“Bad restaurant for steak”

Buergerspital Weinstuben
Ranked #11 of 374 Restaurants in Wurzburg
Cuisines: Bar, Gastropub, Grill, Wine Bar
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 16, 2013

I was fooled by the hype in this restaurant about their dry cured beef so lovingly cured and prepared. They post wonderful descriptions in the menus. So I splurged and ordered the rib eye steak without bone at 33 euro a pop. What the waiter brought was a large chunk of bone with a few scraps of meat clinging to it. This steak was only suitable for a dog. I realized I had been had by a tourist clip joint. There are many fine restaurants in Wurzburg I'm sure, but this is not one of them.
My wife's meal of chicken croquettes was served way before my disappointing event and she had essentially finished before the waiter arrived with my dog bone. We have dined in some of the finest restaurants in Europe, Asia, and North America. This restaurant ranks as one of the greatest frauds in the restaurant business.

5  Thank STURDLEY

Reviewed October 6, 2013

The Burgerspital Weinstuben is divided into three parts. There's a chic wine bar as you enter, a traditional looking eating section and a modern section based on traditional design with pillars and arches and beautifully lit. This is where I ate. I was surprised at other contributors mention of poor or rude service. As a solo diner I find a test of service is the attitude of the waiters when I ask for a table Here I was treated with the greatest of courtesy and given a very nice table. I should mention that tables are well spaced out. I had beef hotpot with a sauce to die for. I asked for bread to mop up every drop and I was surprised to find a 50 cent charge for this on the bill. That must be the German way. For dessert I had a creme brulee but the top was just brown sugar. A real brulee would have been popped under the grill then the melted sugar allowed to cool into a thin toffee lid. The chef ought to check his recipe or change the description.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

This is a nicely situated weinstube/restaurant between the station and the Residenz, in a picturesque courtyard of the historical old folks' home. So, nice ambiance. The food is quite good, with lots of flavour,local specialties and imagination. Alas, the experience is spoiled by the attitude of the staff, who tend to treat customers as tedious distractions from what self-important jobs are clearly more central that service. Also the courtyard is inhabited by smokers so one is at risk if preferring the outside. But this seems true of Germany generally. Why smoking is permitted anywhere on a licensed food premise is beyond me. It also means that the top views over the valley, schools (etc) are liable to be ruined by cigarette or cigar smoke.

So, great ambiance (with reservations as above), brilliance in the kitchen, well-chosen wine list, and a 50/50 chance of being treated like something the cat brought in.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

Upon reading good reviews about this restaurant my extended family and I made our way to this restaurant. Upon arrival we were ignored completely. We are not ignorant tourists and have lived in Germany for a few years. We had to approach the waiters for a table and were them spoken to very rudley in reply. We were eventually shown a table in much disdain and then promptly ignored. Menus were only given when the nearby table had finally finished perusing the menu. We were them left alone for over 45 min. We tried to gain the attention of the staff and in the end we just gave up and left. There are many other nice restaurants within the vicinity.
Don't bother!

4  Thank FoodLover0804
Reviewed April 14, 2013

This is worth a visit if you are in Wurzburg. The quatlity of the food and the service is excellent. They have a great selection of both food and wine. We ate both in the new part and in the old part. The menu is the same but totally different and worth trying both.