“Old-world German charm (w/internet :)”

Altfrankische Weinstube
Ranked #19 of 45 Hotels in Rothenburg
Reviewed May 1, 2014

We stayed at this charming hotel only one night. When we walked in, we heard many people raving about the good dinner they were being served. :) :) The owner greeted us right away and helped us carry our luggage to our very very clean and comfortable room upstairs. Even the hallways were decorated beautifully.

There was an immaculately clean, spacious new bathroom with European facilities (tub/handheld shower unit) which we were fine with. Very good water pressure and hot water!! There was a room heater which we did not have to use.

The staff was very kind and accommodating. Our candlelight breakfast was delightful. Everything was fresh and tasty, and served in a lovely way -- coffee was in individual porcelain pots, plenty of flowers on the tables, etc. Very nice!

Sadly, our rental car was making a strange noise so we weren't able to stay longer. We were happy to have stayed here and give it a good recommendation.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 28, 2014

My wife and I were celebrating our fifth wedding anniversary and couldn't have had a more romantic place to stay. Everyone was most helpful and the place is just dreamy. My wife and I dined at the restaurant two nights while we were staying there and they were both delicious and inexpensive. The potato soup is excellent. We also attended the Wednesday evening English club and spent hours talking to Robert, Alex and several others. If you are there on a Wednesday I would highly recommend the English Club.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 22, 2014

We did not stay here but did eat in the restaurant. This is a great introduction to an old-world German restaurant. Very cozy with clearly a very long history, the ambience is unbeatable. Service was attentive, even when it got busy and food was very good for being "pub food". Wine and beer selections were quite good as well. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 19, 2014

We did not stay at the hotel, but we did eat at the restaurant and I'm not exaggerating when I say it was one of my favorite meals I've ever had. The atmosphere in the restaurant is absolutely fabulous. It felt like you were transported back 400 years in time (with access to 3G). The pilsner beer that they have on tap is incredibly tasty and drinkable. Both my wife and I started with the potato soup, and it was delicious, topped with crispy croutons. I had the pork chop with sauerkraut for the main course while my wife had the pork medallions and both were absolutely perfectly cooked and delicious. The service is very friendly and prompt and the restaurant is extremely reasonably priced; I think we paid about €45 for the apps, main courses, and 5 total beverages. I will be returning to this restaurant again as soon as I get the chance!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 21, 2014

This was the experience we were looking for on our trip across Germany. This beautiful little inn was nestled in a walled Medieval town and had all of storybook characteristics we wished for. The room was beautifully appointed and the pub served delicious food. We ate dinner there both nights and never ventured out. (Sounds crazy, but the turkey salad was unbelievable. Also, the portions were huge.) The atmosphere was cozy, and we joined locals at the "English Speaking Club" on Wednesday night and heard some amazing personal stories. We dined by a beautiful fireplace. Nothing could have been more romantic than this setting. The breakfast was a nice variety and plentiful. If there is a drawback, it would be that we had to park outside the city and walk with our bags, which did not negatively impact us, but it is something folks should know. I think keeping all the tourist cars outside the town help to preserve its character, and the walk was not far. Everything is within walking distance in this charming town. Also, while the bathroom was modern and clean, I had a difficult time managing the bathing situation. It is an open bathtub, (no shower walls) with a shower nozzle attachment. I got water everywhere because I am not used to this sort of thing.

Room Tip: We stayed in room number 4 (see pictures). There was no noise from the pub or street, and the furni...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 9, 2014

The hotel is like a inn from the middle ages. It is decorated with hunters theme. The restaurant on the main floor is great for a drink after a days walk in the town. Everyone that work there was friendly and will to help. The room we had (studio 1) was large, comfortable and cozy. The tight stairs up the rooms on the 2nd or higher might be tricky for some with mobility issues. The breakfast good to get you started on a day of walking.
One night we stooped at the restaurant/bar, there were some town regulars that like to visit with the english speaking tourist. Gave us some good information and I think it helps to keep there english up. Great hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lgpanther
Reviewed December 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed here on our honeymoon, and it was one of the most memorable places we stayed during our trip to France and Germany. We were in the Landhaus Studio right up the street from the main building, and it was like an apartment. The doorways were a little short for us (I'm 5'10", husband is 6'2") but it added to the charm - of course people were shorter 600 years ago! And in the living room of the apartment, they even had a Christmas tree set up. We ate at the restaurant once during our stay and it was fantastic. If you can, join the English Conversation Club table on Wednesday nights - was so amazing listening to WWII stories from the German vets at the table, Robert and Alex, and Herman was outgoing and treated all the guests like they were old friends.

Room Tip: Landhaus Studio is not a far walk and it's quite spacious with separate bedroom, living room and...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple