“Perfect Property”

Romantik Hotel Markusturm
Ranked #3 of 45 Hotels in Rothenburg
Reviewed May 12, 2014

The Romantik Hotel Markusturm is a perfect little hotel in an absolutely gorgeous city! The receptionist Andrea was very kind and gave recommendations for dinner and the area. The room was clean and comfortable! With breakfast available in the morning, and being right in the center of the city I would highly recommend staying at this wonderful property.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brittney H
There are newer reviews for Romantik Hotel Markusturm

Reviewed May 11, 2014

It is in a great location for sightseeing around town and and the rooms were very comfortable. It was wonderfully decorated with antiques and gave your overall stay in the historic town of Rothenberg an authentic feel. The staff was very helpful and accommodating.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Linda S
Reviewed May 9, 2014

Staying here now for second day. Ideally located on an entry gate to the central wall. No air conditioning, but the windows open and the weather is pleasant. The entire staff is cheerful. Two rooms overlook the gateway and are noisy, but other rooms can be selected further back. Room does not have shower but has a large tub with a shower head. Room has free Wi Fi. Breakfast is weak in variety of selection, but it may have been an off day. made to order scrambled and boiled eggs are available.
Travel on single lane roads inside the walled city is intimidating, but patience pays off in awaiting the oncoming traffic to clear the gates.

Room Tip: Room 103 faces on the front of the hotel and should be avoided if people noises are an issue.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 4, 2014

A fine choice as a base for exploring the historic town of Rothenburg, the Markusturm is right in the centre. Our room (107) was very comfortable with period furnishings, the bathroom having modern and tasteful fittings, including a shower over bath. Both dinner and breakfast were very good with attentive service, good choice of German offerings on the dining menu.
The hotel oozes character in it's historic setting. Very difficult to see a better choice in Rothenburg.
Incidentally, we neither had any noise problems nor saw any renovation work during our stay end of April, as reported in other reviews.
Valet parking is available.

Room Tip: Room 107 is very spacious with comfortable period furnishings and tasteful decoration. A sofa and ea...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 31, 2014

I will start with the positives. We really liked that you are given the option to hand pick your room (from the available ones left). The front desk girl was very friendly and spoke excellent english. The hotel itself could be a museum and it has a rich history dating back to 1264 (wow). Breakfast was great with tons of options. Now to the part that soured the whole experience. The hotel is fixing up its garden and inner courtyard, which is great, I am all for renovations; However, work starts at 7:55 AM. Let me preface this by saying I am not a late night partyer and we were sleeping by 11PM both nights. What is unacceptable to me is work starting that early, and by work I mean full out hammering and band saws going full force. I envision waking up on vacation in a hotel that calls itself "romatik" in the name, to hear noises of birds chirping and church bells ringing. The noise effected the entire hotel, no where to hide. I mentioned it to the girl at the desk morning one only to have a shoulder shrug (obviously not much she could do). Day two I mentioned it to the manager (to his credit he said he could tell them to maybe tone down the noise in the future) but that didnt help us as we only had two nights. A hotel like this should care solely about the confort of their guests and I should not even have to ask to have work start later. 7:55 AM is way to early for full out hammering and a hotel should at least have the loudness start at 9:30 for crying out loud. Both mornings at breakfast I overheard (the english speaking guests) discussing the annoying early noise. I hate to be one to complain at all (see any of my other reviews, this is the first that is remotely negative). If a hotel cares more about renovations starting early over the confort of their guests then I am gonna look elsewhere when I come back to beautiful Rothenburg. Of note the wifi didnt work at all in my room, but I dont want to kick someone when they are down(heck I didnt even know what wifi was 3 years ago) but in the lobby and restaurant the wifi works fine.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank darniro
Reviewed March 21, 2014

I have stayed here many times and always loved it. The hotel is jut gorgeous - it is amazing to me to be staying in a building built that long ago. It is one of the main sites of the town - having its image on countless souvenirs. The rooms are unique and I like staying in different ones each visit. The family owners are very friendly and just great people - and they speak perfect English. Stephan brews his own beer - 3 types the last time I was there and I tried all 3 - all were great. Dinner in the hotel is very good as well. Wi-Fi works throughout the hotel. A perfect blend of old and new. If you visit Rothenburg ob der Tauber - this is THE hotel to stay at.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 10, 2014

This is a very nice traditional German hotel, no elevator. We arrived early and were allowed to take our pick of the available rooms, doors were open, just walk in and take a look and decide which one you want.
Old style furnishings and antiques abound. Beds were very comfortable. This was our first night in Germany on this trip having driven from Frankfurt Airport. Slept like a log. It was very, very comfortable, Breakfast was a good selection of different items and tea and coffee were both good and hot. unfortunately we couldn't have dinner here as it was the chef's night off!! I believe it is the owner...so I think he deserved it.
The town is just delightful, tons of little streets and window displays/ shops to explore,

Room Tip: Go early...pick your own!!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple