preserves, good tea/coffee/juice), and the location was excellent- just down the road from bars/restaurants in Prenzlauer Berg, but walking distance into more central sightseeing areas (if you're keen walkers like us) or just opposite the metro station (if you're not!) But to be honest the main reason we stayed despite the building work was the staff- both the girls on the front desk spoke excellent English and directed us towards the street parties in Kreuberg that night, which otherwise we would have missed out on.

I'd have rated this hostel much higher if it had been finished when we travelled, I'd bet it's a good choice by now.

Stayed May 2008