“Wonderful Hotel--centrally located”

Hotel Reichskuchenmeister
Ranked #8 of 45 Hotels in Rothenburg
Reviewed November 26, 2006

This hotel was simply wonderful! Went for Thanksgiving (American holiday at the end of November for our European friends) with family of 4. They accomodated all of us (plus the dog) in a great single room in the annex (about 50m from main hotel). Ancient building by American standards, but had been completely restored on inside so it looked only a few years old (even had a modern elevator).
The hotel is in an outstanding location....about 100m from the market square, no more than 1/4 mile from practically every major sight inside the walls of the city, and the cathedral is right next door.
Excellent "wine bar" in hotel that got lively after 8:00pm (in a good way) with a varied crowd (mostly middle-age people, but a few younger folks). This was a great place to have a couple drinks after dinner as much of the town is closed after 6:00pm.
Best part was the hotel's resturant! My wife and I usually like to venture out and try different culinary experiences, but we ended up eating all 5 meals at this resturant...and enjoyed every single one.
We'll be staying in this hotel everytime we return to Rothenburg!

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
5  Thank Expat-in-Germany
There are newer reviews for Hotel Reichskuchenmeister

Reviewed November 6, 2006

My husband and I ate at this very charming restaurant in October 2006. The atmosphere was very german, and very clean. I had the breast of duck and absolutely the best au gratin potatoes I have ever eaten! I have looked for this recipe on line with no luck. My husband had the filet with mediterranean vegetables which was equally as good. Afterwards we did the Night Watchman tour.. not to be missed!! We would definitely return to Rothenburg and this restaurant.

Stayed: October 2006
4  Thank lschmitt
Reviewed December 1, 2005

This is the 2nd year in a row I have stayed at this hotel. Things went a lot better last year than this year.
I originally requested a triple room but called back later to change that to a triple room plus a double room. I got one of my German coworkers to actually call for me so there would be no confusion with the change. I had actually emailed them multiple times before calling but had never received a reply.
When myself, my parents, and 2 siblings arrived at the hotel we were told they only had a triple room for us. They lady who assisted us was pretty rude and after much confusion we ended up with 2 "holiday flats" which were more than big enough for us. I couldn't understand why she had made such a fuss since they obviously had room for us.
The next day when I went to check-out I tried to use my VAT form and the same lady told me it was "not possible"! After telling her that I had used one the year before it magically became possible for me to use it.
There is much to be desired in the customer service of this hotel. The rooms were fine but like others have said, make sure you bring your toiletries. I also have no complaints about the breakfast. It's typical German style. The location is excellent though and is the main reason I will probably return to this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2005
5  Thank crisfan
Reviewed September 19, 2005

So we wanted to stay at the most touristy town along the Romantic Road and chose this place because it was recommended in Fodor's Germany 2005 guide book. Location is excellent since it's inside the walled-off city. But I have to say I"m not impressed. It's definitely understaffed. Our room's furnishings was old and dingy. Our junior suite was above the restaurant (not good because you'll smell smoke and grease). People stayed until 10pm so it's noisy. There's no A/C but you still need to open up the window to get rid of that musty smell in the room. The bathroom was nice, but bring your toiletries. They only provide hand soap. The breakfast included was little to be desire...I'd rather eat at Deny's. What can I say, I ddin't find this hotel impressive and for the price, it's not worth it. Oh, and watch out for all those fruit flies in the restaurant.

5  Thank Frederick B
Reviewed September 5, 2005

I spent 2 nights in the hotel.
I got a little lost getting to the hotel from the train station and stopped in the tourist office to get my bearings. The hotel is only 20 meters from the tourist office, and only about 25 meters from the main town square.
The staff is very friendly and they showed me where everything was located and then showed me to my room on the 2nd floor.
The room was nicely furnished with a large armour, a writing desk, cable tv, large bath tub and a personal safebox.
The breakfast buffet is nicely stocked and varied.
There is a whirlpool in the building as well near the elevator.
The staff was always friendly and helpful to me.

• Stayed: April 2005
6  Thank peterodl
A TripAdvisor Member
Seoul, SouthKorea
Reviewed July 20, 2004

I am surprised at all these great reviews. The hotel was very average, rather poor for the value. Rather expensive for what they were, which was just very basic, exceptionally dark rooms. and Most of all, Staffs are very rude and unfriendly. I had a poor breakfast. There are always overflowing with group team. You can't reserve any special care from hotel. I will not recommand this hotel to anybody. Rothenburg was fantastic though.

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 7, 2004

I thought this hotel was in a good location, and was a nice place to stay. The decor of the hotel is very comfortable and makes you feel like you are somewhere special. I liked the wine bar and the restaurant. The room was okay, some of the light bulbs were out in the fixtures, and the room could have used a little makeover, but it was comfortable and had a nice few from the window. Overall, it s the location and downstairs lobby and restaurants décor that makes this hotel special. I would recommend it, just don t expect your hotel room to feel new.

4  Thank malyko