“Good value for money”

Maritim Hotel Wurzburg
Ranked #16 of 46 Hotels in Wurzburg
Reviewed December 29, 2012

I have stayed in this hotel several times and have no complaints. Rooms are comfortable, the swimming pool is a good size, sauna is of a good standard and its within walking distance of the train station. The bar staff always accomodate our special requests re basic food which is not on the menu. Would stay here again

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Maritim Hotel Wurzburg

Reviewed November 30, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for a weekend with a colleague of mine. He got a double room towards the street, mine was a somewhat smaller single room towards the courtyard (we both had booked a superior single room).

Our rooms were both very clean and enough silent for a good sleep. The amenities in the bathroom are very, very basic and there was no bathrobe. It was provided by the room service upon request and free of charge. For a longer sleep in the morning, it is necessary to have the room door locked and a "Do not disturb" sign outside the door.

The Maritim is well located close to the city center, it has a very nice bar and a surprisingly good restaurant. There is also a smaller and more simple restaurant. In the bar we were both impressed by the sympathetic and yet very professional trainee who was able to prepare also some cocktails even from outside the already wide selection. An excellent service! There was, however, much less, if any interaction with the other members of the personnel.

In the restaurant we enjoyed a five-course dinner, which was very good and tasty. The interior, however, could look more like a top restaurant and not like a German "Bierstube". Our breakfast was served in the first floor. I found there everything I needed, but on the other hand it was nothing to write home about.

A major disappointment in the hotel was the spa. It would need some urgent update or at least some more chairs close to the small pool. What was disturbing for me - as elsewhere in Germany - that the only sauna is mixed and people are required to be there naked. In Scandinavia our saunas are never mixed! The spa is far too small for such a big hotel. It is also somewhat confusing that the entrance to the spa is with a code that you find in your room key.

The overall experience of this hotel was positive. It is certainly the hotel I would recommend in Würzburg, mostly thanks to its excellent location (within a walking distance from the railway station and from the city center). But the Maritim would be even better, if it had its spa renewed and updated. Hence four stars.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank DiplTraveller
verkauf_wur, Manager at Maritim Hotel Wurzburg, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2012

Dear „DiplTraveller“,

Thank you for taking your time to write a review and your positive words.

We are very happy that you remark the perfect location around with walking distances to the railway station and the city center. We are also very pleased to read your kind words about the bar and the restaurants as well as our friendly and creative staff. Certainly we have passed this on to our employees.

It is our aim to offer our guests sufficient opportunities to rest. Therefore we are very sad our wellness area was not to your pleasing. The Maritim Hotel Würzburg is 28 years old and ever since we do renovations to stay up-to-date. We can only accomplish refurbishments step by step. Much to our regret you did not feel comfortable in our mixed sauna. A second sauna did not find place due to the given space. Dear „DiplTraveller“, we respect highly your criticism. As we are in Germany, you correctly mentioned, we are pretty used to mixed saunas. However we will remember your point and it is understood that we will pass it to our headquarters. Our spa is locked with a separate code for our guests’ safety and comfort because the entrance to the public underground parking garage is nearby. Thereby we ensure that only our hotel guests can use it. Thank you for your appreciation.

We really appreciate your detailed feedback, hope you had a save journey home and looking forward to welcoming you again during your next stay in Würzburg.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

We had two rooms; one, a double, was on the third floor and 'fine.' The second, a single, was on the ground floor--and a disaster. The bed was shoved into and under an alcove. The thin walls allowed all the kitchen etc noises through. They offer 3 levels of rooms--I suspect if you stay here, you should simply bite the bullet and pay the most.

Room Tip: Hugh rooms only. Away from kitchen.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
verkauf_wur, Manager at Maritim Hotel Wurzburg, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

Dear „writingprof“,

Thank you for writing a review concerning your recent stay.

It is very important for us that our guests feel comfortable and home. Therefore we offer five different room categories:

The classic category is located on the ground floor, modern arranged and comfortably furnished, ideal for a short stay. The comfort category, partly with balcony, offers a view to the courtyard or over Würzburg on the upper floors. Generously arranged and comfortably furnished rooms await you in our superior category, partly with a view over the river Main or quiet on the highest floor with studio character. Our 45sqm junior suites are elegant equipped. They offer a separate living and sleeping area and a view over the river Main and the Fortress Marienberg or quite on the highest floor with a cosy sitting area. Booking our highest category you get an exclusively arranged suite with separate living and bed rooms inclusive a cosy sitting area and a wonderful view.

We thank you for your appreciation that our different categories please different needs of our guests and therefore have different prices. Our employees in the reservation as well as the front office staff strive to offer each guest the best available room of the booked category. It looks like as if there was only this single room available when you made the reservation. We are very sorry for the inconvenience regarding the audible noises of our kitchen and that you did not feel at ease.

Nevertheless we hope you had a save journey home and we would be glad to get another chance to convince you entirely with our service quality.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

The hotel did not live up to the web site. The hotel is dated and needs renovating. We paid for an upgrade on arrival or we would have been on the ground floor and street side. We were under the impression this was 4 to 5 stars. There is no free wi fi in the rooms but you can ask for the key to the smallest ever "business" room. Although the room was clean it is so dark it is not inviting. The breakfast was a good selection including hot buffet but one morning while trying to enjoy our meal they were actually shampooing the carpet!!! The hotel seems to be aimed at business guests which is high turnover and not often repeats. As Australian travellers the staff at the front counter were not very helpful to us when we asked about the tourist attractions and did not know much about the surrounding areas we could drive to visit and there was limited leaflets around. We googled to find things to do! There is car parking next door.

Room Tip: Definitely not on the ground or lower floors due to traffic noise.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FrankChris545
verkauf_wur, Manager at Maritim Hotel Wurzburg, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

Dear „FrankChris545“,

Thank you for taking your time to comment on your recent stay.

Our first class hotel was built in 1984. Therefore it belongs to the senior hotels of our company. Style and furniture are not comparable to each other hotel of our hotel chain. Our highest aim is to make our guest feel comfortable and home. We renovate and refurbish parts of the hotel step by step. Thank you for your appreciation that it takes some time.

The business center including an internet access and a colour printer is promoted by our homepage. To ensure internet access on the rooms, we offer different opportunities of using internet. We are contracted to the charged “Hotspot” of the Deutsche Telekom, which is wireless lan otherwise we offer a cable connection. It’s a pity that you don’t approve our offer for using the internet.

We happily noticed that you remark our rich and diverse breakfast. We are very sorry that you felt disturbed by our staff while you were eating. Each guest should enjoy the breakfast. During our breakfast from 6.30 am to 10.30 am our housekeeping team is only on the spot if someone had a big mishap e.g. something got slopped. The regular mopping up just starts after 10.30 am when the guests have already left. We passed your legitimate complaint on to our responsible employees.

Hospitality and helpfulness are not only catchwords to us but rather lived by us. Thus we truly apologize that our front desk staff missed to care for your wishes. We constantly carry out trainings for employees to ensure that our staff can act capable and obliging in any situation. It’s a shame that the responsible employees did not inform you about the cultural highlights and beautiful sights in Würzburg or even hand out one of our numerous leaflets.
We sat together with our reception staff to discuss this issue to ensure a better service for our guests. Thank you for your reasonable criticism.

We hope you will give us a second chance to convince you with a better service.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

Stayed here as part of a tour. My husband and I ended up on the ground floor almost right behind reception. Not a nice location. Our windows basically opened onto the foot path so we certainly had to make sure we closed the curtains. The hotel needs some updating. You need keys to access your rooms and as our room was on the ground floor there was no security in the hotel. No swipping cards or anything to access the halls in the hotel. The rooms are dated but clean.

The staff were friendly when I asked for a thinker pillow, as you may have not have had a pillow at all they were so thin. They happily said they would send a new one, in the room they said they had a pillow menu. I was hopeful I would get a nice thick pillow. They just provided the same sort of pillow I already had. Even together it was not thick enough. I felt like I was sleeping without a pillow.

Located close to the river, which is very peaceful in the early morning. Only stayed here as part of a tour and did not see much of Wurzburg so can't comment if it is close to sites.

The gluten free bread provided to me at dinner was horrendous. So if you require a gluten free diet don't even think about asking for bread, it's not worth it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RojKohn

Dear “RojKohn”,

Thank you for taking your time to write a review.

The physical integrity of our guests is most important to us. The Maritim Hotel Würzburg is a public building just as any other German hotel. To gain entry into personal and private domains like the swimming pool or rooms, people need to get keys or codes from us. At night we lock the entrance via the underground garage. So everyone entering and leaving the house is seen by our hotel desk clerks who are 24/7 available on our front desk. Anyway our hotel is always in motion. Our service employees at the bar and the restaurants leave late at night together with our cooks. The service staff as well as the housekeeping team start before the sun rises. Therefore the staff is in the hotel around the clock.

We strive to make sure that our guests feel comfortable and well at our hotel. That includes a restful sleep. Even if our staff already offered you another pillow, don’t hesitate to inform us if you are still not satisfied. We are very sorry that our staff missed to cover this issue to your entire satisfaction.

It is our aim to offer our guests rich and outstanding meals as well as regarding special wishes. We are very sorry that the gluten free bread was not to your liking. We pass your criticism through to the executive chef.

We are very happy that you remark the beautiful and peaceful spot where our hotel is located as well as our friendly and helpful staff.

We hope you will visit us again and give us another chance to convince you with a better service.

Reviewed September 15, 2012

I have been itching to write this review but couldn't while staying there, as, what other previous reviewers have stated, there is no free wifi provided. According to another recent reviewer even the pay wifi is poor, so I'm glad I didn't pay for it.
I attended the same conference as Gabe K by the sound of it. I stayed for 7 nights, arrived 2 days before the conference started to do the touristy things first.
I only booked this hotel as it was adjoining the conference centre, had I known one of the other accommodation options was only across the road, I could have gone there instead. This was a clear case of should have read tripadvisor reviews before booking.
I also note that the manager of the hotel appears to faithfully respond to all reviewers on tripadvisor. Well, that's too late, he should be answering to guests' issues while they are staying there, not after they have checked out. If he spent more time responding to complaints maybe he wouldn't need to answer tripadvisor reviewers.
My experience was almost identical to other recent reviews regarding negative aspects:

1. Air conditioning. To be fair, the 3 other hotels I stayed in Germany before the Maritim also had similar (or none available at all) air-con issues, I wonder if it's a German hotel problem overall? There seems to be a sensor in the air-con in the room, it definitely starts up when you close the balcony door (if you have a balcony), but you cannot set it to a temperature you want.
I luckily had a room facing the courtyard but it was still a little noisy to leave my window open at night, it sounds like it was a lot noisier if your window/balcony door faced the street, it is a relatively busy road and road repairs were being done while I stayed there.

2. Every time I opened my door it smelled of cigarettes, but once I closed the door the smell went away, never experienced that before. Another guest from the conference described the same experience as me. There was no cigarette smell in the passageway, only when I opened my door to go in and it was gone once I closed the door, even while I was in the room. Bizarre.

3. No free wifi. The 3 previous hotels I stayed in Germany before this one all had free wifi, were 3 star rated and room nightly rates were significantly cheaper than the Maritim. One was in a smaller town than Würzburg (Aschaffenburg), the other 2 in Frankfurt. The hotel across the road, Hotel Congess am Centrum, proudly advertises on its front entrance that it provides free wifi for its guests, the staff there are obviously aware of a competitive advantage they have over the Maritim. Has the Maritim manager noticed that or has been too busy replying to tripadvisor reviews?

The alternative of using the "business centre" for free internet acess for 30 mins is a joke, it has one PC there, I tried 4 times to use it before I could actually go in there when no one else was using it. Probably one of the tiniest business centres I have seen for a hotel of this size and star rating. I guess most business users are attending the conference centre next door and putting up with its poor wifi performance (not sure if also run by the Maritim, but could be given the wifi networks in the conference centre all had names starting with "maritim"!).

4. Breakfast at €17 is ridiculous. OK, you can eat as much as you want, but I don't want a huge breakfast every day. Perhaps a choice between full & continental breakfast could be offered, or perhaps that is not done in European hotels, from my experiences. The choice of hot food provided was inadequate for the price charged.

5. Laundry service not available over the weekend, not mentioned (or noticed) in the hotel information booklet. I just had enough shirts to last me given my previous week travelling before arrival at Maritim. The reception staff did not mention this to me when I dropped off my laundry on Friday night ( the day I arrived), I was only told Saturday evening when I enquired why it had not yet been delivered when I was expecting it. Again, may not be unusual for Germany, but should be clearly stated in hotel information services.

6. I had room 201, the elevator stops in between floors 1 & 2 so if you get a room on either of those floors you will need to carry your luggage up/down a half flight of stairs, or get a porter to deliver it for you. Again, not a unique experience, the other 3 hotels I stayed in on this trip all also had stairs issues. I believe the top floor also has no direct elevator access, I think a previous reviewer mentioned this.

Now for a few positives, with provisos attached:

1. The swimming pool - I swam there almost every day, it was great and a rarity in European hotels of this size. I had no problem with the door passcode, it was attached to my room key, not sure why a previous reviewer had a problem there - I guess their key did not have a passcode attached?

2. Location - not too far from railway station, I managed to walk there with heavy luggage in 15 mins. Only short walk to old part of town and most tourist sights, including walking along the Stein vineyards on the hill. Plenty of eating options nearby (I did not try any of the Maritim restaurants except for breakfast - and at least one of the hotel restaurants was always closed during my 7 day stay, I think one was initially closed then opened, while another one did the opposite!).

3. Staff in general were pleasant & helpful, but I had the feeling if they knew they couldn't address your problem (like when I complained about no free wifi, or no laundry service on weekend), they played dumb or their English suddenly wasn't as good as it was before.

This has been a necessarily long review and it repeats most things other recent reviewers have noted - that is because it is true. I get the feeling the manager is too focussed on responding to tripadvisor reviews (I look forward to his response to mine....) than addressing guest issues that reviewers are continually complaining about, and not trying to respond to guests while they are staying there. Particularly for the prices charged at the Maritim, we should be getting much more than what is received.
I would NOT stay here again and look forward to other reviews from the conference attendees, I will be surprised if any are very positive they must havestayed at a different hotel!

Room Tip: Do not get a room facing a street - not sure what numbers they are - too noisy to leave window or ba...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank fabsnake
verkauf_wur, Manager at Maritim Hotel Wurzburg, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Dear „fabsnake“,

Thank you for spending your time to give us a straight and detailed feedback.

The satisfaction of our guests has highest priority. We express regret for the internet access which did not work properly during your stay. Of course we noticed that other hotels offer a free wifi. However we are contracted to the charged “Hotspot” of the Deutsche Telekom. Besides this opportunity and the business center at the reception we offer a cable connection in the rooms for 8€/hour or 15€/day to ensure that our guests have different options of using the internet at our hotel.

We make an effort to offer our guests an excellent service at the Maritim Hotel Würzburg. Our air-conditioning is a central controlled one. As you correctly noticed once the windows are closed it turns on. The adjustment is controlled by sensors at the window in each room. The air-conditioning cools to a comfortable temperature at a slow pace. Even though the general controlling of the air-conditioning is realised by the hotel, each guest can choose if they like to switch it on or off during the day. We want to apologize for the inconvenience you had with the air-conditioning.

We are always willing to find the perfect room for every single guest. Regarding the smell when entering the room, we are very sorry. The rooms on the second floor are non-smoking ones. Unfortunately some guest do smoke in these rooms even it is not allowed. This fact could cause the smell. We truly apologize for your bother.

We know that a successful start into the day is often supported by a sufficient breakfast. Therefore we do our best to serve our guests a rich and diverse breakfast together with the will to keep up the high quality of our food. It’s a shame that the price seems not to be appropriate to you. Would you like to reveal which hot food you missed on our breakfast buffet? We are looking forward to your feedback as we try to improve steadily.

Our hotel represents an excellent and comprehensive service including the laundry. In the information map in every room we point out that you get your washed clothes back on the same day when you give them away until 8.30 a.m.. We are really out of conceit with no one informing you at the front desk about the opening hours of our laundry service. We make a formal apology and have already discussed this with our responsible employees.

“Helpfulness” is not only a word for us. For the elevator stops between the 1st and 2nd as well as the 6th floor, our reception staff gladly offers a luggage service as you’ve justly said.

It is important to us that our guests feel welcome and comfortable at our hotel. That requires a helpful, friendly and very obliging service at any time. The behaviour of our employees admits of no excuse. It’s a shame that you felt dump. We will ventilate this topic with those responsible and figure out the problem. We thank you very much for your helpful and reasonable criticism.

We are very grateful and take every criticism seriously. In a house of this size we are dependent on every single employee to act capable and obliging as well as passing on problems and information. It is impossible to react on issues when the information chain is impeded. We need to improve our information flow to guarantee a fast and reliable solution of problems on site. I have a sympathetic ear on every issue as well as I am on my way through the house to get an overview and being present, helpful and supporting in the different departments daily. Much to my regret we did not have the opportunity to meet in person.

Gladly we provide our guests different facilities for recovery. Thus it’s very pleasing that you remarked our gorgeous swimming pool. We are also very happy that you noticed the central location of our house as well as our friendly and helpful staff.

We really hope you will give us a second chance to cut a better figure.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

The hotel is very convenient to the neighboring Congress Centrum conference center.

Problem 1: the air-conditioning is almost nonexistent. They turn it off from 10pm-5pm when most (everyone) is sleeping!! We sweated all night and could not sleep. Opening the window was worse- the traffic noise and tourists kept us awake, even though it cooled off at night. The next morning everyone at the conference had the same bad experience- they were too hot and could not sleep. We complained at the front desk and they said "we will see what we can do". They did nothing! For the following 3 nights we were there the air conditioning was still turned off at 10pm and came on at 5am. We finally bought a $50 fan, which helped some. How can you have a hotel where people are jet lagged and are incapable of sleeping because they want to save a few $$ !!?? Everyone was nodding off during the conference and miserable because of lack of sleep. Upper management should be fired. No way to host a conference. We quit the conference and left a day early it was so uncomfortable.

Problem 2: The Telekom paid wifi is horrible and expensive. Could not detect it in our room on four different wifi devices. Only place it is reliable is the lobby. Drops out constantly on every device used. Nobody should suffer poor internet access in a modern country. Professional people at conferences need extremely reliable access at all times. Very disappointing.

That said, the hotel is clean, and the staff and the food is excellent. The location in the old town is fun and beautiful.

A few small and incremental changes would make this hotel very good or excellent. Given the money they spend on preparing food and training the staff, that should be a relatively small expense for the hotel chain.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the courtyard which will be infinitely more quiet than the rooms facing the roads...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Dear „Gabe K“,

Thank you for taking your time to comment on your recent stay and your honest feedback.

It is our aim to offer our guests a entirely satisfactory service at the Maritim Hotel Würzburg. We truly apologize for the inconvenience you had with the air-conditioning and are very sorry for your sleepless nights. Our air-conditioning is a central controlled installation. We remark that in residential areas it is not allowed to leave the air-conditioning switched on at night because the installation which is placed on the roof, is too loud for the residents.
This subject matter is mutually known to us. For that reason we do offer fans at our reception. It is very sad that you got badly informed by our staff. We sat together with the front office team and discussed that issue that it won’t happen again. We thank you very much for your helpful and reasonable criticism.

It is also to be regretted that the internet access did not work properly in your room that day. In addition to the charged “Hotspot” of the Deutsche Telekom to which we are contracted to, we offer a cable connection in the rooms and the entrance to the business center at the reception. We are sorry that our stuff missed to give you further details regarding options of using the internet access in our hotel.

It is nice to read that you remark the perfect location of our hotel and that you noticed our friendly and helpful staff. Certainly we have passed this on to our employees. We are also happy that you appreciate the food offers.

We hope you will give us a second chance to convince you with a better service.