“Great to sit outside”

Cuisines: German
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Scenic view, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Reasonable prices and the food is not bad. Nice to sit outside in good weather, but the flies are really annoying!

Reviewed July 30, 2013

We arrived in Fussen late on our 8th day in Germany. We were travelling with our college age children and two significant others, so 7 in total. It's not always easy travelling with a large group, but overall we had great service all over Germany. Herzl am Rathaus was quiet when we arrived and our service was leisurely, which was fine since we were busy talking and figuring out the menu.

I am gluten free and they were very accommodating. I ended up having eggs and potatoes which were very good. By then I was tired of sausage and sauerkraut! The rest of the group had a little of everything, but they LOVED the spatzle and their version of pizza. There is only one waitress and one cook, so it was not fast, but we enjoyed ourselves nevertheless. At the end, the waitress brought us shots of a local drink....not sure what it was at this point, but it was a nice surprise and tasty.

What set this place way above many restaurants happened later in the evening.....It was an hour after we left Herzl am Rathaus and my cell phone started ringing. It was a local number and when we answered it, it was a woman from the restaurant. I had left my purse in the restaurant. She found my name in my purse and called several hotels to see where we were staying. The hotel gave her my cell phone so she could contact me. She had notified the police so if I called them, they would have a contact person. She came to hour hotel with my purse in tact. I was very impressed! She went to a lot of effort to locate me and thank goodness she did. It was 10pm and we had plans to leave early in the morning to visit the castles and continue to Munich. Losing my purse would have put a real damper on things.

So, like I said before....the food was very good and they were good honest people.

Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

We decided to try this restaurant because it had good reviews. I was given an English menu and as my partner is German he had the usual menu. He noticed that not all the dishes were listed in the english menu which I thought was a bit discriminatory but we stayed anyway because of the reviews. We decided on schnitzel as my partner is German, he wanted me to try it. He said it was the worst schnitzel he had ever had and I agreed. It was dry and overcooked and so thin it was tough to eat. The fried potatoes were deep fried and dry with a few onions thrown in. There was no care involved in making this dish. A McDonald's would have tasted better. We were very disappointed. On the plus side the other dishes looked nice so if you do go avoid the schnitzel!! We personally will not return if in the area

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Dinner was very good! We started with soup having both the potato soup and hunters soup. Both very good. We had beefsteak alpin, alpinschnitzel, and schinkenspatzle (noodles with ham & eggs).
Very good food and service!
Finished our evening with a walk around town.
Great way to end our stay in Fussen!

Reviewed June 22, 2013

We started off with soup, we tried both the Austrian potato and the farmer's vegetable beef. Both were delicious. My wife and I stuck with a light salad and it was very good, but I could have done without the turkey strips which were hard. My kids had more substantial meals and both were wonderful. The spaetzle with mushrooms was the winner, one of the best meals of our 10 day trip. Only one waiter and a cook on duty, but we were treated very well.