“Would stay again” 4 of 5 bubbles

BEST WESTERN Hotel am Spittelmarkt
Ranked #150 of 633 Hotels in Berlin
“Would stay again”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2014

Stayed in this hotel for 5 nights as a couple. Room was on the smaller side (but have come to expect this of Europe so no surprise) but by no means uncomfortable. Location good we were able to walk to the main areas such as Berlin TV Tower and Checkpoint Charlie, however for some this might be too far and the hotel is conveniently located very close to a metro station

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 578cassc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2014 via mobile

I wasn't expecting great things from this hotel when I booked it, as the price was relatively low, the room was small, in fact I wasn't expecting it to be so small, however it was clean and efficient, although I would only recommend for solo or couples
Having read reports about the poor internet performance I was surprised to find that I got speeds of up to 10mb/s on the top floor, and of course it is free wifi
One major problem was that us was 30 degrees during my stay and with air con on full, took 24Hrs to cool the room down, although the windows do open properly which is nice
The hotel isn't massively central but good public transport links, U-Bahn is 2 minutes walk away and Alexanderplatz a 5 min ride, however I walked from Alexanderplatz and the Reichstag as weather was nice and I had time to kill and it didn't take a great length of time
I did not try the hotel breakfast offering during my stay, as I used the bakery over the road which was nice enough for a quick croissant in the
morning on my way to the U-Bahn
Checking in and out was very quick and problem free, although this was the only time I had communication with the staff over my 4 day stay, although they seemed friendly enough.
Overall I would say this is a solid 3 star hotel best used if you are only looking for a place to sleep as there are no other amenities such as a gym, cafe etc.

Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2014

People at the front desk are a pleasure, even with my incorrect booking they organised a night in.

Checkout is a firm time, we had somebody enter our room several times before the actual check out time, so if you are staying right to the end, do put the do not disturb sign on the door.

A great very good value place to stay

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lukianp
ontario canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2014

Stayed in this hotel 2 nights early June Temperatures in city quite hot. Ice had to be obtained at front desk one or two cups at a time. Would have appreciated ice machines on each floor.
Air conditioning did not seem to be working as temperatures in rooms seem to be quite high. Once windows were open in the evening it was much cooler but noises in early morning not pleasant.
wasnt advised of a swimming pool. That would have helped with heat.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Sandi B
Customer C, Leiter Gästebetreuung at BEST WESTERN Hotel am Spittelmarkt, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Dear Sandi B,

thank you for rating your stay on tripadvisor. We appreciate every comment because you help us to improve outr services.
We are currently experiencing an extreme heat wave and we understand that such a climate is not always pleasant, especially on city trips. We hope that you enjoyed your time anyway and would like to welcome youa gain during your nextr trip to Berlin.

BEST regards

Angelika
Customer Care
Tiberias, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

I reserved directly from Best Western site and was pleasantly surprised with the standard do the hotel.
Very quiet location, but so close to the underground.
Most of my compliments have been repeated, so not too much to add. I'd definitely return
Everyone at reception went out of their way to answer all our requests.
If there is a small negative comment, it's that the annex of five floors only has one elevator.
No problem leaving the hotel, but a long walk getting back to the room.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Chepstow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2014

This was a good value for money, no-frills hotel in a good location. It was particularly good for business travellers although this was not the purpose of my trip.

Positives
Excellent location, within easy walking distance if the key 'Berlin Wall' attractions.
Room was very comfortable with an extremely clean and very modern, excellent bathroom (shower only).

Negatives
The only negative was the service received from one receptionist. We'd booked non-smoking twin room and were told there were none available so we had to have a smoking room. We didn't arrive particularly late (around 18:00) so I couldn't understand this. We surmised that it was because we were ony staying ine night. Ithe room smelled a bit smoky but was okay once we'd left the windows open.

Later on, the receptionist (same one who had checked us in) seemed very unwilling to help us with times of trains to Poland. After prompting, she did look online for us and told us the times but was not forthcoming with details and I had to extract these from her. Language was not a problem as she spoke fluent English. As I didn't completely trust the information she'd provided, I asked another receptionist the next morning and although her English was not so good, she couldn't have been more helpful and provided us with a print-out of times, connection etc.

Summary
We didn't have breakfast but had some very good coffee from the machine in Reception for €2 a cup. I was a bit surprised to be charged €4 a night 'City Tax', especially as the hotel we stayed in in our return from Poland ('West' Berlin) did not charge us this.

Overall, a very pleasant stay and I would definitely recommend it as extremely good value for money.

I would have given it 5* if the first receptionist had been more helpful!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ABJor1965
Bethesda, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

I can not rave about the location of this hotel enough. It is located just across the river from the south end of Museum Island and is less than a hundred yards from the Spittelmarkt Metro Station (which is on one of the oldest Metro lines in the city, so it goes to almost all of the attractions). The hotel itself is friendly even though busy and the rooms are a bit on the Spartan side but spacious by European standards. And since the hotel is in what is essentially a residential and office area, the rooms are quiet, even with the windows open. I would stay there again in a heart beat.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo