“Charming Hotel inside the Walls!”

Prinzhotel Rothenburg
Ranked #22 of 46 Hotels in Rothenburg
Westlake Village, California
“Charming Hotel inside the Walls!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

Loved this hotel & the view from my room of the medieval walls. One caveat is that you will hear people walking the walls until pretty late at night so if you're a stickler about your sleep, make sure to ask for a room that is not near the wall.

Room Tip: Take care to ask for a room away from the walls if you don't want to hear the tourists walking a...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Ernest_Kraft, Inhaber at Prinzhotel Rothenburg, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear docdaura,

Thank you for such a charming and positive comment on the Prinzhotel Rothenburg. We hope that you will be visiting us soon again. Also something new for your precious sleep topic - our new lift is so quiet - you could fall asleep in it - if it would not be so much faster than the old one.

I remain with best regards
Ernest Kraft

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Groningen, The Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

I was looking for a relaxing getaway. They are in the process of replacing the lift. Bad combination. I understand it has to be done, but do the workers need to start drilling at 9am? And did they really need to put me in a room right next to the lift when I asked for a quiet room?

Also, there is no safe, no free wi-fi, the breakfast was picked over by massive amounts of tour groups first thing in the morning (and not replenished) and there was no mention of any possible extra services like breakfast in the room, having dinner sent up from the restaurant, etc.

Definitely not worth the price.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank emmaleeann
Ernest_Kraft, Inhaber at Prinzhotel Rothenburg, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear emmaleeann,

Thank you very much for your comments. Yes, it true we have installed a gorgeous new lift which performs to the latest security standards (two way telephone line to security office) and now fully operates right during the night – which means so much more comfort for our guests.

You requested a quiet room with a view, which has been allocated to you on the top floor which is one of my favourite rooms. It is certainly not right next to the lift. Workers start normally at 8 a.m. but for the convenience of our guests start later at 9 a.m.

A free safe is provided in reception. We provide a powerful and very fast WiFi network throughout the Prinzhotel, which is very costly to install, maintain and develop – therefore allow us a very moderate charge. We leave amateurish WiFi at low bandwidth which does not function everywhere to other hotels, who try to lure guests with a free lousy internet connection (But, isn’t it great - it is free…!)

We don’t know what happened at breakfast time, but you obviously must have helped yourself from the wrong buffet – the group buffet! Especially for our individual guests, we have built an own nice breakfast buffet section, providing the ease and comfort of a leisurely breakfast experience – some call it the best in town.

Sorry, if you come again, we invite you for free breakfast at the right buffet section. Of course, we do room service from our delightful dishes in the Topinambur restaurant, or breakfast. We waited for your call, but you never rang;-)

We look forward to serve you a late free breakfast… even in your room.
I remain with best regards,
Brasilia, DF
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

Driving on the Romantic Road, my husband and I had chosen Rothemburg to stop. We had booked beforehand Prinzhotel Rothenburg; however, as I had to book 7 hotels for this trip, my main concern was location. I didn't have time to read all the reviews about each hotel. Unfortunately! Almost reaching the hotel in Rothenburg, I read some reviews about this hotel, mainly the response of the hotel's manager to many reviews and I was not amused. Anyway, I told my husband: the hotel was already paid, let's stay there.
The hotel has an excellent location right next to the historical town wall. The parking is very limited, but in the street in front of the hotel and obviously free. When we arrived in the hotel around 1 pm, the cordial receptionist informed us that the check in is only allowed after 3 pm. Ok, we told her that we only wanted to park the car and go out to have lunch. We asked her about where the allowed place to park is and she politely asked her colleague to show us the place. Very nice! After 3 pm, we came back and went to our room. Very spacious room, spotlessly clean, bed and pillows very comfy and a fridge was a good plus. Good sized flat tv, nice double glazed windows, so no external noise. The elevator was very useful.
Internet, we paid £12/day (one device).
Our breakfast(continental) was included in our rate, but when we arrived in the breakfast room, another employee told us: your breakfast only includes (pointing): coffee or tea, juice, bread and butter. If you want something else, you have to pay €7,50 each. And if you want espresso or hot chocolate, you have to pay more. For me, the way it was done in front of everyone, I think, was a little rude.
By the way, about the response of the hotel's manager to many reviews, you can have a clue about what you will face. I always choose my hotels through a hotel review site and I'm very happy with their commitment and responsibility to the customers and it has made me travel more and more, and with peace of mind. Because of this, I have no words to say thank you to all those virtual travel agencies and all the people that spend their time writing travel reviews in order to inform everybody about the hotels and places they will book and stay.
Because of the some negative hotel reviews, in which the hotel manager responded disrespectfully; for sure, we will never go back again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Sandra700
Ernest_Kraft, Inhaber at Prinzhotel Rothenburg, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear Sandra700,

Thank you for your very good rating of our Prinzhotel Rothenburg.
You confirm what the big majority of other guests say about us - and I am thankful for your length of your qualified comment.

Sorry that you do not like my answering style. Every other guest has an own story and background to his stay with us and you (fortunately) do not know the whole story. Depending on the calibre of how I am spoken to, I then will reply adequately and call a spade a spade.

Bearing in mind that you have been very content with us I find it strange that you tend not to return. Would you rather appreciate a not honest and trivial “I love you all” answer.

I think my customers deserve a clear and personal answer, rather than to hide behind flowery phrased marketing wish-wash.

I remain with best regards,
Cape Coral, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

I emailed to say I wanted a bigger room which is 5 1/2 months in advance of our September arrival and the response from Denise Hoffman was that no amendment can be made. REALLY?? I don't want a refund--- I want to spend more money and they don't want it??? REALLY ?? Come on Ernst.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank llsimms
Dear llsimms,
Your straight and funny comment made me really SMILE :-)

Sorry for appearing so inflexible at a first glance, this is not at all our style. You did everything right booking over our OWN HOMEPAGE. The fault is on us! Sometimes Denise sees things in black and white only - but we are working on the grey shades in-between.
Anyway, with your permission we will give you a FREE UPGRADE into the superior category and look very much forward to welcome you here in the Prinzhotel Rothenburg.

I remain with best regards... and it is Ernest actually!
London, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

This is a nice modern hotel right next to the city walls, conveniently located only a short walk from the centre of town.

On arrival our GPS wanted to send us through a medieval gate but we hesitated because it looked as bit like it was pedestrianised and took another direction. However the fact is that you can pretty much drive anywhere. It is fabulous to drive through medieval gates and streets.

We had a simple but pleasant double room. A little utilitarian, but perfectly acceptable. The hotel had parking spaces which were full by the time we arrived, however we parked along the city wall where there was lots of space and was only about twenty feet further away in any case.

We had a nice view of the medieval castle walls. Needles to say we weren't in town to spend much time in the hotel room. The town is spectacular. We would recommend the night watchman tour which was highly entertaining and only 7 Euros each.

We had some drinks and snacks at the hotel bar, which was pleasant. Process seemed OK for such a touristy destination. Cocktails were around 8 Euros.

Check in/out was evident and all the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful.

A good hotel with pleasant but not spectacular rooms. Fantastic location.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Ernest_Kraft, Inhaber at Prinzhotel Rothenburg, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear MarcusLondon,

We describe the very special technique driving through our mighty Roeder Tower gate on our official Prinzhotel website under contact/location. Read it to become an expert “mediaeval” driver.

Thank you for visiting our cockailbar TopinamBAR. Next time plan to eat in our restaurant Topinambur – which develops to the new restaurant tipp of Rothenburg.

Best regards,
Campo Grande, Mato Grosso do Sul, Brazil
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

Good hotel, although basic. The reception fumbled on our check-in, saying they had received a cancellation we haven't done. Fortunately, despite their obvious error, we were accommodated.

In three of the nights we were there, people woke us during the night, talking loudly and making noise. Although the rooms were clean, the reception was quite dirty, apparently under renovation.

On the second day, a girl, quite dowdy, informed us that our breakfast was continental and that, therefore, we should not serve certain items. I told her I had already served and was about to tell her that I would rather pay the remaining days, to have the full breakfast, but she rudely told me: "ok, now stay with this dish, but serve those itens no more, please. "

In the end, the village was beautiful and we had good experiences in other places, but I came with the sensation that germans are far behind french people when it comes to education, organization and civility.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank J_O_Jankowsky
Ernest_Kraft, Manager at Prinzhotel Rothenburg, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Mr. Jankowsky,

Thank you for the information regarding your stay.

What puzzles us is, that you have been joking with the reception staff and had daily contact without appearing bothered, so if there would have been serious problems - you could have relayed them easily - which you did not. Under these circumstances I find it hard to write a full reply to you.

With breakfast I have to warn everybody who books over third party agencies, or OTA's that there is sometimes a clear break in their content truth. This means that they, despite knowing that breakfast is NOT included, the guest receives from them the information that it is! On the other hand, our rate agreement which have been given to them does NOT INCLUDE breakfast.- We have drawn this to their attention - sadly with no results!!

I therefore recommend strongly to book direct over our own official Prinzhotel Rothenburg website which is easy and clear and secure SSL onepage booking standard. Also from Brazil this is possible.

Here you have a 100% guarantee that all booked services by you are actually rendered with no hick-ups and a big smile.

It always annoys me if we get the blame because of someone else’s fault - not to say incapability.

I remain with best regards
Barrie, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

I liked this modern hotel, new rooms, new washrooms, but still in an big old wood framed house.
Good breakfast, walk to the market square takes like 5 minutes. The townwall to walk on is just next to the house. (This might require you to close the curtains, as some ppl might look at your room, while walking the old town wall.)
Parking situation can be tricky, ask at the front desk, so you dont get towed away.
No a/c; but wifi
Good price.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Ernest_Kraft, Inhaber at Prinzhotel Rothenburg, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear germanytraveler 007,

Wow, a full house rating! Thank you very much that we did everything right for you.

Our very close location to the town wall was described very well by you. But that goes for both sides: Of course also YOU can watch people going by.. ;-)

As for a/c. I think you a hinting at summertime. Our restaurant Topinambur and conference rooms are with full a/c. You do not find airconditioned hotel rooms in Rothenburg.

Looking forward to see you back in summertime in the Prinzhotel Rothenburg, I remain with best regards.