“Didn't think Hell would be so awesome!”

Zur Holl - Mittelalterliche Trinkstube
Ranked #2 of 115 Restaurants in Rothenburg
Cuisines: German
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Um, yes please! My uncle recommended this establishment, and we were dropped off here at the end of the "Night Watchman Tour". So cute. And PACKED! We were here on a weeknight, the city was absolutly dead, but I guess it was because everyone was in here! Great food, great atmosphere. Slow service, but I've worked a a resturant before and I know they were for sure in the weeds! Didn't upset me concidering we were in no rush to get back to our hotel, and nothing else in the city was open. My brother had the duck, and I had the sausages. Great place to be late at night!

1  Thank Lisa P

Reviewed November 23, 2012

"go to hell" - have a beer and a bowl of soup while you are there :) you can buy beer glasses and t-shirts - just ask the waitress. food and atmosphere are excellent.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

No lie, this is one of the best meals I've had in recent memory. We showed up on a Saturday night in October without reservations and were lucky enough to be seated after a little bit of a wait. The restaurant is in an extremely old Medieval era building, historic even by Rothenburg standards (1100 years old??) and their regional wine selection is epic.

I had the pork, steak and vegetable skewer. My wife had the pork ribs. Both regular items from a very small extremely well curated menu. Everything we ate was perfectly cooked, simply and beautifully presented (the skewer presentation is particularly awesome), and the recommended wine pairings were also good suggestions. The servers went above and beyond, both in terms of customer attention / satisfaction and recommendations. Great attitude, and the clearly love what they do.

I can't recommend this enough. We expected overpriced touristy food in Rothenburg, and were prepared to be underwhelmed. When we finally got the check I felt like we'd underpaid (note: cash only). Probably not the cheapest restaurant you can eat at in Rothenburg, but I doubt you'll find a better bargain or a more memorable experience anywhere.

3  Thank Nick P
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Hotel Herrenschlosschen staff recommended and booked us a table at this restaurant. We were so glad that we went there. The restaurant is small, the tables are quite close to each other. therefore we end up striking conversation with other guest. Eating at this restaurant makes us feel like that we were actually living in a small town during the Middle Ages.( Not the same as the Medieval Time Restaurant in Florida nor Romantic banquet, Just like a commoner having an ordinary meal) The food is delicious. The staff are friendly and helpful. Price is not expensive. Their Zur Holl (To Hell) T shirt and hat makes great souvenir too!.Also check out the wine cellar in the basement too.

2  Thank dennisk32
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We went to this restaurant because of the high trip advisor rating. On Tuesday we arrived at 7 without a reservation and they were completely booked. So we made a reservation for the next day. Wednesday we arrived for our resercation and asked if they accepted credit cards. They do NOT. This surprised me, considering the amount of Americans eating. Low on cash, we opted to eat somewhere that took credit cards.

1  Thank Sprevels