“A complete disappointment!!!!”

Ranked #23 of 116 Restaurants in Rothenburg
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 9, 2014

After an absolute brilliant holiday throughout Austria and Germany, with wonderful food, good manners and hospitality by both hotel and restaurant staff we stayed on our way home in Rothenburg for 2 nights. We were quite excited at visiting this restaurant as I had looked at your website, specifically for restaurants in Rothenburg. At first, as it was a lovely evening we sat in the beergarden, the barmaid came and took our orders for drinks, she was unsmiling, curt and made us feel uncomfortable, on top of that there was a woman, who looked like the landlady, brushing debris from the tables, she came behind us, no words of apology, and swept the table directly behind us, almost pushing our chairs. We decided to move inside as we were eating anyway, we started to look for a table and were almost frogmarched to a table that they picked even though we asked to sit elsewhere. My husband ordered steak and chips which was 24euros and the sauce was an extra 3 or 4 euros on top of it, the steak and sauce were good, the chips adequate as you would of expected for the price, especially as the sauce was extra, I ordered a special potato dish, I chose a dauphonise cheese, cream, garlic and mozzarella one, I knew mozzarella doesn't cook that well, you have to be careful with it or it cooks like chewing gum, but as it was a restaurant known for its 'potato dishes' I thought they would have the expertise in cooking it, I was wrong it was inedible, there were an older couple opposite us that had the potato pizza, it looked completely dry and I could see they were struggling to eat it. The staff in the restaurant never once came over and asked if we were okay, they were unsmiling, curt and unresponsive and considering we had three drinks each on top of the meal thereby spending a lot of money in their establishment, they were what I consider to be the worst experience I have had throughout the 4 times I have visited Germany, this potato house should be taken over by a complete different set of staff, I would never recommend this place to anyone, please do not waste your money by going there!!!!

1  Thank Lindsay R
There are newer reviews for Gasthof Rodertor Restaurant

Reviewed May 20, 2014

The full name of the place is "Gasthof Rödertor mit Rothenburger Kartoffelstube". If you are making the short stroll from the Rothenburg ob der Tauber Bahnhof to the Altstadt (old city), the hotel & restaurant are on your right just before the main gate. Check them out at http://www.roedertor.com/en/restaurant-rothenburg/.
We were drawn into the Biergarten by the "Potato Menu" posted near the street. We were fortunate to enjoy the outdoor seating thanks to the lovely May weather. Our family ordered one of the potato pizzas, the potato cake & ratatouille, and the Franconian bratwurst with potato salad. All were delicious and satisfying. We also sneaked a peek at some other dishes delivered around us; the pork knuckle looked (and smelled) amazing, and the potato soup looks like a must-try if we are fortunate to visit again.
The staff was very friendly and efficient, and our server spoke English (which, in our case, always helps).
By the way, any trip to Bavaria should include plans to spend at least one day in this wonderful town.

1  Thank Dennis_Carvalho_0225
Reviewed March 21, 2014

The assortment of potato dishes is unique. My dinner was very good and the service was attentive. A good evening.

Reviewed February 25, 2014

The food here was very good. It is interesting to see how many different ways potatoes can be prepared.

Reviewed February 19, 2014

We did not stay in this hotel, but we did eat in the Kartoffelstube restaurant and had a great experience! The staff was very friendly, helpful and prompt with all services. The majority of the dishes are made in some way with potatoes (kartoffel; thus, the name). We had the shrimp in garlic sauce for an appetizer and it was amazing! The main courses were a pizza for me and pork medallions for my wife and everything was absolutely fabulous. With an app, main courses, and 4 beverages, our total was about €45, so not bad at all. I would definitely recommend checking out this restaurant.