“Great Location and room”

Altstadthotel Zum Hechten
Ranked #14 of 41 Hotels in Fussen
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We had a really good time staying at this hotel. Typical breakfast with meats, cheese, breads and what not. Good location right in the middle of Fussen and free parking in the back. Front desk was helpful, even the lady with the snappy attitude and we booked all our castles tickets through them which saved a long wait at the ticket office. Room was huge and very comfortable with free wireless internet. Overall no complaints. You can walk to both castles from Fussen (its about 45 minutes), take a bus or short drive. When visiting Neuschwanstein, i would also recommend hiking up to Marienbrucke, and then another 30 minutes or so after to get a really great view looking down on the castle.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 5, 2012

We stayed for three nights recently. Beautiful hotel on a quiet pedestrian only street.
Check in was quick and easy. Staff were very friendly.

We were led to our room expecting just your average hotel room. This was not the case. It was essentially a small apartment! Brilliant! We had a large bedroom, large bathroom with tub and a large lounge room with a lounge suite, coffee table, television and desk. Just perfect!

Great hotel and would recommend to anyone staying in Fussen.

Positives;
Big rooms
Easy check in/out
Friendly staff
Huge bathroom
Free WIFI
Comfortable and quiet nights sleep

Negatives;
Tried to find something but cannot think of anything!

If you need any more info on the hotel or Fussen ask me and i'll do my best to help.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

Recently back from 5 nights at this hotel with friends. We were given great rooms next door to each other. The hosts and staff were very friendly, the food - breakfast and dinner was fine too. Don't forget the sauna after a hard days walking! Not a bad word to say about the place. Hopefully we'll be back.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 25, 2012

There seem to be some really hit and miss reviews of this hotel but our experience was excellent. From the moment we checked in, with a really friendly welcome from what we assume was the manager on the reception desk and his wife, to the moment we left when the 'Senioren Chef' and his wife insisted on giving us a lift to the station with our luggage we were made to feel more than welcome. We had a large clean, spacious room admittedly overlooking the courtyard carpark but as it's small there was absolutely no disturbance or noise. The location couldn't be more central to the old town, the castle, shops and restaurants. Breakfast buffet was extensive and served with a smile by the old couple previously mentioned. We only ate in the very popular restaurant one evening, which was fine, with typical Bavarian menu choices. The only slightly annoying aspect of this was that they insisted on giving us the English version of the menu when due to the odd translations we actually understood the original German version better. really enjoyed Fussen as a base for walking in the surrounding mountains and visiting the castles. Be warned the latter get packed and Neuschwanstein is currently undergoing renovation to the exterior so is partly covered in scaffolding. Would certainly stay here again

Reviewed September 25, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights at this hotel located in Aldstadt Fussen and cannot fault it. The gentleman on reception who checked us in (presumably the owner) was cheerful and seemed delighted we were staying with him and walked us up to our room and allowed us to check in slightly earlier than the stated time. Our room was spacious, nicely decorated and very clean, the bathroom had a powerful shower which was great after a days walking and the bed was very comfy, providing a great nights sleep! Free internet is provided which was a nice touch. The breakfast room was very traditionally furbished and breakfast itself was fresh and plentiful. If I return to Fussen I will definately stay here again.

Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

We agree with all the positive reviews. Our room was large and everything seemed quite new. Decor was blue and light yellow, with nice lighting and storage. Bathroom was large and very clean with a great shower. Yes, many rooms do overlook the small parking lot, but we could also see the palace up on the hill. Breakfast was very nice, not crowded, included eggs and fresh fruit, and was served in a charming room. We walked past several of the more expensive hotels and noticed they were in streets with traffic noise. We loved the quiet of the Altstadt. Even though the hotel was fully booked, we heard nothing from other guests or from outside. Most of all, we appreciated the friendly professional service. Every staff member we met seemed genuinely happy to be there and to have us there as guests. We would love to return anytime!

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Location is great. Rooms are remodeled, bright, and clean. Normally I would such a hotel 4 stars. However...

Don't ask reception staff for anymore than check in and check out responsiblities. I had a very disheartening experience while asking for room service. The restaurant (good and well priced) referred me to reception for room service. I politely waited 1/2 hour for the clerk to finish his work, while he ignored me. He finally decided to attend me when other guests entered. I asked to make an order. He blew up, violently waved his arms at me, ridiculed me in front of other customers, and told me to go to the restaurants.

Needless to say I was shocked and left without making scene. The hotel really has a lot going for it. Howevaer, It is truly sad that one uneducated and/or underpaid staff member can absolutely ruin yor stay. Management should take greater care in who they make the face of their business.

As a side note, I am fairly culturally sensative as served as volunteer for 3 years in a third world country. I also have thick skin as I have worked over 5 years year in public service interviewing a very demanding disgruntled public. So when I said that I was shocked, I would think that the vast majority of travelers would be shocked given the same situation.

2  Thank Wesley L