“"Third Time Around" Was still charming”
Review of Pension Elke

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rothenburg
Pension Elke
Ranked #5 of 33 Rothenburg B&B and Inns
Manchester,NH
“"Third Time Around" Was still charming”
Reviewed November 1, 2011

Yes this was our third time to this B&B. As always had a great stay. The breakfast spread is so big at this B&B you have to walk all day to work it off. The rooms are very clean and quite. Room number 7 has a great view of the street below (3rd Floor) you can sit at the open window and watch all the local and tourists going about their business. I have yet to find a B&B in Rothenburg that can beat the Pension Elke rate.Give it a try!

Room Tip: ask for room number 7 if you are traveling with children, it's very large and has a suite.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NH-explorer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Korean first
Carmel, Indiana
Reviewed October 27, 2011

We spent two very enjoyable days on August 28 and 29 at Pension Elke. When we arrived Klaus was very helpful by carrying our bags and finding us a free parking place just across the street from his store. Our room was cozy and quaint and a genuine German experience staying above a storefront in medieval Rothenburg. The large and hearty homemade breakfasts included fresh fruit, meats, salmon, cheeses, cereals, rolls and eggs and were well presented and among the best we had while travelling. We will always remember our visit to Rothenburg ob der Tauber and Pension Elke was a great value.

Bill and Pat
Carmel, IN 46032

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Middletown, Maryland
Reviewed October 20, 2011

Stayed two nights at Pension Elke. Klaus and his father were friendly and helpful hosts. The room, a single, was very clean, fairly spacious and nicely appointed. Internet was available as was wi-fi. The breakfast spread was the best I had in two weeks in Europe, cereals, meats, cheeses, fresh fruit, yogurt, breads, croissants, salmon. Each room had its own appointed breakfast table. Thoroughly enjoyed my stay here and in Rothenburg in general.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed October 6, 2011

We have never stayed in a Pension above a grocery store. Unique and fun. The room was spacious, as was the bathroom (we did note the lack of soap as the other reviewer did, but we travel prepared so no biggie).
Erich Endress a very fit man of a certain age. I couldn't believe it when he grabbed my bag and trotted off up the stairs!
The grocery store was handy for purchasing supplies for next days travel picnic. Klaus is a little sullen, but maybe that is from dealing with all of the Rick Steve's guests. I can imagine that could be wearing, but nevertheless..no excuse.
As all have said, the Nightwatchman's tour not to be missed. We were thinking of skipping it, but Erich said we should hurry to catch it. So glad we did! History with a humorous twist.
Also, not to be missed....walking the wall, the torture museum (surprisingly good), and climbing the tower, and tons of shopping venues.
Finally, this was one of the best breakfasts we have had. We loved having our own pot of coffee to pour at will.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Lubbock, TX
Reviewed September 7, 2011

Spent 2 nights in Rothenburg. Klaus greeting us and immediately took my luggage and showed us to our room across from his grocery store. Up three flights of stairs, we had the whole floor to ourselves. Very clean rooms, comfortable beds, lots of hot water. Breakfast was in the attic above his store, tables set up when we arrived each morning, coffee and juice on the table just waiting for you. Large selection of meats, rolls, hard boiled eggs, musli, fresh fruit. Excellent breakfast. Definitely would recommend staying here!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Delaware
Reviewed September 4, 2011

My wife, 8 year old son and myself stayed here for one night in August 2011. The location, just two blocks from the main square and one house removed from the Markus Tower, is excellent. We were in the front room on the third floor. Expect some street and car noise. Looking out our window provided a wonderful view in every direction. The owners, the Endress family, were very friendly. It seemed like the father ran the guesthouse and the son ran the suprisingly large grocery store on the first floor...quite convenient for guests. Breakfast was quite a spread and Herr Endress had a pitcher of chocolate milk waiting for my son after having mentioning it the night before. Also in my email correspondence with Herr Endress leading up to our visit was positive...my knowing some German helped. Know what...as I write this I realize I'll have to change my initial "4 star" rating to 5 since there's really nothing at all I would change about this place...we really enjoyed it on all counts and hardily endorse it. I paid 85 Euros for one night during the high season. PS...don't miss the Night Watchman's tour. NIce guy, funny, very informative and a bargain at 7 Euros...and yes, it's the same guy you see in the Rick Steves show on Rothenburg.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed September 4, 2011

We have stayed at Pension Elke for two nights. I had rented two rooms for the 3 of us. The rooms were nothing to brag about, but convenient. Consistent with what we expected from the price. Of course this was a tough fallow-up to the excellent Adina hotel we had in Berlin, which was less than 25 Euro more expensive.
The Pension is cute as other TA members described. But there were some small and annoying things from the start: No soap in the bathroom, even though the owner had a store so it really costs him nothing to put one. Internet? Never worked. Wireless or even on the computer next to the lobby. We stopped trying on day 2. Bed was quite comfortable for the category. But the bed did squich every time you turn, which woke the other person. Annoying. Pillows? Ridiculous! It really takes 2 to make an acceptable pillow. Of course it didn't have the AC (tough on the first day that was mad hot) but that was expected from a pension in Rothenburg, so not a surprise.
What really felt short was the customer service, especially after reading this “family affair” on TA, father and son working to maintain hotel and store, etc. Nothing to say about the father who even helped us with the luggage, even though we protested (he's not very young). But Klaus' attitude was between polite and irritated most of the time. I guess it has to do with being stretched between the store downstairs and the hotel. But that's the choice they are making by not hiring addition help. Since they are busy working in the store and there was nobody at the reception, I didn’t feel like going in the store and bothering with questions. Anyways nothing really outstanding happened until check out. I asked to pay for one room and when he presented the bill I noticed I didn't have the Rick Steves discount (you get 10% off when you present Rick Steves' Germany 2011 edition). He saw me multiple times with the book and I had it on the table inches from him when he was writing the bill, so he clearly noticed it, no doubt about it. I asked about the discount. He gave me the silent treatment but went to do another bill and gave it to me quite coldly, without a word. Then 15 min after the third person paid for the other room. This time he did put the 10% discount on but made a mistake on the rates (I think it was a honest mistake). It wasn't a big deal (around 5-7 Euro per night) but given his previous attitude I mentioned it and asked for the rate to be corrected. He then started talking very loud in German, clearly not happy, did throw away the bill, went back to redo another one, and made it even cheaper than I was supposed to pay, mentioning "no problem, I don't care". I wasn't asking for charity, I was asking to be treated correctly and politely. He probably felt caught with his pants down and didn't like it. Anyways, we all felt it wasn't professional, told him that we are not asking for a favor, just to honor the agreement he had with us and with Rick Steves’ readers. He left without saying a word. So did we, flabbergasted about what just happened. It was extremely unpleasant.
One the brighter side: the breakfast was really good, despite the whole buffet being cold, not hot items. True, all breakfasts in Germany are generally very good but this one was even better than the one we had in a 4 star in Fussen.
With so many decent options out there, I can't recommend this Pension, even without the incident at the end. We had visited another Pension for an upcoming trip. It was about 10 Euro more expensive but it looked a lot better, and the service felt warmer. Lots of interesting options in the same price range, so no need to put up with that type of attitude. Maybe Klaus was only having a bad day, but honestly I don’t care and we didn't do anything to deserve such a reaction.
Spend your money elsewhere. Tons of cute options in this picture perfect town.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family