“Great experience!!”

Cuisines: German
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed June 18, 2014

Excellent food, service and atmosphere! We had the ribs and cutlet, very, very good. Close to the Kriminal Museum. We will be back!!

Reviewed June 11, 2014

This restaurant had really good food. My husband had steak skewers, and I ribs. I wish I got his meal as my ribs were overdone. If you like them to slide off the bone, do not order them here. We got seated at the front and it sounded really busy in the downstairs area, it made me wonder and want to go down and see what was going on. It wasn't as fun of an atmosphere as I was hoping for, but we got a good meal out it.
Our service wasn't the best since the servers main focus was in the downstairs area.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Exhausted after a long direct flight and three trains to get to Rothenburg, we decided to go to Zur Holl early for dinner. We had a wonderful dinner, and but for wanting to try other highly rated restaurants, we would eat there again. The food was outstanding and the wait staff exceptional. We ate at a side room, and three of the groups had found the place on Tripadvisor. Could not recommend it more highly. A great way to start our visit to Germany, Austria, and Switzerland.

Reviewed April 9, 2014

This tiny place, which is actually larger than it looks at first as there are a couple of additional rooms in the back, serves well-presented comfort food with pride. The owner also runs the Hotel Herrnschlosschen, which is an excellent place to stay nearby, and obviously enjoys being in the hospitality business. The restaurant was full by 7 PM, including a tour group of a dozen who had not booked ahead. It was a weekday, which may have made a difference. In any case, the food was good, the wine pleasant and the atmosphere charming. We cancelled our other restaurant reservation so we could return to Zur Holl on our last night in Rothenburg.

Reviewed March 21, 2014

I always try to stop in to this place when I am in Rothenburg just for the atmosphere - it dates to pre-1000 AD. The owners are always nice and the beer is always good. It's just an incredible place - the lowest, oldest room has a part of a large bellows for its center table. At least stop for a drink.