“Excellent location and medieval atmosphere”

Tilman Riemenschneider Hotel
Ranked #20 of 45 Hotels in Rothenburg
Sao Paulo, SP
“Excellent location and medieval atmosphere”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I spent one night staying at this hotel traveling on tour with my family. The city is spectacular and the medieval climate is everywhere. Thus, this hotel is good for this role, because from what I understand it lays in a construction of more than 500 years, with a quaint decor.
The room where I stayed was very neat, clean and comfortable. The hotel staff was attentive. The breakfast was OK.
The strongest point is the hotel's location, right in the heart of the city with good accessibility.
I will definitely return to this city and will stay again at this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank RT_sam_RT

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
528gvtx
Reviewed July 3, 2013

My kids and I stayed here for one night as my best friend said Rothenburg was a MUST SEE. My husband had flown home that day and we were staying two extra nights since we were flying on miles and couldn't get out till then. So instead of staying in Munich, we drove to Rothenburg. It was a very easy drive!!
We arrived around 1pm and were a little early for checkin. But we parked the car in the car park and brought our luggage back to the hotel. I would recommend driving directly to the hotel and unloading, but I was unsure of the narrow streets and driving a standard with everyone watching. So we walked the couple of blocks from the parking lot (5 Euros for 24 hrs) - not recommended in the winter as it's not covered.
When we arrived back with our luggage our room was ready. It was facing the street and had three big windows. We had three twin beds and the room was unusually large. No frig or anything in the room (one of the downsides to a historic hotel); but the bathroom was quite modern and clean. We never had any problems with noise from the street or anything.

The internet access in our room (218) was horrible so we would sit on the couch and chairs in the elevator landing access email. That is my major complaint; but it was easily remedied and hey I'm on vacation - I should not be spending hours on the internet. I just needed a quick access to check email; send a note to my husband that we made it and check with our house sitters. Also of note, the internet was VERY slow. So if you need to work while here - I would suggest another location. If you are just checking in and not spending time online - then this is a great hotel.

Rothenburg was charming as everyone has stated. It is definitely a unique city. We enjoyed our Nightwatchman tour and it was a bargain. Unfortunately there was a band tour going on for high school bands while we were there. It was great to hear them play at the main square, but then when 250+ showed up for the nightwatchman tour it was a little crazy :) Let's just say he made a lot those couple of days that band was there and probably like that all summer since they had a schedule of what bands from which US states were playing.

It was very very cool when we were there on June 26th. The weather was definitely jacket weather and probably a high of the upper 50s. It rained a little here and there, but nothing to dampen our activities.

Overall I would stay here at the Tilman again. It was in a great location just a block from the main square, the staff was very nice and the breakfast was one of the best we had during our 3 week tour through Europe.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Traverse City, Michigan
Reviewed June 3, 2013

When visiting Rothenburg, be sure to stay within the walled city because it truly adds to your overall experience. Even though this medieval village is small, the location of the Tilman Riemenschneider can't be beat. It's right on a main streetm, just beyond one of the inner gates, and only a three minute walk to the town square. The room we had was comfortable and actually fairly spacious with a balcony and nice view over their inner courtyard. The staff could not have been more pleasant and helpful. Once you check in, they immediately recognize and great you warmly every time you enter the lobby.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the rooms with a balcony overlooking their inner courtyard
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I stayed this hotel with friend in one of tour actually few years ago.
There were soooo cute furnitures. Only that, for girls be happy:)
This building looks also with traditional beautiful decorations, I took a lot of pictures.
Location is also good. But accually Rothenburg is really small city, so I think doesn't matter where it is.
One thing, I called to Japan from room 15min, and I had to pay about 70euro.
Maybe it's normal price in like in this small city hotels, but it was so surprised.
Please be careful if you use phone:P

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed February 16, 2013

The hotel is located in the heart of Rothenburg ob der Tauberg, just a few steps from the marktplatz. While this is a very old hotel, the rooms have been renovated with modern bathrooms. Decor exudes old world charm, with antique furniture, wooden carvings and fine paintings. We travelled as a family and had an adjoining room which shared a common balcony although the view was not much to speak of. Our room was of a good size and I love the hand painted furniture. Breakfast was excellent.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 23, 2012

The Hotel Tilman is cute and very Bavarian, and is probably ideal for tourists wanting a short stay (a few nights) in a hotel that epitomizes the Rothenburg experience, especially during the Christmas period. However a few things might bother the more demanding traveller; the wireless Internet access didn't work at all during our stay, and don't expect a mini bar or any of the other things that you would expect from a modern hotel. But this is probably not why you'd choose the Tilman, so enjoy your authentic experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TenRingShanghai
Broussard, Louisiana
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Stayed one night here, very clean and friendly. Very short walk to the Marktplatz shops and restaurants. The hotel is very old, but our room was traditional with a modern bathroom. The very friendly staff helped with luggage and parking our car. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends