“No reception at this hotel”
Review of Hotel Ludwigs

Hotel Ludwigs
Ranked #32 of 40 Hotels in Fussen
England, United Kingdom
“No reception at this hotel”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Unfortunately, this hotel's restaurant had burnt down a few weeks before our arrival, so the keys for our room had to be picked up from the Italian restaurant next door. It felt a bit odd to not be greeted on arrival at a reception desk and our room was located in an annexe away from the actual hotel. However, the room was very clean, light and comfortable and we had parking close by. As there was no breakfast included we only paid 77 euro for the one night stay, so very reasonable. Fussen is a good base for visiting the nearby castles and has a pedestrian shopping street and a few restaurants to choose from.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SingaporeStephy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Taubate, SP
Reviewed July 25, 2012

The hotel is in the downtown and you can easily walk around and find very good German food and restaurants. It is only 20 min by bus from the Neuschwanstein castle that is a very romantic and awesome view from the castles and mountains. I have stayed there just 2 days that I think is enough to visit the downtown and the castles. The hotel's restaurant is very good and the breakfast is good as well. I recommend this hotel to everybody that want visit Fussen and are looking for a good price and nice stay.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rafael C
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed July 10, 2012

After reading some of these reviews, I thought I would be ok with booking online and showing up and paying the listed price. Boy was I wrong.

We arrived at 8:30pm, my older parents, 61 & 65 and my wife and I. We booked two rooms online and when we got there, they said "booking.com had overbooked." Well I did the research with booking.com, and they do not overbook. They advertise the rooms that the hotel tells them to advertise.

I hate to speculate, but this is what is running through my head. Based on previous reviews of people saying they "size people up" and charge different rates, I would bet money that they gave our room away to a "walk-in" as they can make more money. Yes, their room rates on their website are more expensive, so why not throw us to the side and fill the two rooms at 6pm for $120+ each rather than wait for the online booked people to arrive and only make $95 each.

The only thing they did was say sorry and point us to another hotel that made us pay in cash, at 9pm after a 4 hour drive across Bavaria. This replacement hotel was very nice and accommodating, but it was outside of the town and we paid the same price (they call it honoring the booking.com rate). More importantly, it forced my older parents to have to walk into town or me drop them off with the car, then I'd return the car and make the walk. Again, we had to pay in cash so we incurred ATM fees, foreign transaction fees and the like to get enough money out.

The kicker is that a few days later I was running our budget numbers as my wife and I are on an around-the-world tour and my parents were just out for two weeks. THEY CHARGED US AS NO SHOW. They had the audacity to say that they had a "new" worker there and didn't know what to push. Well, all four of us walked in, and the two guys we were talking to seemed to know EXACTLY what was going on.

I will say that Booking.com did go above and beyond to rectify the situation and reversed the CC "NO SHOW" charge immediately, so I have no hard feelings with booking.com and will try again with them.

You can find places for the same price or maybe a little bit more and save yourself the hassle. But this is a big goose egg for me!

-----
For more places we've stayed and ate at, visit us at our around-the-world website at http://chasethesummer.com

-Brad & Lana

Room Tip: Save the hassle, stay somewhere else. Even if it's $5-$30 a night more, you'll be giving it...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank BradfordJBoyle

Travelers are raving about these Fussen hotels

Oamaru, New Zealand
Reviewed July 10, 2012

We were originally hoping to stay a night in Fuessen during a popular weekend, but could not find a room online so we booked into a place in nearby Hopfen am See instead. But when we showed up there, they said they had been overbooked and had moved us to their sister hotel in Fuessen. So we made our way to the Ludwig and were very pleased with our stay. The parking in the rear is a bit challenging if you have a big car (or are not a skilled parker), but the rooms are large and comfortable, and there is free WiFi available, too.

If you do stay here (and even if you don't) consider dining at the restaurant downstairs. We sat outdoors on the street and enjoyed the people watching while having one of the best meals of our time in Germany, very well prepared and with fair prices and good portions. How could you go wrong?

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank James G
Tallinn, Estonia
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Hotel positive sides:
Friendly staff, clean rooms, excellent shower / bathroom. Comfortable beds. Nice view from the windows. Hotel located in the heart of the old city and its own parking (for a fee of course).

Negative sides:
The room does not have air-conditioner, so check the forecast before booking. During our stay the atmosphere in our penthouse at 32C outside was next to unbearable. Opening the windows is not possible, due to swarm of mosquitoes on the street at night. There is no permanent concierge. The front desk is located right on the stairs at the entrance to the kitchen.

Service was friendly: we were late for breakfast, but had some cake and tea for free when politely asked. The hotel has no elevator and the stairs steep, but ask someone to help with the bags - and all will be fine.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank virtalex
Glenside
Reviewed June 17, 2012

We did not stay in the hotel. We ate at the restaurant outside of the hotel on the street. The food is AMAZING!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 16, 2012 via mobile

The size of the room are fine ! Location is excellent !B fast is ok

However, w travel with a big group of eight n using a 9 seats travel car , the entrance of car park its just enough to let the car get through
Plus no elevator, even the staff offer help , we still had left most. Of the bags by ourself !
With tge price they charge , I wont recommend to stay here

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family