“A great value” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #30 of 46 Hotels in Wurzburg
Virginia, USA
“A great value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

I recently had the joy of staying at the Hotel Barbarossa Garni in Würzburg for seven days. After spending a couple of days exploring Würzburg, I continued to stay at the Barbarossa and did day trips to Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Nürnberg, Bamberg and other nearby cities. The efficient trains make this so easy. I initially selected Hotel Barbarossa because of the good reviews and the excellent room price. It turned out to be such a good decision! Sometimes to get a good price you have to give up something. Not at Hotel Barbarossa. It is a great value. My cheery room was up date with a comfortable bed and a pleasant decor. The Barbarossa is located just a short walk from the train station and a bus and tram stop is nearby. I always felt safe to walk at night and my sleep was never disturbed by road traffic. Christine and her staff are multi-lingual and were very friendly and helpful. I was asked each morning if I slept well and the staff helped me when I needed advice or where to find something. In addition to all of this, the included breakfast each morning was amazing. Christine provides a wide assortment of meats, cheeses, breads, spreads, marmalades and fruit. In addition they cook eggs to order and the coffee was excellent. I will certainly be staying at the Hotel Barbarossa again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank travel007_8

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Turkish first
Milan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

The hotel is conveniently situated: at walking distance from the train station and close to the heart of the old town, inside an office building.
The room was comfortable, very originally decorated, well heated, clean and sufficiently equipped. And what you don't find inside your room (i.e.: hair dryer) you'll find on tables situated in the corridor, where guests can simply pick up and then put back the articles they used. A very practical idea!
Breakfast is good and very varied, and it's served in a cosy room overlooking the old town.
The lady who manages the hotel is extremely kind and helpful... and a great talker!
I'd certainly suggest this hotel to people visiting beautiful Wuerzburg, where the Romantic Road starts.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank AndyBeat
Southern California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

The hotel is on the 3rd floor at first we could not find it from the ground floor. There is an elevator and immediately we were welcomed by Christine who manages 17 rooms. There is WiFi but it has a poor reception at our room, I could hardly stay connected. Christine is very helpful in promoting tourism for Wurzburg, she gave us a run down of what to do, what transportation to take and even getting a taxi on the way to train station. It is 10 minutes walk from the station but you will pass the shopping area along Kaiserstrasse. Good breakfast

One thing I don't like with our room, it has a low ceiling as if you are staying in an attic. We bumped our heads several times on those diagonal shape that follows the curve of the roof. We suggested Christine to rearrange the bed or put a furniture that will block passage in that area but she just laughed about it. In the States, if a customer gets hurt caused by the hotel low ceiling structure, that is potential for a lawsuit.

Room Tip: Inspect your room before taking it.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

We stayed 4 nights at the Barbarossa. It was a pleasant stay. The room was comfortable and clean. Christine, the owner, is fantastic. She makes you feel like family. Breakfast was great and included. I think it was the most interesting place we stayed on our trip. There is free Wif, but from our room we needed to go to the roof patio in order to get access. That wasn't a problem because the door to the roof patio was across from our room door. Christine provided us with some wonderful local sightseeing tips. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
St. Louis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

Super easy walk from the train station.
Hotel was adorable: "shabby chic" decor and the owner/manager, Christine, is likely the nicest person on the planet. She let me check in hours early and sleep (I was so jetlagged). Bed was very comfortable and room was well-kept. Breakfast was home-made and delicious. Would stay here again and recommend to everyone. Some reviews complained about the noise - I was in room 12, used my "white noise" iPhone app, and had no issues.

Room Tip: There's no pool, but I couldn't undo my accidental selection...I did ask for a "quiet&q...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Durham, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2012

Three of my friends and I stayed here this past weekend. We were very impressed by the location, which is right downtown. Thankfully, parking was nearby and was a very affordable 7 euro per day. The room and bathroom were clean. We stayed out very late so we did not wake up in time to partake in the free breakfast. I am sure there are better hotels in Wurzburg but for the money this one served us just fine. My friend left his jacket in the room and the staff was helpful in retrieving that for us a few day later too. We would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank ScottieWP09
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2012

Christine was very nice. She makes it feel more like a bed and breakfast, then a hotel. She just took over a couple months ago, and is remodeling the rooms as time permits. Free wifi didnt make it to our room (old concrete walls) but was fine in the breakfast room. Free breakfast was very good ( she makes your eggs to order) room was very large, tv only got German channels, shower was a bit small but fine. We liked it very much

• Stayed March 2012