“Interesting, but just OK” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 4 Tours in Rothenburg
Los Altos, California
126 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 120 helpful votes
“Interesting, but just OK”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2014

I had heard a great deal about the Night Watchman Tour prior to our trip. We gathered with the dozens and dozens of others to go on the tour. The Night Watchman had an "interesting" presentation style. It wasn't as much his accent as his odd cadence in speech. A bit singsongy, low and trailing. It was perhaps more disturbing than alluring. He had gobs of people following him, so I guess it is working. The tour was filled with somewhat interesting facts about historical Rothenburg, with some corny jokes thrown in for good measure. The tour was ultimately fine, just don't get you hopes up too high.

Visited June 2014

Los Angeles, CA
181 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 286 helpful votes
“Not Funny, Not Interesting, Not Worth Our Time”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2014

I realize that this is a minority view here, but my wife and I planned our entire evening around being on time for the English language tour. We returned to Rothenburg early after a drive around to nearby towns, rushed to our 6:15 pm dinner reservation and ate more quickly than we might have, then hurried to the town square to join a rather large group waiting for--THE NIGHT WATCHMAN.

Meanwhile, I did a quick count of the waiting group, multiplied the headcount by 7 Euros and then by 30 days and then by 7 months, figuring that 5 months per year the weather would be too inclement to hold such an evening event. Wow! That's a ton of money, I thought! No wonder this town had more BMWs than a typical street in Beverly Hills (near where I live). And those guys are doctors, lawyers, producers of television shows watched around the world! This is going to be good, I thought.

What proceeded, however, was THE NIGHT WATCHMAN, who showed up wearing a lame period costume and making completely dumb jokes in a weirdly accented voice that, I guess, was supposed to represent olden times or something. As he began to lead the rather large group around mixing small uninteresting facts about Rothenburg with stupid jokes, my wife and I began to realize that this was going to continue to be a complete waste of time. Do so many people hang in there because there's nothing else to do in Rothenburg in the evening what with the stores closed?

But just then, as if a respite came from on high, we passed a church in which an organist was playing beautiful Bach music. My wife and I looked at each other and without saying a word, we dropped off from the group and tried to get into the church to listen. Unfortunately, this was obviously a practice session and the church was closed. Still, we preferred to listen outside to the great German church music. When the practice session concluded, we walked off to the town walls facing west to watch the gorgeous early summer sunset.

To be honest, I would mark this Watchman experience Terrible, not just Poor, except I'm enough of a conformist that I don't want to be the only one. But let me say this, this guy wouldn't even be booked for free at a comedy club in a major city and, yet, here he was making hundreds of thousands per year. It just goes to show: in life, find your niche. Good for him, not so good for the tourists.

Visited May 2014
6 Thank GEDLosAngeles_CA
Des Moines, Iowa
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“A highlight”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2014

We loved the Night Watchman tour. It was informative, well done and funny. Even thought there was a large group of people with us, there was never a problem of being able to hear. We had taken the town walk earlier in the day out of the TI office, which also I would highly recommend, but didn't feel like we were doing the same tour. We had heard it was a great tour and it lived up to our expectations.

East Sandwich, Massachusetts
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Informative and funny”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2014

This tour is so entertaining that the hour feels like about 10 minutes. We are not usually fans of guided tours of any kind, but this was definitely the exception. The guide points out places in Rothenburg and tells the stories of what happened there. His delivery and sense of comedic timing is outstanding. The experience is tongue-in-cheek, not dumbed-down or corny. It is well worth your time and 7 Euros!

Austin, Texas
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 152 helpful votes
“Excellent Old Town Evening Walking Tour!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2014

This one-hour evening walking tour is not to be missed! I've done this twice over the years and the guides who are dressed in period garb are entertaining and informative. You really are taking back centuries ago when you listen and follow this guide.