“Stone cold and somber.”

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mitte
Reviewed August 7, 2012

My friend and I were walking down Rosenthaler Straße from the very nice and 'trendy' area of Berlin towards the Hackescher Markt area. We were admiring all the little bars and restaurants along the way and couldn't decide which one to dine in that eve. As we approached what seemed like the end of this interesting section of Berlin we decided to eat at Ossena (trattoria) From the outside it looked like a nicely decorated, open and welcoming restaurant. We were greeted and shown to a table. (we had to ask for English menus but that says more about us than the waiter) We ordered our meals and were happily anticipating our food. During this time we were given complimentary bread. However, we had to track down our own olive oil and balsamic vinegar (borrowed from a table behind). Unfortutely our dining experience went from bad to worse from here. Our mains came within 5 minuets. Some people may like this but as I was having lasagne I was concerned it arrived so quickly. I was right to be suspicious!! My lasagne was average in the taste department but it was stone cold in the middle! Clearly it had been reheated, prob in a microwave for 20 seconds!! My friends salmon pasta dish was tasteless and bland. To make matters worse my friend had to ask for parmesan cheese twice! And then had to again track down his own black pepper. Which he also applied to my meal! (where was the waiter???)
So to end this sorry tale I will mention the fact that we had to ask for the bill twice, and still waited 5 minuets at least until it came. The only thing to lighten the mood was the side show of 'ladies of the night' outside our window touting for business!
I would recommend you avoid!

1  Thank Johnfishwick-stape

Reviewed August 7, 2012

From the outside, Ossena looks like a nice, cosy, friendly Italian. However, inside you are greeted with oblivious waiters (who you have to ask twice for everything!), bad service, and cold, reheated, bland food! In fact, the waiters were so dis-interested that my friend and I even had to grab a pepper mill from another table to season our food! Unbelievable!

(In a non-sleazy, comedic way) The only saving grace was the fun that we had watching, what can only be described as prostitutes, outside touting for business.

Avoid at all costs.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

These guys are geniuses of normality. Everything is finely sliced and so juicy. Get the Doner Sandwich with 2 sauces all of the veg and lots of very finely sliced meat. Eat it inside and try not to re-order! amazing

Reviewed July 4, 2012

Good italian cuisine. Insalata caprese and Tiramisu are "comme-il-faut"!

Reviewed July 1, 2012

I wasn't sure what to expect when visiting with some previous mixed reviews. But the kids love Italian food and it was convenient. But the food was amazing - gorgeous pizza's and lovely pasta. There were absolutely no complaints from us. I found the service was warm and friendly - and I normally moan all night about that.

It was possible the best Italian meal we have had outside of Italy. An all round good experience. We even went back later in the week it was that good - and they were great again.