“Fantastic value for money”

Singer109 Backpacker Apartment Hostel
Ranked #50 of 362 Specialty Lodging in Berlin
Reviewed September 21, 2011

This is a hotel with dorm beds, rather than a hostel. New, spotless and beautiful - a glass atrium lobby, leather couches in a chill area, nice bar, and terrific staff who are really helpful. I even had the room to myself the first night, a nice treat!

A little tricky to find but if you follow the directions you should be ok. The area feels a little suburban but it's only a 10-15 minute walk to Alexanderplatz and maybe a 6 minute walk to the closest station. I had no problems getting around from here and felt safe walking at night (solo female traveller).

The bar seems to be full of gap-yearers in the evening so I avoided it most nights. Drinks are moderately priced, and the bar food isn't too exciting (don't bother unless desperate), however the breakfast is excellent and definitely worth having. I ate my way through the buffet each morning which then held me until dinner, not bad for 5 euros.

I struggled with the wifi with my netbook - I couldn't get it in the room and only sitting in a certain spot in the lobby, however others could get it everywhere with their smartphones and even other laptops. I gave up and just used their computers of which there are many, they're fast and they're free.

It's a little quieter on the social front however I actually met more people to hang out with here than I have in quite a while.

As a side note in Berlin - do the New Berlin Free Walking Tour, it's fantastic. I'm not a huge fan of walking tours per se - I'd rather look around by myself - but I was recommended by several people so gave it a try. Really worth doing.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed August 8, 2011

After a painful experience trying to find this hostel we finally arrived to find that our room was not ready. Initially the staff were friendly and we decided to take a walk before coming back at around 8pm. Once checked into our rooms we decided to get ready for an evening out. We played some music (not too loudly) and sang along to the lyrics. After around 15mins the door flew open and in came two aggressive hostel staff. Without any warning we were asked to leave the premises. We apologised if we were making too much noise (again the noise was minimal – especially when considering there were 12 people in our group) and we would be extremely quiet for the duration of our stay. Unfortunately the confrontational staff would not take our word for this and asked us to leave.

After 10 minutes of trying to explain our situation (it was Friday evening and there was little chance of trying to find another place to stay) we decided to pack our luggage and leave. When we arrived at the reception to hand our keys back we were asked to pay the full nights stay or risk spending a night in jail. We explained that we had only been in our room for a matter of minutes and this was totally unjust. Before we knew it we were joined by two police officers. The belligerent security guard barked at the police officers until we decided it was wise to pay up and leave without fuss.

If you are travelling with a group of friends and you have functioning vocal cords I suggest you avoid this hostel like the plague. The staff were completely unprofessional and acted appallingly. My advice – do not stay at this hostel.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
6  Thank NickL82
Reviewed August 6, 2011

Breakfast was fantasti-tasty and with plenty of choice.Evening meals were also very good with good bar snacks available.,location was brilliant-in east Berlin close to the TV tower and all main sites .Comfy lounges for meeting with groups.Rooms very comfortable-very Ikea style-Wifi available and all staff very friendly and helpful.Would stay there again,when returning to Berlin-only thing the rooms need is a telephone in each room!!!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed June 12, 2011

Great hostel, more like hotel standard especially in the reception area. Spacious room and new bathroom, very clean. Staff mostly helpful and welcoming. Would definitely return even if I wasn't with a group.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 30, 2011

I've never stayed in a hostel as nice as this one. The front lobby is beautiful and the rooms are clean and very modern, nice roomy lockers with a hotel quality washroom. Quick walk to public transportation and we even managed to find free parking nearby, which was nice after spending 100euro in Amsterdam. Noise wasn't a big deal since it didn'tn seem to be very busy when we went, but my one gripe was how hot and stuffy the room was. We had an inside facing room and if I stayed there again I would try to get an outside facing room. Even with all the windows open it was quite uncomfortable. Free WIFI was nice, and of much higher quality than I found in other places.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 14, 2011

The hostel was very much above expectations: a very clean, modern bathroom with heated towel rails, very powerful shower and as-new tiling and ceramics. A decent breakfast with hot scrambled egg and a variety of cereals, cold meats and cheese, hot and cold drinks and yoghurts and bread-types. Beds very comfortable. Not too noisy, although sound is reflected from the atrium into the interior bedrooms. Almost convenient location, a 4-5 minute walk from the ideally placed Jannowitzbruecke Station on the main drag of the tube-network. Also has the great virtue of free internet access terminals in the lobby - great for just checking up on plans, locations, emails etc. I was very pleased with this choice and would definitely recommend it!

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the outward-facing side.
  • Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed March 27, 2011

The directions from the website were descriptive and accuracte, but the location of the hostel is odd to get to; and it's walking distance to the Alexanderplatz. There is a bar on the first floor of the hostel, which is smoking, so I didnt stay long. There were a few computers, free to use the internet which were great and a variety of cell phones chargers at the front desk in case you forgot yours. The room was a standard 4 person room, 2 bunkbeds, lockers for each person, and a tv. There was a bathroom in the room as well, so you dont have to go far or share with the entire floor.

The downside was that I ended up sharing a coed room with 3 men who were 50+. I did sign up for a coed room, and after the first night I tried to switch rooms, but they were fully booked. So I had to continue staying with the snoring men. Also the bathroom was not cleaned in the two days that I stayed there, which was a problem when sharing it with 3 males.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo