“JUST PERFECT!!!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Neighborhood: Charlottenburg
Lugano, Switzerland
“JUST PERFECT!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

we falled in love for this restaurant! here you will not find sushi but YUSHI :) real japanese food done with the hearth! the service is very kind - you have to take your time, no stress just enjoy! please open an other restaurant in Milano! 210 euro for 3 people, included 2 bottles of wine and a lot of yushi plus some sashimi (my friend can not eat gluten) and many other different warm dishes. NR 1 IN BERLIN!

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank fabandste

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Great Experience/Special Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I booked this restaurant for a 2 year anniversary. I had read that its a special type of Japanese dining and was interested to try. The staff was fantastic, the ambiance was great and we loved the food. Its not like typical huge plates or foo foo designer but what it is ...delicious. So the idea is friend food on sticks with a variety of sauces. They have a mystery menu where you pick the amount of sticks you want and chef will deliver a harmonious combo. You can also say some things you don't want. We loved ever minute. We got to try some new things we would have never eaten (lotus & ginko) while eating some flavor combos we had never had. The cost will run you somewhere in the 40 euro and up range. We did not drink we were near the 40 range. Great for special events or an experience. Not for someone who needs mass quantities. Oh and the dessert was amazing too..a small dessert place with items... Don't want to give it all away go nice for couples or families ready for a special dinner experience. The street its on was also quite romantic.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars
1 Thank AmericanAbroadAMS
Hamburg, Germany
“Different, yes. Worth the money? Not sure.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I had really really hoped that I'd love this place. My partner and I (who both enjoy Japanese and Asian flavors) were staying in Berlin, walking distance from Kushinoya, and before going there we searched online (tripadvisor, google, qype) looking for ideas and suggestions on Japanese or Asian restaurants. Based on both other reviews we saw and the look and feel of Kushinoya's website we were immediately attracted to Kushinoya - something different from your typical "sushi, tempura and teriyaki" Japanese restaurant. When we arrived and saw the menu outside Kushinoya we got worried a bit because it didn't list any price, which seemed like a sign that this was a very expensive place - and it was. I think that the tare-plate (different kinds of dips for kushiage's) is nice, but €8 for "ochazuke" (rice with green tea) and €12 for two pieces of onigiri - to me that seems too much. I also didn't like the atmosphere very much - too stiff to be comfortable, and the servers were somewhat awkward and made several mistakes, such as forgetting our orders, giving us desert that we didn't want, and the check we got was for the wrong table (with more than half of the items that we didn't order, which I thought made it very obvious that the check was not for us). And I was most disappointed that one of my onigiris, which I took to go, was missing its ume filling :(

Like many other reviewers have noted, it's a different kind of Japanese restaurant, and it's relatively pricey. If you're up for this type of experience, and if you know what to expect, I can see that Kushinoya can be a great choice - for friends, couples, families. For me, I prefer a more down-to-earth izakaya-type place that's more relaxing and friendly to your budget.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Ayako E
Frankfurt, Germany
“Delicious morsels”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Kushinoya, is a small Japanese Kushiage restaurant right at S-Bahnhof Savignyplatz. Kushiage means food skewered on bamboo sticks, lightly covered in breadcrumbs and deep-fried in hot oil. It is a fairly uncommon specialty even in Japan, where apparently it was introduced in the 19th century as a concession to Western tastes. The Kushinoya may well be the only Kushiage place in Europe. Don’t miss it for a unique, authentically Japanese dining experience!

It is best to ask for a place at the counter (booking is advisable, as the place really is tiny), from where you can watch the skewers being prepared by three serious young men, fully concentrated on their job. Altogether we counted 7 people behind the bar and serving, compared to barely three times as many guests at full capacity. Items on offer included king prawn, duck breast, Japanese eel, veal, beef, aubergine and gingko nuts, to mention but a few, with seasonal variations. Each of the different delicious morsels is freshly and individually prepared, and comes with its own special sauce. The sequence in which they are served is decided by the chef, but you can exclude particular things from a list in case of allergies or dislikes. The minimum order is 10 skewers for 25 Euros, but if you feel hungry, you can try up to 30 different ones. We stopped at 12 and felt well-satisfied, especially after a generous desert plate including Japanese green tea ice cream and sweet soy paste, which comes as part of the minimum order. The place looks so new, and the food is so carefully prepared that it is hard to believe the Kushinoya has been around for more than a few months, but actually it has been going since 2001. A memorable evening with very pleasant service and excellent food.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank kryos
Paris, France
“Fried mini-skewers (kushiage)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

If you fancy the idea of eating a set of 10 to 33 mini-skewers made with vegetables, cheeses, meats or fish, all breaded and perfectly fried (at 2.50EUR each), then this restaurant is for you. Kushiage is well-known in Japan, and this particular restaurant, Kushinoya, has places in Japan and Berlin. I would have gone for grilled rather than fried, but that's just me. I must say it's all fried so perfectly that digestion is not a problem. But my favourites were all the side dishes: rice with eel, white rice, and japanese pickles.

Our favourite skewers: scallop, pumpkin with cheese, salmon, yuzu-flavoured handmade tofu, meat-filled shiitake, lotus root. Purely meat skewers did not work - the fried crumbs covering the skewer covered the flavour too much.

For what it offers, kind of on the expensive side. And if you must ask, absolutely no sushi or sashimi of any kind.

Visited August 2012