“Hotel Sonne - Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Sonne

Hotel Sonne
Ranked #1 of 39 Hotels in Fussen
Italy
“Hotel Sonne - Fantastic”
Reviewed February 13, 2009

We were expecting a nice hotel but were plesantly surprised to find a wonderful hotel. We were accommodated in a newly renovated room, the beds were really comfortable. We especially enjoyed the sauna facility, it was really nice to relax after a day of sightseeing in the cold winter's day. Breakfast was really something special very rich catering for all tastes.
It was the final night of our trip and was a great hotel to end our tour.

• Liked — Fantastic beds and bathrooms
  • Stayed January 2009
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Columbus, OH
Reviewed November 27, 2008

Our stay at Hotel Sonne was a wonderful experience. Very clean, very comfortable, nice breakfast and great location. The staff was very helpful and friendly.

While there, we ate at Romer Keller, a local pub...the food we had at this pub was the best we had on our entire trip through Europe. I highly recommend eating here while in Fussen.

The train station is very close. We took a bus from the train station to visit the Royal Castles. I would visit Fussen again...very lovely village.

• Liked — Clean, comfortable, free internet and the location
  • Stayed November 2008
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2008

On the edge of the old town, Hotel Sonne doesn't look much from the outside, but it is a clean, modern and well designed hotel inside.

The free parking is a bit of a faff at first because Fuessen is busy and you need a swipe card to enter. But you can park in front of the barrier and nip in to sort it out easily enough.

We stayed in a Hohes Schloss room which was large, modern and clean with a balcony. The bathroom with bath and separate shower was also roomy and spotless.

The breakfast was excellent with plenty of choice.

The only criticism of the hotel was the bar on the ground floor. It's very small and doesn't match the rest of the upmarket style. After waiting quite a while for the one over-worked waiter, we gave up and went for a drink in the old town.

All in all, a very high quality hotel. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Clean, modern, large room.
  • Disliked — The bar on the ground floor.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Auckland
Reviewed October 21, 2008

We are four couples from New Zealand who stayed in four rooms for four nights and really enjoyed our stay. Very happy with the location, the staff, the room, the breakfast and the free internet. Beatrice was delightful and so willing to help with our queries. Refering to one of the reviews of experiencing no electricity, I had that expereince too and Beatrice quickly sorted it out as I had not inserted my room card into the slot for the power to come on.
Had the towels been not so worn, I would rate this hotel as excellent. That was the downside. The orange old towels just did not complement the lovely rooms and bathrooms. Overall, it was a pleasure to have stayed there and I , on behalf of my friends as well, would recommend a stay here.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Old orange towels
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
Frederick, Maryland
Reviewed September 28, 2008

We arrived in Fussen and got the Sonne from Rick Steves. The hotel looks great and our room #249 on the second floor was very modern, large, with a really nice bathroom. Everything was fine until my wife woke up to use the bathroom at 1:00 in the morning to find that we did not have any electric. It appeared that it was only our room that did not have electric. We called the desk but no one attends it at night. I got dressed and went down hoping to find someone but no luck. I wrote a note and left on the desk in hopes that someone would come to our rescue. Without electric we could not see to use the bathroom, and the room got hot without A/C. We had to open the window but the traffic noise kept us up. We had asked for a wake up call for 6:30 as we needed to get showered, packed, and hoped some breakfast.. We did not have tickets for the castles so Rick said that we needed to be at the ticket office when they opened at 8:00.

The desk clerk must have came in at 6:15 as she called but did not understand that we did not have electric. I told her that someone needed to get the power on so we could get moving to get to the castles on time. At 6:30 we still did not have electric. I went down to the desk and was told that they did not know when they could get the electic on in the room. I requested another room so we could shower. That had one other room the we packed our suitcases and went to take a shower. By the time we did all of that we could not fit the great breakfast in. We checked out only to be told that we owed the full rate for the room. I objected and the clerk offered a $20 discount on a $200 plus room. I objected and advised that she needed to get a manager, of course none was in the hotel. I still objected asking her if she was roaming around a hotel at 1 to 2 AM looking for someone to turn on the electric so I could use the bathroom and A/C. She offered some additional discount and when we could not come to terms I told her to call the police and see if they thought we got our monies worth. She declined and told us that she would say we refused to pay and told us to leave. We insisted on paying for two glasses of wine that we had that evening that we did not have any complaint about.

I would have paid something like half of the room even though we did not get even half of a night sleep if that would have suited but it seemed like a small discount or else. I left my cell number for someone to call if a manager wanted to discuss but I was not excited about giving them a credit card over the phone if we came to terms but we never heard for anyone. I suspect that when a manager heard and read my note with the time of 1:00 in the morning when I was trying to find someone to help us he knew that we had been done wrong and no one would have expected us to pay.

I think it could have been a great palce but we were just unlucky, however it makes you think what if some thing goes wrong at a hotel where there is no one on duty all night.

• Liked — Modern large room with nice bath
  • Disliked — No clerk on duty at night
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank bpm5515
New Zealand
Reviewed September 18, 2008

The rooms at the Sonne are slightly dated, but clean and tidy. Staff were very helpful and a complimentary bottle of water in each room was a nice touch.

Parking is a problem when you arrive at the hotel, as you need to check in before getting access to the car-park, there is no parking in front of the hotel, and very little parking on surrounding streets. The hotel is right in the centre of town, on a major roundabout, and it can take a pass or two in the car before you work out how to get to it.

There is free internet access at reception, but not very private. You are only about a 5-10 mins drive from Neuschwanstein, and the town of Fussen is lovely to wander around if you have time.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Houston
Reviewed September 16, 2008

We stayed here on my husband's and my trek across europe. When we first entered the room my husband't first question was "How much did we pay for this" I even had to double check. We paid 305 euros for 2 nights which was about the same as everywhere else we had stayed if not a little cheaper than paris. The bed was so comfy. There was a shower and a seperate bath tub and they provided this glitterly bath foam. The view from the room was so lovely with the mtns. There was free internet on two computers in the lobby and you could use the washer and dryer for FREE as well. We had brought travel packets of laundry detergent and some dryer sheets so we didn't have to pay for that, but if you didn't they had some you could buy. The breakfast....oh my goodness. There were like 4 or 5 juices, coffee, and you could ask for hot chocolate. There was meat, eggs, cheese, fruit, yogart, different types of breads. It was one of the best we had if not the best. When you go to breakfast they ask your room number. This confused us since we thought breakfast was free, but when we got to our room we figured out why. They clean your room while you eat so after breakfast your room is all ready made up for you. We were in perfect location to see the castles which is why we went to Fussen. It was a 5-10 minute bus ride and you buy your bus tickets on the bus the hotel can provide the bus schedule. We also had dinner at the hotel the first night since it was late Maximillian's we were the only ones there but the food was good. We will be back one day just to come back to this hotel.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — we loved it all
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple