“Good German dishes and nice service”

Mark Brandenburg am Gendarmenmarkt
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mitte (Borough)
Reviewed October 2, 2018 via mobile

I went to this restaurant to have some typical German meal.
I had a very good soup (was very well advised by the waitress on the new lens soup), and a liver as main dish.
Would come back without hesitation for a business lunch/dinner.

Date of visit: October 2018

Reviewed September 5, 2018 via mobile

Let me be clear. A major reason I decided to book this hotel is to dine at this very popular Berlin establishment. Prior to my trip, I've heard rave reviews about this place. Personally, I tend to steer clear of restaurants at purported five-star hotels because they are usually overrated and overpriced. Restaurant Mark Brandenburg was the former but not the latter.

First and foremost, it was a very lovely restaurant, full of elegance and pizzazz. The light wooden floors or red carpet complemented nicely with the darker chairs and exquisite light fixtures.

Service was good, a bit slow for my liking but just right for European standards. Very prim and proper all the way through, aside from not scraping the bread crumbs off the tablecloth.

My parents ordered the potato and oxtail soups respectively, along with the pike perch fillet. The soups were very delicious, and the portions were large. The blood pudding on top of the potato soup added a nice texture and spice. The perch was alright although the one served at Lutter and Wegner was lightyears better.

My brother and I ordered the 3 - course pre-fixed menu, which included the potato soup, ostrich tornedos, and a selection from the "skimpy" dessert tray. The soup was great, of course, but the tornedos were tough and the accompaniments were embarrassing. I don't think adding sticks of root veggies and green onions are befitting of the dish or the restaurant. They did not pair well with the meat and added no flavor to the dish itself. The chef clearly did not know how to properly cook ostrich.

The dessert tray was an afterthought. There were a number of choices, including creme brulee, Irish cream cake, berries and cream, but the portions were so small that they were not satisfying at all.

It is true that the menu was only 33 euros but I expected far more from such an acclaimed restaurant.

The beer was good, especially the Hopfenweisse and Bohemian Pilsner and because we received them for free for staying at the Hilton.

Overall, I would have given this restaurant a much higher rating if the tornedos dish was more appetizing. There is always room for improvement but it seems like it needs to do something drastic to maintain its once undisputed status in Berlin.

Reviewed August 31, 2018

One of the most prominently located large restaurants in Berlin. Outstanding service and quality throughout BUT without any character. The quality of the elegantly printed menu exceeds the quality of the food.....I ordered "meat-balls" what a dry disaster. It is not a gourmet's delight.....however the convenience of the location with well spaced tables may justify a return

Reviewed August 23, 2018

Last supper before I left, good service, good food. Had the soup tomato cold and the lamb. Very good and tasty. Good service and quick.

Reviewed July 24, 2018 via mobile

I mostly don't like German food but this restaurant was right next to the Hilton and I was exhausted after a Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp Tour. I felt like I had done a death March by going there in the July heat. I wanted something close to the hotel. What a delicious meal! Pleasantly surprised!

Date of visit: July 2018