“A must do in Berlin”

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Berlin
Ranked #1 of 669 Nightlife in Berlin
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: FREE TOURS of Berlin every day in English and Spanish. Pub Crawls and tours of Sachsenhausen, Potsdam, Third Reich Berlin, Red Berlin and more.Founded in 2003 by Yale University graduate Chris Sandeman, SANDEMANs NEW Europe thrives on a simple concept: Everyone, no matter their budget, should be able to discover Europe through the eyes of an expert. Connecting great guides with smart travelers, we believe in supporting our local communities and are commited to giving a voice to self-employed guides who have chosen Berlin as their home.By ensuring that every native English or Spanish speaking guide represents our unique style of mixing history and story-telling while maintaining their own personality and flair, we've become one of the most popular tour companies in the world. Helping superb independent guides connect with thousands of travelers a day, we provide these local freelancers the possibility to inform and entertain you, and they employ us to spread the news about this great concept.
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Having done tours in Amsterdam and Praga, I can say that the Berlin free tour is by far the best of them. It changed my whole view about the city, and is full of interesting stories. Our guide was called Rob and he did an amazing job.
Other tours I`ve done in Berlin:
Red Berlin, with Sophie Neale and Sachsenhausen with Kim. Both of them truly interesting, really nice experiences. I enjoyed both of them very much.
I`ve done the Berlin`s pub crawl and I didn`t like it very much. At first it was great, but the guides did a poor job keeping the group together. They left quickly after some bars while some people were still in the bathroom, a big chunk of the group disappeared (and there were like 4 guides, Mike, Seb, a guy called Kent or Kevin or something, and a girl). Matrix was a cool place though.

Write a ReviewReviews (24,679)
All reviews
"brandenburg gate"
in 538 reviews
"his knowledge"
in 258 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
in 176 reviews
"hitler's bunker"
in 128 reviews
"an excellent guide"
in 134 reviews
"german history"
in 289 reviews

Reviewed September 1, 2013

I've done so many of their tours that they are the first I look for! The Berlin tour was great! It was the first thing we did in Berlin. Not only did we get great history and information, but it was a great way to get the lay out of the city. We thought we had everything planned out, but after the tour we changed some of our itinerary. Our guide was very informative and took into consideration the heat and sun that day. We had a lovely break for refreshments. Again, Sandemans delivers and worth every penny you tip!

Reviewed September 1, 2013

My girlfriend, her brother and I were in Berlin for 4 days. We spent 3 of them with NewEurope doing the various incredible tours.
We completed the free tour with Sadie. Like most free tours, it gives a great introduction to the city and its unique history, with Sandemann tours always delivering more than is expected. Sadie was friendly and informative whilst also controlling the group and the time well.

Sachsenhausen is the concentration camp tour. I believe everyone should visit at least one concentration camp. This was my third, and the tour was excellently managed by Steph. The environment is interesting but very sullen and demands enormous respect. Steph led a larger than normal group and was very informative.

Finally we had the alternative tour with Amy. This was very refreshing as it focuses on Berlins more radical, underground art scene, offering a different, yet not wholly separate, history from the more prevalent WW2. We covered a large area and Amy was very friendly and funny, although the more artistic of my group felt she could have given us some more information at times. Personally, I was not disappointed and will be looking at street art with different eyes from now on.

4stars only because so much is crammed into the tours that breaks are often sacrificed. Being given 5-10 mins to use the toilet, queue for and buy food, and get some rest, is not enough, and it left many of the group too tired to truly take in all the information by the end. This was the case for all 3 tours.

Thoroughly enjoyable, informative and fun!

Reviewed September 1, 2013

We took the Red Tour during our stay and were treated to an extremely engaging and informative 2.5 hours. We were extremely lucky to have the excellent Julio (AKA "The Doctor") as our guide. Julio displayed an infectious enthusiasm for his subject and managed in a short space of time to give us an overall perspective of the turbulent times in Berlin from the end of WW2 until 1989 and beyond. Although necessarily including lots of factual information, the most appealing part of the commentary was that it explained very succinctly how the clash of ideologies impacted on the lives of ordinary citizens and also touched on the process of healing following reunification. If we had had more time in Berlin We would definitely have taken another Sandemans tour and we would certainly seek them out in other cities.

1  Thank Andy V