“We loved this place!!”
Review of Gastehaus Flemming

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rothenburg
Gastehaus Flemming
Ranked #25 of 35 Rothenburg B&B and Inns
Apple Valley, MN
“We loved this place!!”
Reviewed July 19, 2010

We stayed at the Gastehaus Flemming in 2002 and, again, in July of 2010. We had two rooms this time and both were spotless and nicely decorated. The breakfast is hearty and the grounds are delightful. (See my photos and you will know what I mean.)

The water in the shower was always hot and the water pressure was good. There was a hair dryer to use. The beds were comfortable and the bedding was nice.

You can get water, wine or beer from the fridge on the main floor. Beer was about 1,50 euro, if I remember correctly. There is paper next to the fridge and you just jot down how much you owe and pay when you leave.

Our only complaint would be the street noise. Since you have to keep the windows open (no air conditioning), the street noise can be a bit much at night, although we have had much, much worse noise elsewhere.

Some people have complained about Frau Flemming. She does come off a bit cold and unfriendly but at the end of this most recent visit, she and her husband spent some time talking with us and we saw a very friendly side of her that we hadn't seen before.

NOTE: They don't take credit cards and you probably won't be told this when you book on-line (we weren't.) Prepare to have cash on hand or you will have to run to the ATM in the town square.

SUGGESTION: Take the Night Watchman's tour at 8 pm (in English.) It is WONDERFUL!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank LyndaMN

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed May 7, 2009

This is perfect for Rothenburg. Very simple, very clean, spacious, and a nice German breakfast. We will return here again.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
St. Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed October 22, 2007

We stayed at the Gastehaus Fleming for just one night after having just arrived that morning on an overnight flight. We were on our way to Munich for Oktoberfest and thought we would spend our first day in Rothenburg. We found the inn to be very cute and charming and the location was fairly convenient. We shopped a bit, had a nice dinner, did the night watchman's tour which I highly recommend, and headed back to our room for some much needed sleep. That is when the trouble began. Our room had a slight chill so we tried turning on what appeared to be a radiator. It felt warm to the touch when we turned it on but it must shut itself off automatically. Consequently in the morning our room had a chill again (the blankets were a little thin). Having spent the previous night on the airplane I was really looking forward to a nice hot shower. Imagine my surprise when I found that we had absolutely no hot water. Not even warm water. It was ice cold. We went downstairs to try to find someone to correct the situation but no one was available. Unfortunately, we had planned to take an early train out of Rothenburg so we didn't have many choices. I had to use the handheld shower to wash my hair and basically took a sponge bath. I'm not kidding when I say the water was ice cold. All the linens were a bit threadbare. Breakfast was quite nice and in a very charming little room. The garden in back was quite nice also. If it weren't for the problem with the hot water I would likely recommend this inn. I don't know if the lack of hot water is a regular problem or just bad luck but considering that there was no one available to address the problem, I guess I would not recommend taking that chance.

Stayed September 2007
5 Thank AverageAmerican
Marietta, Ohio
Reviewed November 13, 2006

After reading the reviews here we booked Gastehaus Flemming for two nights. I think the first night we were the only ones there and I felt as if we were a total aggravation to the owner. When she answered the door I received a fairly curt greeting and was shown to the room. No instructions or advice of any kind. I did ask for a restaurant recommendation. She told me the name of one with no details and turned around and walked out of the room. After taking our luggage to the room we realized that there was quite a bit of street noise. I wasn't even sure how to get in touch with her so I went back outside and rang the bell again. I asked her if we could get a room in the back and she sighed visibly. Then she got a key and showed us another room. My friend had sat on the bed in the first room for a minute. When she saw the bed was slightly wrinkled she sighed again and made a big show of fluffing up the bed.

We agreed upon 9:30 for breakfast. The second morning we were there we went downstairs about 9:15 - when she came down at 9:25 she appeared disturbed that we were already there. Looked at her watch and said something under her breath in an unfriendly tone.

The room was very clean and the beds were comfortable. The breakfast was good. Maybe she was having a bad day but I honestly felt as if she would have preferred not having us there. Also the location is great - and a good value at 57 euros.

Pam

• Liked — Cleanliness, location, breakfast
  • Disliked — Unfriendly owner
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank Pam1951
Vancouver Island
Reviewed September 3, 2006

We were very pleased to find this lovely gastehaus in Rothenburg. The gastehaus was newly remodelled, very clean, and tastefully decorated. Out the back, was a gorgeous private garden. The price was very reasonable...$45Euros. In the morning, we were served a delicious breakfast.

• Liked — The rooms were very clean and the owners friendly
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 26, 2006

This cute family-run guesthouse is conveniently located within walking distance on a side street behind St. Jakob’s Church. The 7 room inn is newly renovated and is decorated with quaint German décor. A cold cut breakfast with tea or coffee is included and is served on dainty tea set and dishes in the mini breakfast room. The inn is basic and clean, but what made our stay memorable is the warm welcome from the lady who ran the inn. Since we arrived during Easter weekend, chocolate Easter chicks were left by our bedside giving a personal touch. Although there is no room service, there is a self serve fridge on the first floor where you can purchase bottle water, wine, beer, soft drinks for a really cheap. The only complaint about our room was it was on the second floor facing the small but main street which meant we could hear pedestrians and cars passing by. I would recommend requesting one of the rooms facing the small garden in the back of the inn.
If you are accustomed to big chain hotels with American size rooms and bathrooms this hotel may be a disappointment (the shower is standing room only). But for those who want a different experience in a German home with the comforts of daily room cleaning and breakfast served, then this guesthouse will be perfect. An added bonus, the savings in accommodation! For a double occupancy with bath, shower, and tv, is only 55EUR.

4 Thank i_love_travelling88