“Delightful, quiet, great value”
Review of Gastehaus Flemming

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rothenburg
Gastehaus Flemming
Ranked #22 of 33 Rothenburg B&B and Inns
St. George, Utah
“Delightful, quiet, great value”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

We stayed two nights and were delighted with the room and the service. Regina was most gracious, and the breakfast was wonderful. Even better, the back yard of the gastehaus was a garden where we were able to sit and read and enjoy the birds when we weren't out and about.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RGinSG

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Decatur
Reviewed June 19, 2012

This was our second stay, the first one was in 2002. We stayed three nights this time. The room was large, clean and pleasant. It overlooked a main entry street into Rothenburg. As such it was rather noisy, even at night. A group of people called looking for rooms at 3:40 in the morning! Breakfast was cereal, yoghurt, rolls, cold cuts and jelly, nothing special but plentiful.

Frau flemming was very pleasant and efficient. I don't really understand previous reviewers as I noticed she was very friendly with her customers and made conversation. I think she was a little shy if German is not your native language.

Parking is a bit of a problem. You now have to pay for parking near the Klingentor or in Shrunnplatz. If I were to stay in Rothenburg again I'd find a place on the plats or with parking. We were able to park outside on the street for an hour without charge.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BritChris95
Sandy, Utah, United States
Reviewed February 28, 2012

While living in Frankfurt, Germany for nearly 2.5 years, we often visited Rothenburg ob der Tauber. Whenever we did we always stayed in this bed & breakfast (guest house). We found Ms. Flemming, who operated it, to be friendly and fair. It was always clean and reasonably priced. We have recommended it to others based on our many positive experiences.

We loved the location within the old city walls, the fact the house was originally built in about 1200 (of course, upgraded several times, including recently), we could park there and walk all over the city, the food, etc.

Anyone can have a bad day and the reason I am adding my review is that often it is those who have bad experiences or attitudes who write and those of us who have the expected good experience don't. So add our review to the very satisfied.

Please note the date of our trip is incorrect because our several trips were before the oldest date in the pull down menu.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Trudy A
Reviewed June 7, 2011

Wonderful location inside the wall by Klingentor and very quiet if you get a garden side room. Ms Flemming was easy to deal with by email and answered promptly. When we arrived w/ our 2 kids she had a lovely family room ready for us. The cheap drinks in the fridge downstairs were a great deal. The breakfast lacked variety-no cereal or muesli and no whole grain brotchen or decent fruit but the price was comparable to the OK breakfast. It seemed to be a hassle for her to let us bring breakfast upstairs when the kids slept in and then she seemed to be frustrated with us when we didn't leave till noon and she didn't get to clean! But in good Bavarian style she ran a tight ship and things were spotless w/ a lovely backyard garden. We might go back again. Maybe since we stayed 5 nights we got on her nerves! It would have been perfect if there had just been a few more smiles!

• Stayed June 2011
3 Thank JungfrauDoc
Apple Valley, MN
Reviewed July 19, 2010

We stayed at the Gastehaus Flemming in 2002 and, again, in July of 2010. We had two rooms this time and both were spotless and nicely decorated. The breakfast is hearty and the grounds are delightful. (See my photos and you will know what I mean.)

The water in the shower was always hot and the water pressure was good. There was a hair dryer to use. The beds were comfortable and the bedding was nice.

You can get water, wine or beer from the fridge on the main floor. Beer was about 1,50 euro, if I remember correctly. There is paper next to the fridge and you just jot down how much you owe and pay when you leave.

Our only complaint would be the street noise. Since you have to keep the windows open (no air conditioning), the street noise can be a bit much at night, although we have had much, much worse noise elsewhere.

Some people have complained about Frau Flemming. She does come off a bit cold and unfriendly but at the end of this most recent visit, she and her husband spent some time talking with us and we saw a very friendly side of her that we hadn't seen before.

NOTE: They don't take credit cards and you probably won't be told this when you book on-line (we weren't.) Prepare to have cash on hand or you will have to run to the ATM in the town square.

SUGGESTION: Take the Night Watchman's tour at 8 pm (in English.) It is WONDERFUL!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank LyndaMN
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed May 7, 2009

This is perfect for Rothenburg. Very simple, very clean, spacious, and a nice German breakfast. We will return here again.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
St. Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed October 22, 2007

We stayed at the Gastehaus Fleming for just one night after having just arrived that morning on an overnight flight. We were on our way to Munich for Oktoberfest and thought we would spend our first day in Rothenburg. We found the inn to be very cute and charming and the location was fairly convenient. We shopped a bit, had a nice dinner, did the night watchman's tour which I highly recommend, and headed back to our room for some much needed sleep. That is when the trouble began. Our room had a slight chill so we tried turning on what appeared to be a radiator. It felt warm to the touch when we turned it on but it must shut itself off automatically. Consequently in the morning our room had a chill again (the blankets were a little thin). Having spent the previous night on the airplane I was really looking forward to a nice hot shower. Imagine my surprise when I found that we had absolutely no hot water. Not even warm water. It was ice cold. We went downstairs to try to find someone to correct the situation but no one was available. Unfortunately, we had planned to take an early train out of Rothenburg so we didn't have many choices. I had to use the handheld shower to wash my hair and basically took a sponge bath. I'm not kidding when I say the water was ice cold. All the linens were a bit threadbare. Breakfast was quite nice and in a very charming little room. The garden in back was quite nice also. If it weren't for the problem with the hot water I would likely recommend this inn. I don't know if the lack of hot water is a regular problem or just bad luck but considering that there was no one available to address the problem, I guess I would not recommend taking that chance.

Stayed September 2007