“Typical Franconian fare, but better than most tourist restaurants”
Review of Glocke

Glocke
Ranked #18 of 113 Restaurants in Rothenburg
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We ate here twice for dinner as part of a group. The food quality was very good, and above what I have come to expect from tourist restaurants. Nothing spectacular, but very competent and tasty fare. The decor is nice, what one might expect in this town, and all was clean and in good order. The staff was friendly, and I would rate this restaurant as tourist friendly. Where this restaurant is clearly outstanding is its wine offerings. The owner is a vinter and stocks a fine selection of Franconian wines. I found his own brand to be superior in every way.

This resataurant handles large bus tour groups as well as walk in customers so beware that at certain times it can be extremely busy, with most tables reserved or taken. Eat early to avoid the crush. While we were there two bus loads of Japanese tourists arrived. The staff didnt miss a beat and our service wasnt affected. Clearly well trained and experienced.

I can recommend this restaurant for good solid Franconian fare. Mid scale, not overly expensive, but also tasty and well presented.

1  Thank Anrando

Reviewed December 4, 2012

What a lovely find..................wonderful restaurant that is also a hotel and winery (and they have their own vineyards, off-site).

Their food is Franconian style.........a "region" of Germany. The potato soup is quite good. Their mashed potatoes are the best ever..............I love my mashed potatoes swimming in gravy so I was disappointed when they were served without............BUT..........the smell of butter made me realize that a taste treat was awaiting..............AND IT WAS!!!

The 'wine-sauerkraut' was equally good as were the home-made Bratwurst.

And......their wines are equal to their food, especially (in our opinion) the Muller-Thurgau which is made "medium dry".

The member of the 5th generation works the restaurant, including serving the food. If in Rothenburg don't miss it.

1  Thank gold-vintner
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We experienced this popular restaurant as part of a bus tour to Rothenberg and found the service efficient and cordial. The restaurant is a 5 generation family restaurant (since 1898) known for its local dishes. We had potato soup, bratwurst, sauerkraut and mashed potatoes with apple strudel for desert, and a glass of local German wine. And, it all was very good.

1  Thank LCplus
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We had reserved a table for two in the morning and when we came we had the unpleasant surprise to be seated in the middle of the waiters way. We asked to be reseated at a better table since most of tables were still unoccupied, but were roughly told "not possible!".
The food and the wine we ordered were OK. The service was done slowly without much word or smiles from anyone.
This is a very touristic city, and the restaurateur knows that everyday brings a new crowd and it shows.
September 22, 2012

Reviewed April 30, 2012 via mobile

I had cabbage roll dish, potato and wine tasting course. Normally I don't expect much at the restaurant on the guidebook, but this place was pretty nice in terms of the atmosphere as well as the food. As others write it, the wine tasting is quite good, you can enjoy 5 different small glasses of wine.