“Wonderful hosts, Delicious and Generous meals”
Review of Goldenes Lamm

Goldenes Lamm
Ranked #84 of 114 Restaurants in Rothenburg
Melbourne
“Wonderful hosts, Delicious and Generous meals”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

What a wonderful time we had here, and the food was super. I think we may have even been the Aussies the previous reviewer mentioned. There were 5 of us adults and we kept returning to the Goldenes Lamm as the menu had such a fabulous selection and no other menus we read interested all of us at the same time. We were so welcomed and the service was friendly without being invasive. On one occasion one of our party just wanted "comfort food", chicken nuggets and chips from the kids menu. No Problem! Chicken nuggets and fries for the grown up served with a big stein of beer. Between us all we tried the Schnitzels (different kinds), soups, sausages (different types of sausages to try in the same meal), an egg salad for one of us who wanted to eat light! HAHA! it was SOOOOOO enormous we were in stitches at her reaction when she saw it, and the best meal I had on our WHOLE trip, the Franconian roast shoulder of pork. I am not the best photographer but it was absolutely FABULOUS, wish I had the recipe...
We did love the atmosphere, the food, the owners and our conversations with them. Everything was just so easy and relaxed. It really made the Roth O.D Tauber leg of the trip extra special. They have accommodation as well and if we go again we would certainly look at staying here, 1 service, 2 right on the town sq.

• Visited March 2013

Langley City, Canada
“Decent Food, AMAZING People”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

We had dinner at here March 29, 2013. It was freezing and snowing outside and we were wandering the street looking for a restaurant that served a veal schnitzel instead of pork (we'd yet to enjoy veal and the trip was coming to an end) and we finally found it here, which is why we went in. The restaurant had many people who seemed like locals, but we learned later on were repeat visitors, returning because they loved the owners and service as much as we did. Overall in Germany we found most waitstaff to be rather neutral - take your order, bring your food, no plesantries or lingering. But the owner, who also served us, was kind and bubbly and friendly and making jokes. We really enjoyed this sense of welcome and belonging.

Following our meal, he came over and talked to us, about where we were from (Canada) and what is was like here. We got into a great conversation with him and his wife about what it was like to live in Germany, but not be of German decent, and multiculturalism in western Canada. It was one of the most amazing conversations we had on our whole trip. They were some of the nicest and most welcoming people we met and this made our already wonderful time in Rothenburg even more special. While we were chatting, a group from Australia came in and made themselves at home - told us they were hear for the third night in a row because of how much they loved it and chatting with the owners. Maybe not everyone is looking for this from their dining experience, but it was perfect for us.

My husband said his beer was the best of the trip (which is a lot after 2 weeks in Bavaria) and the veal schnitzel was amazing. French fries are french fries - sorry "germany," but I don't think we had "good" French fries once in 2 weeks, so I can't hold that against anyone. But regardless of previous negative reviews, I still think it is worth going, saying hello to the owners and having a wonderful evening.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank lysmekah
ericl1098
“There are much better places to eat in Rothenburg”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We arrived at Rothenburg late on a Wedneday night and the closest restaurant that was open was Goldenes Lamm.

The positive - the restaurant was in a wonderful location right on the Markt.

The negative - subpar food quality, over priced, and poor service.

First impression got us off to a poor start. When we arrived, we waited for almost 10 minutes for a waiter to greet us because he was sitting at a table inside and needed to finish smoking his cigarette. Once he took our order, it took about 10-15 minutes for our drinks to arrive.

As for food, I ordered a traditional Schnitzel plate and asked for spaetzle, but instead of getting the spaetzle it was served with Pommes (fries). The Schnitzel was very greasy, and I didn't enjoy the meal at all. My wife ordered Jagerschnitzel, and her meal was average.

Overall, I would suggest trying a different restaurant when you are in Rothenburg because food was not good and service was bad. It was definitely not worth the money!

• Visited December 2012
Melbourne
“average food in a pretty spot, shame about the service”
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Ate here last week. I wanted to try the top rating TA restaurants but at the same time I wanted some atmosphere and people around. The top rating ones were empty so to the Goldenes Lamm we went.

I was so unimpressed by the service. The pretty much annoyed the hell out of me from the moment we sat down. I do not like being constantly asked what I want to drink when I have not even sat down yet and of course not even seen a menu! Three different people paraded to ask about drinks within 1 minute. When I said, I would like to decide on my food first and then decide what kind of drink I was given the dirtiest of looks like I was some kind of pond scum that crawled to the surface.

The food - given that this was obviously a "tourist trap" of a restaurant, the food was actually ok.
Two people chose the schnitzel veiner art and this was nicely cooked and a decent size. The kids version of the meal also good. The adult one comes with a side salad which was interesting. I ordered the schnitzel jager art with spaetzle (because i love these kind of German pasta). The meat with mushrooms was served in a nice creamy sauce but for some weird reason the spaetzle were on the side and not served in the sauces which is what I am used to but i rectified it by mixing it up. It was quite tasty and I was happy. It would be nice if this was served in a small ceramic pot or something like that instead of a plate and if it was a bit warmer, otherwise nice.

I had a glass of the house white wine - they dont list wine on the menu but you can get it. It was very nice, I think a Moselle or something similar, light and fruity.

Apart from the bad attitude of the waiters I dont mind this place.

• Visited June 2012
Liberty, Maine, USA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Poorly Done”
Reviewed January 1, 2012

The town of Rothenburg was idyllic with a fresh snowfall. We entered the Goldenes Lamm with the hopes of a fine dinner as the prices would suggest. The meals my wife and I ordered were lacking any display or effort. My Snitzel was covered in a sauce making any meat barely detectable. My wife had Sauerbraten which was cold and bland.
Guests at a neighboring table sent food back and echoed my sentiments that the meals were poorly presented and prepared.
Save your money and avoid this restaurant at all costs.

• Visited December 2011