“Not to be missed!”

Wurzburg Day Tour from Frankfurt
Ranked #1 of 75 things to do in Wurzburg
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: This palace served as the home for Würzburg's powerful prince-bishops during the Enlightenment and is known for its extravagant artistic design and Baroque architecture.
Toronto, Canada
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Not to be missed!”
Reviewed August 16, 2014

The baroque Prince Bishop's Residnez is breathtaking. The 2nd largest al fresco painting is at the top of the magnificent staircase. I could spend hours staring up at it! The other rooms in the palace are beautiful as well and a few have al fresco paintings on the ceiling.

Visited April 2014

29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Nice smaller palace”
Reviewed August 11, 2014

Great access to a smaller size palace and chapel. Took about an hour to tour. Easy walk from center of town.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank FoiledSeattle
nottingham, UK
61 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 80 helpful votes
“Very opulent”
Reviewed August 11, 2014

Well worth a visit an amazing interior and pretty gardens surrounding, very close to the centre of Wurzburg which is great to wander around

Visited August 2014
1 Thank xorg
Portsmouth, England
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Impressive building and sumptuous decor”
Reviewed August 10, 2014

There is lots to see in this historic building not least the pictures and records of its renovation. Rooms are fabulously decorated and furnished and we thoroughly enjoyed our visit. Gardens were also worth visiting. The only downside was that because we were not part of a group there were certain rooms we were not allowed to see. We like to amble around a place by ourselves and make our own discoveries but this meant we missed out. They could alter the arrangements so that everyone could see all the rooms available.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Jackiepcs
houston, texas
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Tiepolo frescoes are breathtaking”
Reviewed August 9, 2014

I am enamored with Tiepolo, and particularly his Continents frescoes painted in the stairhall of Residenz Wurzburg, so when we came to Stuttgart to attend a wedding, I insisted that we take a day to come to Wurzburg so I could see the stairhall frescoes in person. I have stared at photographs of these paintings for so many hours and for so many years that added together, I probably have clocked in at least a week of my life admiring them. But even so, I was unprepared for the beauty of this art in its setting. Climbing the wide stone stair case punctuated with exquisitely carved marble statues, I almost lost my balance and fell because I could only look up and didn't care where my feet were. The quality of this art, its perfect perspective, and the incorporation of three-dimensional elements, give the very real impression that you are looking at horses flying over your head, an American Indian riding an alligator, and Europa sitting next to her bull while "Art" is painting a globe and "Architecture" (in the person of Balthasar Neumann, the architect who designed the Residenz) are looking back at you.

If alone, I could have happily spent several hours in this room, but I went with my husband who speeds through museums, so eventually he dragged me out of the stairhall. The rest of the Residenz is also wonderful, and must be seen, too. But the stairhall is by far the reason to make this trip. Next time I'm going to come by myself so I can stare at it as long as I want!

Also wonderful, the chapel is as ornately decorated as any place I can remember being. Musicians were practicing when we visited and we were sitting quietly enjoying their practice when a very brusk woman stormed into the chapel and made all the visitors leave. We saw no sign indicating that the chapel was closed, and did not understand what she said, but found her to be overbearing and unnecessarily rude. She should go to charm school, but everything else about this visit was so wonderful that even she could not ruin it.

Visited August 2014