“Turist trap de luxe??”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Grill Royal

Grill Royal
Ranked #182 of 8,291 Restaurants in Berlin
Good for: Scenic view, Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Mitte
Alesund, Norway
“Turist trap de luxe??”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We arrived late, 22.30, and the restarant was crowded. Still, they offered us a table and after 30 min we were offered apperitifts and got the menus!! Doubtfully we ordered and after approx 45 min we got the Food. Of course widthout sauce . The meat itself was good .
There are lots of wery good and serviceminded restaurants in Berlin so dont spend Your Money et this onme.

• Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dublin
“Fabulous and glamorous!”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

We had seen the Grill Royal on our first night in Berlin but felt it was smarter than our attire and so on our last night we strolled in without a reservation and were without any fuss told we could have a drink at the bar while they got a table ready, even though the restaurant was very busy. We were sat in a small area separated by the bar from the main eating area and whilst this lacked atmosphere it was cosy and having arrived without a reservation we were happy enough. We ordered the seafood platter for two which at approx €100 one would expect something amazing and we were not disappointed. There were 3 tiers of all types of very fresh seafood including excellent oysters. It was decadent and we were satisfied! The staff were friendly and attentive. I can't wait to go back!

• Visited March 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Best steak in Berlin”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I visited last week for an evening meal (they do not open for lunch during the week). We hadnt made a reservation and we had no way of anticipating how busy it would be, nevertheless, we were not disappointed. The cuts of meat were on display in glass fronted refridgerators for all diners to see and select if they so wished. The service and food was fantastic. I went for the Argetinian fillet cut and it was terrific. Whilst there we opted for mojitos and a bottle of red - again the mixologist knew his stuff and the atmosphere was buzzing. Throroughly recommend.

Malmo, Sweden
“Very bad experience”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I'll preface this review by saying that this was the first time I have ever up and left a restaurant without paying. It was that bad. This dining experience bordered on excruciation not because of the food, not because of a lack of ambience or pomp, but due to the service or lack thereof. My wife and I made reservations for a Friday night, and because of its popularity they were only able to fit us in between 6 and 8 p.m. This detail was acceptable, given the appeal of their menu and considerable reputation, but the service given us simply was not. We ordered aperitifs shortly after arriving. The waiter came back with water, which in his clumsiness spilled over our table and cutlery without apology, and took our orders for food. My wife ordered a filet medium-well, and the waiter with a certain arrogance dismissed her and told her it would be better cooked medium and left. We waited 20 minutes, and still no aperitifs. The soup finally came after about 30 minutes, which was disappointing with only water to drink. I flagged down another server and asked him about this. He promised to take it up with our respective waiter. I actually saw him approach our waiter while he was taking another party's order; our original waiter looked over at us with a countenance that held an odd mixture bashfulness and spite: the domesticated and proud cur. After 10-15 more minutes, the drinks had not materialized. I then walked to the bar only to see the bar-tender idly polishing glasses. I then spoke to another waiter, expounding upon what had happened. He promised to straighten it out. 5 minutes later, someone brought us a bottle of Chardonnay, which we had not ordered. We just wanted our damn 'Horse's Neck'. We told him we had not ordered any wine, and he appeared to wilt in befuddlement, only to scurry back into the kitchen. It was approaching an hour since we had arrived at the resuturaunt, and we still had not received our drinks, and their staff was either very incompetent or too embarrassed to ask us what our original drink order was. All of this could have been remedied by the original waiter apologizing and getting our drink-order straightened-out, instead he avoided even eye-contact with us. Our soup half-finished, we got up and asked for our coats and left. The hostess was pleasant and nice at least.

As far as the food is concerned, I can only comment on the soup. My wife had lobster bisque which was average, and I had asparagus soup which was good, but not great; certainly nothing that you could not find in some upper-scale American chain-restaurant ala Ruth's Chris.

The setting of this restaurant is very nice, in the heart of east-Berlin, along a picturesque canal. The interior is pretty cheesy and boring. I would never have thought this was the place 'to be seen' if I had not read these other reviews. Avoid this place. It is very bad.

Copenhagen, Denmark
“Hopeless service outstanding food”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

If you have patience and are willing to wait a bit, this is to date the best steaks, Tatar and foie gras I have had in Europe.

The place is flashy, posh and the place to be seen, thus go here if you like such.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank KHH1985

Been to Grill Royal? Share your experiences!