“Fantastic hotel and service”

Hotel Herrnschloesschen
Ranked #1 of 46 Hotels in Rothenburg
New York City, New York
“Fantastic hotel and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2011

This hotel offered the best, friendliest, most earnest service I've ever experienced, including stays at places like the Four Seasons and the Ritz-Carlton. When we drove up to the hotel on the narrow, cobblestone streets of the uber-romantic Rothenburg, a sweet, smiling hostess immediately ushered us inside to relax in the lounge with complimentary drinks while they valet-parked our car and ushered our luggage to our room. That type of service persisted throughout our stay. On top of that, the hotel was centrally located and beautiful, our room was great, and breakfast was fantastic (in a nice garden area). My wife and I were definitely not expecting that level of excellence given the price and boutique nature of the hotel. A fantastic find.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank n_mago

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Hong Kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2011

Just spent two nights at Herrnscholsschen with my family of three. The hotel is located in
a historical building but everything is modernized. We stayed at the Bird junior suite which has a separate sitting area a few steps below. It was on the top floor but there is no problem with water pressure from the showers, no doubt a result of German engineering.
Location of hotel is excellent, around the corner from the main market square but nice and quiet at night. Our windows open onto the back garden of the hotel which has a small fountain and falling asleep to the sound of it was just wonderful. The best thing about the hotel, together with its sister property, the Zur Holl restaurant, it is service. This is our first trip to Germany and it gave us the general feeling that the German people is very organized, polite but not particularly warm. At the Herrnscholsschen and Zur Holl, it was different. I would compare it to the warm hospitality you expect of a top resort in Thailand or Bali. Everyone was sincere and caring, taking time to explain the smallest question we have. Only once, at the top rated (by Tripadvisor) Jays Paris have we experienced such excellent service at an European hotel. At quite a few other restaurants when we asked for English menu all we got was a terse "NO". The food was excellent although I would advise against ordering steak if you have been spoiled by prime US/Australian/Japanese beef.

The hotel is not air-conditioned so on a very hot day it may be tough to city folks who are used it. However, I can understand air-conditioning would ruin the exterior of such historical building. We look forward to returning around Christmas time when the whole town of Rothenburg will be turned into a winter wonderland !

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Beverly Hills, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2011

Everything is true. This s a beautiful, special hotel, with special owners. I will keep this brief: discover it for yourself, you will not regret it - perfect in every way.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank fishskis
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2011

I don't always believe what I read on trip advisor so I always book a hotel with trepidation, especially an 'unknown'. The reviews for this one were so good that I took the chance and booked one night for me and my husband as part of our Germany trip. Now I wished I hadn't... I should have booked two nights - or three or four!
The hotel is beautiful - tiny but magnificent. The owners treated us as if we were royalty and spent time talking to us about the hotel and its history. They greeted us like old friends and 24 hours later when we left, I felt that we really were.
If, like me, you are a complete hotel snob then I would defy you to find anything wrong here. The owners have thought of everything from the welcoming glass of champagne and check in in the pretty garden, whilst your cases are being whisked to your room, to the glass of German champagne at the sumptuous (yes, really sumptuous) breakfast the next morning and the warm hug we received as we left. I swear I felt like I would really miss this hotel, and 24 hours later, in another hotel - I really do!
We are so pleased that we chose this little dream of a place - and you will be too.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TrishTelAviv
Hsinchu County, Taiwan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2011

I took on a 2 week trip to europe with my husband in late march / early april. I have to say that our stay in herrnschlosschen in germany was the best part of the trip. Not only were the rooms lovely, just like the pictures provided on their website. The service provided by the staff was superb. We stay in 5 stay hotels in every part of our trip, and I can honestly say that the service from other hotels were no where close.

We arrived about 3pm and checked in for 1 night. Our room had a lovely view facing the church. Then we decided to take walk outside and went back to the hotel for dinner in the garden. I found the price quite reasonable as everything in europe seemed quite expensive. As my husband and I were sharing some portions of our meal, they very thoughtfully served it into 2 portions. We were also served a complimentary dish that the chef had newly created. When we decided it was getting a chilly, we went back to our room for dessert, which the staff brought up for us. When we arrived back in our room, we saw some complimentary chocolates and dessert provided as a welcome gift, whilst we were walking about Rothenburg in the afternoon. Also all the drinks in the minibar/fridge are included in the room charge.
If I ever go to germany again, I definitely go back to rothenburg and stay in this hotel again. Only this time I'll stay in a suite and for a longer stay.

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely! Esp the suites
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kitsuneky
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2011

This tiny hotel in the heart of Rothenburg ob der Tauber is fantastic. From the welcome drink to our car being whisked away and parked for us, to the gorgeous suite we stayed in. Room 7 has two levels and is situated at the top of the building. The building is one of the oldest houses in town, but inside it is lovely and modern, with the character of the old oak beams left intact. A fabulous restoration. Out the back is a beautiful cottage garden, where you can eat or have a drink. The food and service at this little boutique hotel is excellent.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PerthJulie
misssiu@aol.com
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2011

I can't say enough about the hotel and staff, five diamond all the way. They truly went out of their way to ensure we were comfortable. Location can't be beat, but the rooms were large and comfortable with every amenity needed. Breakfast was delicious and plentiful. I really wish we could have stayed here more than one night, it was really that great. The porter even assisted us with fueling our car upon departure, wow you don't find that kind of service any more. We stayed in the butterfly room and it was just charming. Highly recommend this property to anyone traveling to the area, can not be beat!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family